Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connolly Station Toilets Charge

Options
  • 20-07-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

20 Cent to spend a penny since May, in a public train station. I had no money, was tempted to pee on the floor!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it means clean toilets and supervision, then it's a cheap pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

I'd easily pay €1 to have a whizz there, clean toilet and junkie free. Have you been in the one in Pearse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What would you consider to be an acceptable charge OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

You haven't travelled much have you? Most of the public toilets on the continent are pay to use. I had to pay 70c to use one in a department store in Brusells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is it someone collecting the money at the entrance? if so just walk straight past him/her, they're hardly gonna drag you out of the toilets in the middle of a hit & miss

and if it's the old coin in the door, just wait for someone to come out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

What would you consider to be an acceptable charge OP ?

There's a turnstyle at the entrance, unmanned but monitored by CCTV and with those Don't-mess-with-me security chaps about.

Re: what to charge, my suggestion to those in Connolly station is:

Have one set of free loos for those who can't/don't want to pay. This can be rough as hell, I don't care.

Have another set of loos with a charge of 50c which can be of higher quality.

LOL this post reminds me of the Father Ted episode on the aeroplane when Ted wandered into the First Class toilets, then had to go to the Pleb Class loos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

The difference between the new toilets and the old Connolly toilets is marked. I'd prefer the new way. If I was paying a fee and it was in the old state, questions would need to be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Can't say I mind paying the 20c charge. The toilet are clean, spacious and most importantly- free of any undesirables. If they keep it that way I'll remain happy to pay.

Have you seen the condition of the toilets in Busarus OP- shocking altogether. As pointed out earlier, it's quite common to have to pay when using the loo on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'll happily pay the 20c in Connolly.
    The old toilets were so, so dark. Realy, why so dark?

OP, look at the toilets in Graingers, the pub across the road. :eek:
    Trust me, go downstairs to the toilets there and Connolly Station will be a 5* hotel hotel compared to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Shzm wrote: »
    You haven't travelled much have you? Most of the public toilets on the continent are pay to use. I had to pay 70c to use one in a department store in Brusells!

St. Stephen's Green Shopping centre still charges to wee too. The only shopping centre in Dublin that does this that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

deandean wrote: »
    20 Cent to spend a penny since May, in a public train station. I had no money, was tempted to pee on the floor!

Only since May? - I would have assumed that they would have had a charge as most central train station charge around Europe.

Certainly the London stations charge and have done so for many many years.

20c - a very nominal charge - makes sure the toilets are clean and free of unsavory scumbags that seem to hang around such places.

Maybe this belongs in bargain alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

St. Stephen's Green Shopping centre still charges to wee too. The only shopping centre in Dublin that does this that I'm aware of.

The Swan Centre in Rathmines also has a charge. 20c I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If it means clean toilets and supervision, then it's a cheap pee.
    D1976 wrote: »
    I'd easily pay €1 to have a whizz there, clean toilet and junkie free. Have you been in the one in Pearse?
    Can't say I mind paying the 20c charge. The toilet are clean, spacious and most importantly- free of any undesirables. If they keep it that way I'll remain happy to pay.

Have you seen the condition of the toilets in Busarus OP- shocking altogether. As pointed out earlier, it's quite common to have to pay when using the loo on the continent.

Couldnt agree more, I'd often use the toilets in Connoly in the morning on the way to work, they were always in bits (but never as bad as Busaras!!) I'd happily pay the 20c to get decent toilets not covered in $hit/pi$$

20c is very cheap for clean ones, about a euro on the continent

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

One good thing about fees is that they usually mean that there will be decent quality. I know in France the free toilets are often smelly and ill-equipped but go to the attended ones and they are well suitable for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Heuston has been charging for at least two years. It's bloody handy because you can pretty much guarantee it's safe and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

It's the same in St. Stephen's Green shopping centre - either 10c or 20c to pee I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

What's worse is 7.00 euro for a single from Kilcock to Connolly and when I went up to pay him he just pockets the 7.00 euro and says go-on 'Cheers Bud' and when I ask him for a receipt he lets out a big sigh. No wonder why the fares are so excessive when their staff are on the stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tordelback wrote: »
    Heuston has been charging for at least two years. It's bloody handy because you can pretty much guarantee it's safe and clean.

yeah, but there's alot of places that offer equally clean toilets for free
    and the charge doesnt guarantee cleanliness, ilac used to charge 20c, and the toilets were in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

Also whilst on that subject i recently used the toilets in Bangkok's main train station which were perfectly clean and FREE !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bluewolf wrote: »

Nope, 20 - 50 cent is the Norm in Germany / Netherlands.

I'm used to it now, rare to find a dirty bathroom here, if it covered in sh(t and p^ss its usually in an Irish bar with free toilets.

Nope, 20 - 50 cent is the Norm in Germany / Netherlands.

I'm used to it now, rare to find a dirty bathroom here, if it covered in sh(t and p^ss its usually in an Irish bar with free toilets.

The motorway stops we stopped at were often a euro with a "discount on coffee purchased" receipt ;s switzerland was 1 or 2 francs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Well, there has been unaminous support for a better class of toilets for a small charge, in lieu of free but dirty/dangerous pits.

It appears also also that 20c is not considered by anyone to be a rip-off.

Thinks I'll just have to take the medicine and ensure I have the coin at hand when it's needed.

Thanks all,

Deandean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

WRENALDO wrote: »
    Also whilst on that subject i recently used the toilets in Bangkok's main train station which were perfectly clean and FREE !

20c would be a days wages out in Bangkok.

One suggestion is to use the toilets in a stationary commuter train if you have a valid ticket to enter the main platform. Trains now use a pumped septic tank system so it no longer get gets flushed directly on to the tracks. Just make sure you the train dosent depart when you are sitting on the can. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Cost of toilet: 20c
    Peace of mind of not being mugged/accosted by junkie folk while having a slash: Priceless!

On another (bum :P) note, anyone noticed a lack of public toilets (free or paid) around busy areas in the city centre? If you need to go and you're on O'Connell street you either walk to Jervis, or have to buy a big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I remember paying 20c in the centre in Dun Laoighre last year. We'd parked there while attending the World Culture festival. Well worth it, IMHO.
    AFAIK if you've bought food in the SG centre food court, just show your receipt and you don't pay to use the toilets.
    bluewolf wrote: »

That's called "euronating" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

bongi69 wrote: »
    Cost of toilet: 20c
    On another (bum :P) note, anyone noticed a lack of public toilets (free or paid) around busy areas in the city centre? If you need to go and you're on O'Connell street you either walk to Jervis, or have to buy a big Mac.

It's a bad business alright. Since my eldest has been toilet trained it's a nightmare taking him into town - there's literally nowhere that doesn't involving barging into a fast food joint or pub, and he's usually in a hurry...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

A common complaint among tourists in Dublin is a lack of public toilets clean or other wise. Are there any in the city centre provided by Dublin City Council ? 20cent seems very reasonable . Though having no change is an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement