Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something for the two corners of my garden!

Options
  • 20-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Was wondering could someone give me some advice on some nice flowers or something for the two corners or my garden. Got some good soil and would you like to plant something with loads of colours as it looks very bare.

s5030110.th.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

Anyone please looking for something nice colourful maybe 3-4 feet in height over more some please help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I find a lot of posts remain unanswered in here. its not really very welcoming really. anyway i would recomend a trellis with a climbing flower like a clematis with a small fuschia at the base. maybe a ros on the other corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I find a lot of posts remain unanswered in here. its not really very welcoming really. anyway i would recomend a trellis with a climbing flower like a clematis with a small fuschia at the base. maybe a ros on the other corner.

There is no point answering unless you have something reasonably useful to say. In fact there are several people on this forum who make an effort to reply to queries, but people are not available on demand.

I saw this question but did not answer as I felt I would have to get too involved in the quality of the soil, the direction of the sun and the fact that there really is not very much that will provide colour all year. Also it is difficult to tell how big the area is.

The suggestions given are good, depending on the direction of the sun. I would suggest a clematis montana as it is very vigorous. However if the sun is at the other side of the wall the clematis will just go up and hang over the other side and give your neighbours all the flowers. Fuschia is ok but they are mostly annual that give the best flowers, so you would need to bring it into shelter over the winter, or get a new one each year.

I suggest you get out all the buttercups that are taking over, they have deep, persistant roots so you will have to be careful digging them out. Dig in some compost or bagged manure then cover with a weed suppressant membrane and plant a few shrubs through cuts in the membrane. Then top with bark mulch.

Shrubs you could try are weigela, choisya, broom, roses, spirea, holly (silver king is the female that has berries) slow but very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i have to say ive found this forum very helpful and very welcoming..any of my post have been replied to in a very fast helpful way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've a pretty Fuschia in a similar spot in my garden, when it flowers it has a dark pink outside and a deep purple on the inner petals. You can't really appreciate the colours in this pic as it hadn't fully flowered but when it does it's stunning!!

Fuschia.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Agree with the holly suggestion - great to stay native if you can. might be nice with a gorse bush alongside, nice contrast in rich colours, won't get too big, evergreen & berries on the holly in winter. Thats the plan for my garden this Oct anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

take a look at a uk site called scoot, the last time i looked the had a nice offer for £35 for quite an amount of plants, (cottage garden i think).

Advertisement