Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat 5 cable: where to cut your own measure

• 20-07-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

was in Woody's, Homebase, B&Q and while all have boxes of cable for power / coax / telephone / etc etc from which you can cut your own length of cable, NONE of them have Cat5e or Cat6.. Where would I be able to cut a length of about 40 feet myself..

tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Most proper electrical wholesalers (i.e. the ones with all the vans outside) will cut you whatever length you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Hi guys,

was in Woody's, Homebase, B&Q and while all have boxes of cable for power / coax / telephone / etc etc from which you can cut your own length of cable, NONE of them have Cat5e or Cat6.. Where would I be able to cut a length of about 40 feet myself..

tks.

Maplin will cut it to length for you, but you will be paying over the odds like every thing else in Maplin.

You should be able to find a nice length on ebay for cheaper, e.g. this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Hi guys,

tks.

Maplins in town besides smyths toy store, although wholesaler will be a lot cheaper.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Try dealextreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will look and see if there's a label on our 350M box, we've had it ages so I dont know wher it came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

What about Radionics and Farnell
    Ebay is good for pre-made cables, I got some crossovers on there recently because I didn't want the hassle of making my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ebay is good for pre-made cables, I got some crossovers on there recently because I didn't want the hassle of making my own.
    Reminds me of a supposedly senior engineer I used to work with who was asked to make a crossover cable... and crossed both ends.. :D

Thanks guys, to be honest I was kinda surprised that somewhere like Homebase would not have cat5/6 cable, I mean nearly everyone runs Ethernet through their houses at this stage.

Advertisement