Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of joining Orwell Wheelers ?

• 20-07-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hello,

I'm thinking of joining a cycle club in the Autumn,anyone any opinions on Orwell Wheelers ?
    I have really only been cycling since this year. I have completed four sprint tris, best I'm doing in races is around the 41 min mark in races for 20k. I need lot work on it.
    I really just want a group to do some Winter training with, learn some technique etc. The longest I've cycled is 8ok around the Wicklow hills, Sally Gap etc but I usually just do 40-50k myself.

Any recommendations would be great,

Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hello

hello back

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/

Great club and great and talented group of ladies as well from all abilities. The winter spins start in october and you can join a spin for a try as well. They have mixed and ladies only spins as well. Been in club for 4 years and this year that I am more involved within the club I can see the advantage in training with other people and getting advice from stronger riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I joined them last year to start racing and they have been very supportive and a friendly bunch of people.

With where you are cycling-wise you would be more than prepared to start with the group spins in the Autumn.

The club is about 50/50 between racers and non-racers; both are well catered for whether you want to start road racing or not and the group spins tend to be a good mix of each.

There is quite an active ladies section too (I am guessing from your username you are female) with a very successful open women's league run by Orwell this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you ve come to the right place to ask ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    I am guessing from TT Time username you are female

Blorg you cheeky *****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

me@ucd wrote: »
    you ve come to the right place to ask ;)

Boards Cycling Forum also known as the Orwell Appreciation society:).

As a matter of interest who is the A4 with the olympic rings tattoo on his leg? He did Robinstown on Weds. Nice tatt what was if for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I did a few Sunday runs with Orwell when I was working in Dublin a few years ago and found everyone really sound. What I noticed most different from my home club was the number of teenagers out, which was great to see.

Luckily I avoided the initiation ceremony as I had aleady been subject to that in my regular club.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

shaungil wrote: »
    Boards Cycling Forum also known as the Orwell Appreciation society:).

As a matter of interest who is the A4 with the olympic rings tattoo on his leg? He did Robinstown on Weds. Nice tatt what was if for?

Enda S. He did the Paralympics. Races with the Vets most Sundays.

Thinking of joining myself. Much closer than present club for training spins.

Planet X wrote: »
    Enda R. He did the Paralympics. Races with the Vets most Sundays.

Cheers he did a few stints on Sunday and was appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

There's another club you could consider - Boardwell Wheelers CC*

Some fantastic talent in it :rolleyes:

(*Note given consideration of the likely readers of this thread, I'll clarify that the above is not actually a real club, merely my feeble attempt at humour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

There's another club you could consider - Boardwell Wheelers CC*

Some fantastic talent in it :rolleyes:

(*Note given consideration of the likely readers of this thread, I'll clarify that the above is not actually a real club, merely my feeble attempt at humour)

I hear you have to have a Planet X to join though...

• Advertisement

I hear you have to have a Planet X to join though...

and be obsessed with power data. ;)

Do you think the OP has been suitably scared.

any inseriousness have not heard anything but good things about Orwell but being on DNS Swords are stuck with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SavannahRose

Thanks for the responses. Yes think I will go with Orwell in October so.

Hopefully my TT time ( ahem Blorg) wil improve then:)

Blorg should be expected to mentor you based on his smart comments. Come on Blorg step up

Blorgwell Wheelers

LiqiBlorg.
    Blorgtana
    bl OGR2

ASO - Amaury Sport (bl)Organisation belongs to the French press group, E.P.A (Philippe Amaury Publications), which owns the newspapers and magazine publications l’Equipe, France Football, l’Equipe Magazine, Vélo Magazine, Le Parisien and Aujourd’hui in France. The group has also developed an audio-visual branch, with the creation of l’Equipe TV, and new technologies with the web-sites www.lequipe.fr and www.leparisien.fr, to such an extent that it is today one of the key figures in the French media world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

blorg wrote: »

The club is about 50/50 between racers and non-racers; both are well catered for whether you want to start road racing or not and the group spins tend to be a good mix of each.

But most of the racers and racers with to many excuses for not going to fast haha and look more like non racers

And i have loads of excuses !! wrote the book

Advertisement