Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Kinect officially priced + Bundles

• 20-07-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106913p1.html
    ...First up, the price. Kinect will have a suggested retail price of $149.99, as many online retailers have recently guessed. The news is that Kinect will be bundled with a free game, Kinect Adventures. All first-party Kinect games will have a suggested retail price of $49.99 and Microsoft expects that to be the standard, though it is leaving third-party pricing up to those publishers.

Kinect on its own comes with a game for $150.
    At least one third-party game will follow that standard. Microsoft has announced that Dance Central, from Harmonix and MTV Games, will also retail for $49.99.

For those new to Xbox 360, Microsoft will have a special Kinect console bundle available at the November 4 launch of the sensor. For $299, the bundle will include an Xbox 360 console, the Kinect sensor and Kinect Adventures. The Xbox 360 will be the previously confirmed $199 redesigned Xbox 360, not the 250 GB model that has spurred sales in the past month....

Kinda annoyed the Kinect bundle with the new console is just the 4GB one. It's why I held of buying the 360 S. Im sure that shops will do their own bundles with the 250gb S and Kinect.

I do like how the 4gb has a matte finish though, I think I'd prefer that over the glossy version.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Too expensive for an impulse buy.

I'll definitely be waiting for the reviews (and some decent games) before even considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I think I'll still be getting it. $50 games will translate to €40 over here, that's not too bad. And if I can get a decent bundle with the 250gb S I'd be pretty happy.

People who just bought the new console though, probably won't pick up the Kinect at that price on it's own.

Nice of em to throw in a free game, albeit the one that was considered the worst in critics eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

€150for connect... Bit of a rip off, watched some videos of the water craft game...looks like it would be fair boring after a while, theyll have to release some decent games first before i fork out money on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's 150 Dollars, so that'll translate to around 125 Euro in stores. That's impulse buy territory for me, besides, looking at the demos on Youtube, it looks incredible. Bit laggy - but I'm sure they'll have that sorted on time.

It's 150 Dollars, so that'll translate to around 125 Euro in stores. That's impulse buy territory for me, besides, looking at the demos on Youtube, it looks incredible. Bit laggy - but I'm sure they'll have that sorted on time.

According to eurogamer its gonna be 150 euro with a launch game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-confirms-kinect-price

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    According to eurogamer its gonna be 150 euro with a launch game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-confirms-kinect-price

That's the RRP. The RRP for the 250gb S was €250, but shops sold it for less than that.

rizzla wrote: »
    That's the RRP. The RRP for the 250gb S was €250, but shops sold it for less than that.

One shop, hmv, they normally are cheaper on release anyway, still 150 dollars does not equate to 150 euro...as usual we get screwed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looking at what Play did with the Move bundle, $99 translating to €70, I think we'll see some kind of discount at a retail level. Still though, need to see some good games on the horizon before I splash out.

Well the other shops had great bundles.

Kinect + Kinect Adventures + Dance Central for €150 would be a killer bundle I could see shops doing.

Probably wouldn't be Dance Central cause I think anyone who's getting Kinect will get that game regardless if it's in a bundle or not, but I can dream.

More than likely it would be..

Kinect + Adventures + Sports for €150

gizmo wrote: »
    Looking at what Play did with the Move bundle, $99 translating to €70, I think we'll see some kind of discount at a retail level. Still though, need to see some good games on the horizon before I splash out.

Main difference between the US and Eu Move bundles though is that the US get a pack in game and the EU just get a demo disc, which accounts for the price difference between dollar and euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Official Microsoft Irish pricing

Kinect sensor plus Kinect Adventures : 149.99euro
    Kinect sensor Kinect adventures plus new 4GB Xbox360 slim : 299.99euro
    New 4GB XBOX360 : 199.99 euro

New xbox has a 4GB internal flash memory buit in wi-fi and touch sensitive button. So basically a slim with no hard drive.

Games including the animals one, the racing one etc retail at 49.99euro

Sure deals will vary from shop to shop but expect to pay around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Much prefer the matte finish, although I was hoping for a white option. Not going near Kinect at that price.

Main difference between the US and Eu Move bundles though is that the US get a pack in game and the EU just get a demo disc, which accounts for the price difference between dollar and euro.
    Ah, indeed you're correct. Did that change since E3 by any chance? I seem to remember Tretton mentioning the bundle but not the game for $99?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€150 for a fancy EyeToy? Pass.

Ignorance must be bliss. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm with furry on this one... That's massively overpriced for such a gimmicky gadget!

tman wrote: »
    I'm with furry on this one... That's massively overpriced for such a gimmicky gadget!

Dunno, people have bought more expensive plastic instruments and they just work with a certain genre of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Me too, you could buy another (older) 360 for €150 thats a stupid price to be asking first adopters for something that doesn't have the game library to back it up. I had a look at all the launch games and they are dominated by party/dance/fit games that you can get out of the bargain bucket for the Wii.

I think you are better off waiting if you are thinking about getting it, at least then the price will be lower and you can also be sure that some sort of decent game range will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

But i did spend over 200 on a Wii so i have a track record for buying overpriced gimmicky gadgets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dunno, people have bought more expensive plastic instruments and they just work with a certain genre of games.

You leave rock band out of this ya hear me, I'll not hear a bad word against her :D

The little curiosity I had about this though has vanished on seeing the prices :( Way to much for as said for impulse, it's success will lie heavily on support of 3rd party dev's (and their continued support of it) and the quality of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

they shud knock a bit off... or even make it 99$ for it and the game, you can get a friggin xbox for 150! or a wii for a bit more even.. its just an add on accessory...

but i'll probably still get it for christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will probably wait till this goes down in price, and if some good games come out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They're seriously going to charge €50 each for Joy Ride/Kinectimals/Adventure/etc.? I would have thought they'd have bundled them with the hardware like Wii Sports as they seem like glorified tech demos in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Do you remember when 360 first party games where cheaper, then gears came along and that went out the window. they should have the games at a slightly lower price at least initially.

They're seriously going to charge €50 each for Joy Ride/Kinectimals/Adventure/etc.? I would have thought they'd have bundled them with the hardware like Wii Sports as they seem like glorified tech demos in all honesty.
    But they're different games, developed by different teams and cover completely different genres. You've listed a racing game, a Nintendogs-type game and Wii Sports-esque type game there, hardly all the same.
    Varik wrote: »
    Do you remember when 360 first party games where cheaper, then gears came along and that went out the window. they should have the games at a slightly lower price at least initially.
    Nope, and why would they do that? Development costs are the same for MS as they are for everyone else. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    Nope, and why would they do that? Development costs are the same for MS as they are for everyone else. :confused:

The first party games were cheaper at the start, after the 1st gears came out the price was set to the same price point as 3rd party, i never said that was a bad thing as games have got more expensive this generation, my point was do you believe a Kinect game is worth that and even when the Kinect controller is new to develop for i don't think the cost of development justifies that price.

The price should be lower for these game at the start to entice people with Kinect being new, set it higher when a great games that will move systems by itself comes out, Dance Central is the only game that could justifies that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Was considering it simply for the swish swish menus and the hope of good games, but at 149 i think i'll wait until i see some really good indie games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Yeah, I can't believe people pay so much for motorbikes when they're just fancy bicycles.

Or for mobile phones when their just fancy versions of two cans and a piece of string.

Or games consoles when they're just fancy board games.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Right now I'd probably agree with the statement that it's a fancy EyeToy. In that it's gimmicky with no stand-out games warranting the hardware purchase. That of course can change, but personally I think it makes sense to wait it out and see what games appear. Not like the Kinect won't be for sale in 6 or 12 months time (and possibly cheaper)

• Advertisement

The first party games were cheaper at the start, after the 1st gears came out the price was set to the same price point as 3rd party, i never said that was a bad thing as games have got more expensive this generation, my point was do you believe a Kinect game is worth that and even when the Kinect controller is new to develop for i don't think the cost of development justifies that price.
    If anything they'd be more expensive initially as the the development cost is higher as companies get to grip with the hardware.
    The price should be lower for these game at the start to entice people with Kinect being new, set it higher when a great games that will move systems by itself comes out, Dance Central is the only game that could justifies that price.
    How lower though? Also, when people haven't gotten their hands on them outside of some demos at E3 and conferences, how can people say they're not worth it yet? Kinect Adventures, for example, has over 20 different modes of play. Now while I'd imagine there'll be some similarities between a few of them, on paper it at least sounds to offer plenty of variety. As for the others, I just think it's worth waiting to see how they end up before criticising them.

Advertisement