Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Box - Channel 4 - Breaking up when BB is on

Options
  • 20-07-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Anyone else getting an issue on Sky when watching Channel 4 in the evenings? Whenever we try to watch Big Brother (or record it) the channel breaks up and skips and garbles and becomes unwatchable. I think I may have seen the same issue on C4+1, E4 or E4+1 etc but to be honest I am not sure. It may only be Channel 4. Weird thing is, it mainly seems to only occur whenever Big Brother is on. Maybe it is Sky's way of telling me I shouldn't watch this crap, but I'll be honest, I do enjoy it.

I've had the Sky Box for 2 years and this problem has only started in the last month. I used to think it was the hot weather but now it seems to happy every night. Could it be a congestion issue? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭John mac

hands free phone in use nearby by any chance? (cordless not hands free)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would be good to have this subject as a sticky - it seems to come up every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

John mac wrote: »
    hands free phone in use nearby by any chance?
    Or a cordless landline handset? They are supposed to cause interference. I suppose the OP should thank his lucky stars; it could be happening when there's a decent programme on!

Sorry; couldn't resist!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

AshtownGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone else getting an issue on Sky when watching Channel 4 in the evenings? Whenever we try to watch Big Brother (or record it) the channel breaks up and skips and garbles and becomes unwatchable. I think I may have seen the same issue on C4+1, E4 or E4+1 etc but to be honest I am not sure. It may only be Channel 4. Weird thing is, it mainly seems to only occur whenever Big Brother is on. Maybe it is Sky's way of telling me I shouldn't watch this crap, but I'll be honest, I do enjoy it.

I've had the Sky Box for 2 years and this problem has only started in the last month. I used to think it was the hot weather but now it seems to happy every night. Could it be a congestion issue? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, A

Had this problem two ,I got it fixed by a satellite dish realignment
    was only out by a fraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Hi all,

Cheers, A

The gods of good taste? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 AshtownGuy

My flatmate was out late yesterday, and there was no problem with Channel 4. I'm beginning to think it may be just him. It only started when he moved in. Maybe it's his iPhone?

that could be it.

try turning it off when ch4 is affected.

The Irish Channel 4 mux is on 12480 V. As the high band LNB LO is 10.6 GHz this means the frequency on the downlead is 1880 MHz. Could be a DECT cordless phone (or a GSM mobile phone on the 1800 band) if the cable is badly shielded and the phone is near the box or cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ghall

Hi all,

Cheers, A

I had the same problem. Sky came out and moved the dish. Had no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

I've been having the same issue the last week or so. Totally broken up picture, mostly on E4 but tonight on Channel 4 and always at BB time or BBLB time. It's doing my head in to be quite honest! I keep getting a message to switch off the Sky Plus box for 5 minutes which sometimes works but hasn't tonight. :mad:

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to believe that it truely is the God of Good Taste trying to stop me from watching BB.

Seems fine on C4 until BB starts and then gets all corrupted. Don't believe that moving the dish or turning a phone off will work as it's only when BB is on. In fact I find that it I sit in one position and my mate sits in another it works fine.

Truely baffled...

did you try turning the phone off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

I'm beginning to believe that it truely is the God of Good Taste trying to stop me from watching BB.

Seems fine on C4 until BB starts and then gets all corrupted. Don't believe that moving the dish or turning a phone off will work as it's only when BB is on. In fact I find that it I sit in one position and my mate sits in another it works fine.

Truely baffled...

Things to try:

1. Move the BB router to a different location
    2. Check the cable connections and check that they are not loose or poorly fitted.
    3. Replace the satellite cable with a type less prone to interference e.g. PH100 type.

[edit] I saw BB and thought Broadband, not that other muck.

I was thinking maybe it's only the programs that I have set to record on series link? So, I've switched that off and I'm going to see if it helps tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

as has been stated problem is caused by interference from Dect phone or Router in your own or neighbours house and poorly screened cable or outlet plate. Is there a continuous cable from the dish or is a wall plate used? If it is a standard tv coaxial socket and not a f connector this is the most likely suspect. Very common dodge of cowboy installers.
    For a quick fix on channel 4 add it on other channels ( 10714 horizontal, 22000, 5/6)

Actually mine has been fine since I switched off the series link record...strange indeed! Also kinda sucks if I can't record anything now! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Highway61

Karsini wrote: »
    The Irish Channel 4 mux is on 12480 V. As the high band LNB LO is 10.6 GHz this means the frequency on the downlead is 1880 MHz. Could be a DECT cordless phone (or a GSM mobile phone on the 1800 band) if the cable is badly shielded and the phone is near the box or cable.
    Broadband modem was the problem in my case .,modem was really close to the coax feeds . moved the modem and the channels come in perfect .The problem was only ever on channel4 group .Thanks for the tip :-) :D

Thanks for everybody's help on this one. I found the source of the problem. The wires going into the Sky box were loose and there must have been interference causing the problem. Once I fixed the wires it ceased. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭tlaavtech

Likewise, thanks for the heads-up on DECT/WiFi. I have been trying for the last few years too sort out CH4. Was putting it down to cableing/LNB/HD box - the lot!

(Luckily, we never watched Ch4 much anyway, but at least I can fix it now!!)

Advertisement