Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Shops In Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

Also why is Twilight Princess for gamecube so god darn expensive on ebay, €80!? yeah right!

Here's a kick in the balls:

Some guy sold it on Adverts.ie for 15 yoyos, a few weeks ago. Poor chap had no idea of its worth, agreed the sale, and then, BOOM! Thread got spammed with "Ye gorra ripped loik" sort of posts.

Cheapest I've seen it for since would be about 40 quidish, but that's with a scratched, unboxed disc and a waterdamaged manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Balasubbie wrote: »
    Here's a kick in the balls:

Some guy sold it on Adverts.ie for 15 yoyos, a few weeks ago. Poor chap had no idea of its worth, agreed the sale, and then, BOOM! Thread got spammed with "Ye gorra ripped loik" sort of posts.

Cheapest I've seen it for since would be about 40 quidish, but that's with a scratched, unboxed disc and a waterdamaged manual.

I got a free copy of it recently :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Jaysus really? €15! Poor fella. Ah I'd buy it to play it only, I wouldnt be looking for a mint copy, just one that plays. But there is so many fakes on ebay with cd only I find.
    I do really wanna play it after I play Windwaker so I might as well just save up for a copy and get it after xmas or something.

€82 here its sealed though, I guess for collectors thats what you want. Would you spend that much on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The thing with having sealed things though is always the dilemma of whether to open it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

The thing with having sealed things though is always the dilemma of whether to open it or not

Savagly rip that sucker open with your teeth pop it in the cube and play the sh1t outta it otherwise get yourself a Darth Vader hat and stay in your room wishing you had a woman:D

We all love a sweet collection but games are meant to be played and enjoyed, leaving them in the packaging on the off chance that they'll be worth a few quid some day is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

I dunno if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but that new video game place of Grafton Street, just on the left past Captain America's going toward the green, 3D games, is dealing a bit in retro gaming, they've got a bit of PS1 stuff, Dreamcast/Gamecube hardware for sale, and older stuff in the counter case near the cash desk (Megadrive and N64).

It's not the most awe-inspiring retro place I've seen, but it's cool to see an independent trader making a go of it. Hope that and Rage goes long enough to encourage others to get into the market. I mean, they're both smart, in that all their stock isn't based on retro gaming, but just enough to be a draw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whats more surprising is that for a retro gaming retailer to be opening in that site at all.
    Rents on Grafton St are the most expensive around, and that translates into the vendor having to make every inch of shelf space work hard, generate the most profit to go towards paying that rent.
    If someone can make some tatty copies of Fur Fighters pay that off, good luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's the thing I can't understand. A few years back I was talking to the guys in Game after they moved from Grafton street to Dawson Street. They were saying they just couldn't afford the rent. And they're a pretty big store. Good luck to them indeed. :)

I keep meaning to drop in on the way home from work but forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's not worth it, the Mega Drive games are all sports, and there were only 5 of them. The Ps1 games were again, all sport except a copy of Time Crisis, and were all €15. Absolute rip off prices, I assume thats how they think they'll pay the rent, but the place was empty when I was there, and the staff weren't exactly welcoming, they looked at me like I'd interrupted their private conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TomG29

Hi lads,

Stumbled on this thread and just out of curiosity if a new independent retailer were to open up selling retro games (and I mean serious stuff, not one tacky shelf devoted to it) how much business do you think it would do? Or would it be better just to operate as a website basis? It seems that it's difficult for Irish gamers to get a hold of old games withoiut importing from the UK (at best) as it is at the moment.

Any input appreciated, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Finally got to check out the rage yesterday. The guy behind the counter was pretty friendly and helpful. Almost picked up a copy of kingdom hearts but it had the wrong disc in it so I got Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions instead.
    I'm definitely going to head back soon and pick up some carts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Checked out Rage today, Not bad. Bought myself Wave racer 64 and two Mega Cd games. Must check back there shortly, top see what eles they have. Had every Console but not a 3DO Dam it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

damn so it was you who bought those Mega-CD games. Its great place and really taking off. starting to build large collection now. I will bring in my retro duplicates soon for credit. I have DC, Jaguar, Megadrive and N64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I think there's like a 2nd hand shop on talbot st that sells old games (on the right hand side if you face o'connell st). He's got games and DVD's cd's etc in the window and all of the games are behind the counter, so it's a bit of a pain trying to browse through the games without feeling self conscious cos you're just waiting on the guy to ask if he can help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah it's called GameSexChange*. Over priced and a poor selection. The Rage is really the only place wothwhile going to!

*Capital letters may/may not be in the wrong place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Yeah it's called GameSexChange*. Over priced and a poor selection. The Rage is really the only place wothwhile going to!

*Capital letters may/may not be in the wrong place
    It's worth popping in to check what he has every now and then, and there usually is/was a box of more reasonably priced loose carts behind the counter.But yeah from memory the meg games were about the 10 euro mark , where as Rage seem to be 6-8 (maybe a bit more for odd stuff).
    hopefully he has a price restructure as its nice to have two or more ports of call for retro stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Rage is great - walked in off the street two weeks ago and walked out with a few bits (I paid!)

Delighted to see them back in operation after the immense setback of the xmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, it wasn't there FU either, the guys upstairs left the tap on, plank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

What's the deal with this Rage shop where Road Records was? I was amazed at the amount of gear they had! When I heard about it I assumed it'd be rubbish, like just a few PS1 games and that but they've hundreds of stuff! Even had an Atari Jag hooked up for demo play.

Where'd all the stuff come from? Someone must be going over to UK to trade there as it's always been hard to find retro stuff here in the lieks of charity shops and that.

On prices at a glance they seeemed ok. Miles better than yr man on Talbot St (lol) and just a few quid more than internet which I suppose makes sense since it's a shop in a city where rents are an arm&leg as mentioned.

What are they like on trade ins? I've a Dreamcast with 2 controllers sitting around that I don't need.

Advertisement