Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's Health Forum in Ireland(4/9/10) - 3K/5K/10K

• 20-07-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Is there much interest in this does anyone know? Saturday the 4th September on the grounds of Ardgillan castle in Skerries, Dublin. Reasonable price too

http://www.mhfi.org/ardgillan.htm

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 0 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

Can't make it myself, which is a shame as I do a bit of my training in Ardgillan.

For those who don't know Ardgillan, it's one hell of a hill, not exactly the most welcoming route for those new to running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

I think I'll be running a half mar. down the West that weekend, but Ardgillan is an absolutely beautiful park - a perfect location for this, though it will definitely involve serious hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

plodder wrote: »
    I think I'll be running a half mar. down the West that weekend

Same as, just signed up yesterday. Was considering this as an alternative to the lap of the country drive required for the half but signed up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Peckham wrote: »
    Can't make it myself, which is a shame as I do a bit of my training in Ardgillan.

For those who don't know Ardgillan, it's one hell of a hill, not exactly the most welcoming route for those new to running!
    I love that course , the venue for a few of my only race wins ever :)

Same as, just signed up yesterday. Was considering this as an alternative to the lap of the country drive required for the half but signed up anyway.
    Is that the Louisburgh to Westport one (Sunday 5th)? I ran it two years ago. Nice fast and flat course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Will defo do this one, local enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

plodder wrote: »
    Is that the Louisburgh to Westport one (Sunday 5th)? I ran it two years ago. Nice fast and flat course.

No, doing Dingle on Saturday the 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Doing my 1st ever run at this. One month to go :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can someone help with the course layout, link to a map would be handy.

Planning on doing the 5k myself.

//Edit - this looks like it here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43220301

Nice hill at the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

zAbbo wrote: »
    Can someone help with the course layout, link to a map would be handy.

Planning on doing the 5k myself.

//Edit - this looks like it here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43220301

Nice hill at the end :)

Cheers for putting that up! Is the 10K a two lap race on same course then?

• Advertisement

Cheers for putting that up! Is the 10K a two lap race on same course then?

Think so, from here - http://www.mhfi.org/ardgillan.htm
    The 5km route around the grounds of Ardgillan can be viewed online at: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43220301 Choose the 'Satellite' tab on the map for the best impression. Up to the 4km mark, this is a 'rolling course'. From 4km to 4.5km there is a 70m climb, which is followed by a descent to the 5km mark. All elevation data is available on this online link. The 10km race will be two laps of this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Hi,
    Just wondering do you think this course be a bit difficult for a runner who has just started? I am running last 3 months and can do 5K (slowly) but am a bit worried about the hills in ardgillan. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

I can't even run 5k yet but I reckon that the only real climb is that at the end and it's not too long.

You could always head out and test it beforehand

Pretty easy going with a good bit downhill but the final climb is pretty hard IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Might do the 10k as its a break from training and a bit of hill training as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Whats the story with the 3k is this jsut a walk ? Wouldnt mind racing a 3k but it seems that its free to enter?
    May do the 5k ..

Am still undecided about this as a first race..can do 5K but all those hills??:confused::confused: Any other 1st timers thinking of doing it? Also I wonder is there any women (willing/able to dress as men??)

I'm a first timer doing it, course looks ok bar the last climb

Folks, does anyone know what the 3k course is like, as in hills or not. I know someone who might be interested in doing it and asked me as i mentioned it earlier.

Also are all the courses on grass or is it a mixture of path, road and grass?

Thanks, C.

I would say it is path and a lot of it seems to be track (through the trees) especially up the hill.

• Advertisement

1st timer here too. Looks like a mix of path and track oke. I guess there is some grass too along the bottom of the course and out into the meadow but overall not a whole lot of grass running.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

signed up today for the 10km, it should be a nice spin around.

Well I did it. Signed up for5K! Going to try head out over next few days and do a trial. If I make it Ill let you know how it is!

Some info about the day:
    1) All competitors are asked to arrive between 10.00am and 12.30pm for final registration and to receive their numbers / timing chips.

2) The races will begin at 1.30pm - with the 10k being the first event of the day. This will be followed shortly afterwards by the 5k and, later, the
    3k Fun Run/Walk.

3) As well as the races, there will be a range of other activities (including free health checks) in the park from Noon onwards. You can see
    these online at: www.mhfi.org/ardgillan.htm

Went up to do a trial of this run today in Ardgillan. The hills (or mountains it seemed) are hard going. Will be an LONG run for me it seems!

Good luck to everyone running today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Is there much interest in this does anyone know? Saturday the 4th September on the grounds of Ardgillan castle in Skerries, Dublin. Reasonable price too

http://www.mhfi.org/ardgillan.htm
    Hope the run goes well for everyone today, the hills were a bit slippy earlier when I was up there earlier in the rain.

Just to correct you there too, Ardgillan is in Balbriggan despite the incorrect claims of others.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/ArdgillanCastle/

Good race, very well organised.

Managed to do it in 30mins, which I'm really happy with.

Does anyone know what happened after the races? saw 3 ambulances, guards and fire engine head up to the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Some poor guy collapsed along the route so fingers crossed he's going to be ok. That hill was very tough, not an easy 10k at all. Most people seemed surprised how tough it was. Well organised though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 danielgerrard

a man collapsed at the bottom of the hill before u come to the grass below the playground.i was talkin to a man in the car park who said he was with the man and it wasnt looking good. were do u get ur time?????

were did u get ur result. that man isnt doing to well i was talking to a man that was with him and he said it wasnt looking good

Saw 3 ambulances and a fire brigade flying into the place but heard there was a number of people who collapsed or fell on the surface. Hope everyone was alright and saw one guy who was fairly well bandaged up who may have fallen.

Course was a bit silly for something aimed at getting people involved in fitness in my opinion. A hairpin bend and some sharp turns on gravel paths weren't the best idea and to do them twice. The hills were just savage and while i heard it was hilly, that course was beyond hilly and a bit cruel. Have to say i don't mind hills normally but felt like pulling out at halfway. Decided to struggle on and finished in 44.04.

It would have been a far better event if they had based the course around the front and back lawn of the castle and not all over the place as it was very hard to steward the event over such a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

anybody know if the times are posted anywhere

were did u get ur result.

Just my own time according to watch.

It was certainly challenging for a beginner, but I guess the majority of the crowd weren't beginners.

I timed myself and about 4pm, i got a text telling me my time and each lap time but i entered online so maybe thats why i got the text

• Advertisement

Just wonderin if u found were the results are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Also registered online but no text - maybe if a few of the OTT survey people had been there to explained how/where/when chip times work it would have been better?

I think it was badly organized even when that man collapsed there was no stewards around and when they got one he didn't no first aid. There wasn't an ambulance there either. I was told I'd get a text in an hour or 2 but still nothing.and it doesn't say anything on any website. It was my first run so wanted to no how long it took me

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

results are up here

Looking at the 5 and 10 k times, it does show the course was quite tough. Anyway 10th for me in the 10k.

• Advertisement

Well done, 19th for me in 5k. Very happy with that all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

a man collapsed at the bottom of the hill before u come to the grass below the playground.i was talkin to a man in the car park who said he was with the man and it wasnt looking good. were do u get ur time?????

Seen in the paper the other day that the poor chap who collapsed passed away. RIP

They are putting it down to SADS. I don't know about other posters on this forum but I get a GP check up twice a year to make sure everything is as it should be. Might be worth looking into if you haven't been in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on Wednesday I was at the funeral of the guy who collapsed. He's the brother of a friend of mine. I didn't know him personally. Incredibly sad. It was a heart attack and he was in his late twenties. Had been running for a few months. Senseless and shocking.

Edit: Heh. Posted at the same time.

Very sad news all right. RIP. The issue has been discussed here before, specially with respect to marathon running. Someone who has an undiagnosed heart condition is basically a ticking time-bomb. It could be a game of football, a marathon, or in this case a 10K that does it.

So, +1 for the medical checkups. I've been a bit remiss myself in recent years, though by coincidence, I'm booked in for one next week.

A colleague at work dropped me the piece in the Herald this morning. Very sorry to hear and my sympathies to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

I endorse the calls of earlier posters re a health check. As i come from a family of heart issues down the generations, if you haven't had a full health check, go do it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Very sad news, had a scary issue myself earlier in the year with heart fluttering and had all the tests done - put down to dehydration in the end. so +1 on tests when taking up running and on ongoing basis

RIP

Advertisement