Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Player-Same old story

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I really wish politics, ALL politics, would be kept out of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

5starpool wrote: »
    I really wish politics, ALL politics, would be kept out of football.

So do most people, including me, but the hassle that would be involved in an All-Ireland team wouldn't be worth the effort.
    And you'd have to segragate the home support from the other home support.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

baz2009 wrote: »
    So do most people, including me, but the hassle that would be involved in an All-Ireland team wouldn't be worth the effort.
    And you'd have to segragate the home support from the other home support.

I didn't mean in that regard. I meant in the regard that the knuckle draggers from both sides of the political divide had no influence on public issues. By this I mean that in an ideal world, people born in NI would play for NI regardless with no fear of intimidation, and that people down here would not disparage any players that play for a team that hundreds of years old hate dictates they dislike.

Also, some of the comments that are insinuating "You must inherently support celtic if you are Irish" belong to a bygone age imo. If someone supports celtic, then fair play to them. Similarly if someone has no grá for celtic, then equally good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    It depends why they "don't like" that team though.

And it's fair to say that it's because of their Protestant history and the affinity these fans (and plenty of normal non-bigoted Irish fans too) feel for Celtic as a Catholic club.

We're not just talking any local rivals here.

Big big assumption there. My hatred of Rangers has nothing to do with their portestant ethos and history but it has to do with their sectarian anti catholic and anti Irish ethos. Also while i dont deny the catholic hostorical links with Celtic, to call it a catholic club is way off the mark and is typical of the lazy stereotypes used by some media.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rangers are your Joker though, your Lex Luthor. Without them Celtic would cease to be relevant completely, and vice versa. By all means hate them if it enhances your enjoyment of supporting Celtic but remember that without them you'd be nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LOLs at those who think we have no problem in the South with bigots, racists and misguided republican scum.

Rangers are your Joker though, your Lex Luthor. Without them Celtic would cease to be relevant completely, and vice versa. By all means hate them if it enhances your enjoyment of supporting Celtic but remember that without them you'd be nothing.

I hate them because of what they and their fans represent. If Rangers ceased to exist, Celtic would of course remain very relevant, they are a big club with a huge fan base all over the world. While those with little knowlkedge of the club and it's history might define them in terms of their relationship with rangers, rela fans know what the club menas and what it stands for. I think both club's their days in the SPL are numbered anyway and breaking free from that clustrophobic environement would be of benefit to both clubs.

noodler wrote: »
    LOLs at those who think we have no problem in the South with bigots, racists and misguided republican scum.

I dont know anyone in this thread that said we hadnt any problems with such groups. far from it. What's your point?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I dont know anyone in this thread that said we hadnt any problems with such groups. far from it. What's your point?

It's probably a misunderstanding but that seems to be exactly what you said yourself.
    Dont know of any bigots on the republic side.:confused:

I would understand that the same way, so the miscommunication was probably mostly on your side.

• Advertisement

It's probably a misunderstanding but that seems to be exactly what you said yourself.

I would understand that the same way, so the miscommunication was probably mostly on your side.

In wider society of course there are problems with all sort of hateful extremist groups. My point was that this rarely manifests itself among the Republic's football support. As someone who goes to all home games and a couple of away games each year that has been my experience over the years. Obvioulsy some may have had different experiences.

Advertisement