Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Kinect officially priced + Bundles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I was going to get Kinect anyway, I'll be honest.
    But I really don't see what all the complaints about the price are.

It's €150.00 and that's it.
    No more costs.

No buying another Wiimote, and another Nunchuck.
    Or three more if you want to play 4-player.

No buying more Move wands, or Nunchucks, especially seeing as for half the games on the Move you need two wands!!!
    So 2 player means 4 wands!!!!!

No having to buy a Kinect "Motion Plus" for everyone of your existing controllers.

No having to buy plug and charge kits for your controllers, and having to wait for your batteries to charge.

Put it this way.

Wii

2 player

Extra Wiimote: €41.99
    Nunchuck: €21.99
    Motion Plus: €25.49
    Play and charging Station: €20.99

(all from Play.com)

So that's €110.46!!!!!

So the whole "it's almost as expensive as the Wii" argument is a load of crap.

And lets not forget Kinect supports up to 4 players supposedly, I used 2 players cause the Kinect Adventures game is 2 player only.

So basically for a two player situation, a new xbox with Kinect costs less than a Wii.

€299.00 Xbox 4GB/Kinect bundle.
    €199.00 for Wii and €110 for aditional controller set and charge kit.

Terrible argument to complain about the price.
    I won't bother comparing the Move cause that'd be even worse!

ghostchant wrote: »
    Right now I'd probably agree with the statement that it's a fancy EyeToy. In that it's gimmicky with no stand-out games warranting the hardware purchase. That of course can change, but personally I think it makes sense to wait it out and see what games appear. Not like the Kinect won't be for sale in 6 or 12 months time (and possibly cheaper)

Child Of Eden all the way.

As I said I was gonna get the Kinect anyway, but as soon as I saw that.....

....I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Terrible argument to complain about the price.
    I won't bother comparing the Move cause that'd be even worse!

The price argument is quite valid, comparing cost to a wii or ps move is irrelevant as many of us don't own a wii or a ps3 or have any desire to. Also I rarely play games in local multiplayer, its 99% online.

€150 is not exactly small change to risk on an early purchase for something which may or may not be worth it. The best deals I think will go to new users who get this and the console in a bundle. seem's to be 299 US on xbox.com but I'm sure there will be better deals at christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

As said by alot of people there is potential there for it but its untested and a lot of people where burned when the wii came out sure its fun to play but when you have a console full of just party games it gets boring

Hopefully the kinnect won't do this and they do get some innovative 3rd party games.

But it really wouldnt surprise me if this went the way of the HD-DVD add on. that a few will buy it and be left with 150 euro webcam.

It could be that MS do market this right and give it the support it needs think i read somewhere it's been in development since 2003,

But none of us will know till it comes out and if the price is justified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Child Of Eden all the way.

It does indeed look good, but again I'd need more than one or two games to spend €150 plus the cost of the games. That being said, if Kinect does well and as a consequence more games like that get released, I could be convinced. Let's not forget that the Wii has plenty of worthwhile games that unfortunately get buried by shovelware, hoping the same fate isn't awaiting games like this.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    The price argument is quite valid, comparing cost to a wii or ps move is irrelevant as many of us don't own a wii or a ps3 or have any desire to. Also I rarely play games in local multiplayer, its 99% online.

€150 is not exactly small change to risk on an early purchase for something which may or may not be worth it. The best deals I think will go to new users who get this and the console in a bundle. seem's to be 299 US on xbox.com but I'm sure there will be better deals at christmas.

I'm not saying that it's a pointless argument for those who don't want to spend the cash, or risk early adoption.

I said the argument of "it almost costs as much as the Wii" is a pointless argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Regarding the Wii comparison, in the US at least Kinect is being bundled with the new 4GB Arcade model for $300. A Wii with one set of controllers can be had for $200. Now in that case, I think the decision for which to go for is easy.

Of course if you already own a Wii, which many people already do, the decision is a harder one but I guess sales between now and Christmas will show how things are shaping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I don't know why Microsoft didn't just wait to release the slim as the same time as this:confused:

chances are they may have got a lot of early slim adopters buying it as part of a pack for an extra 100 but I think at a 150 on it's own a lot of people are just going to leave it. Consumers will wait to see if there are any good games but developers will wait to see if people are buying it before making games for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm not saying that it's a pointless argument for those who don't want to spend the cash, or risk early adoption.

I said the argument of "it almost costs as much as the Wii" is a pointless argument.

Ah your right of course there, I miss read your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gotta say if kinect is gonna be 150 euro i wont be buying it!!

im gonna take that 150 euro and buy a second xbox360 for my bedroom just to annoy my missus lol!

seriously though if they wanted people to buy kinect and then continue buying software the unit should be no more expensive than 65 euro or so!

im normally crap at not buying stuff like i buy everything for 360 but i refuse to buy this until price drops!

remember beatles rockband the limited edition??? 200 or more when it was released well i got it in hmv for 58 euro now isnt that nice profit margins for stores if someone payed for it on release day for example???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone else just get an invite to the Kinect beta or am I just special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone else just get an invite to the Kinect beta or am I just special?
    no your just SPECIAL LOL how are they gonna work a beta with kinect though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

I think this isn't such a bad deal. Remember in days gone by when we all had to fork out €400-€500+ for a new console every 4 years? This generation is lasting much longer and I think this isn't a bad way of extending the longevity of a consoles life.

If you've been following Kinect at all, you'll know how this is thought out.

Xbox had planned on releasing the next gen console in a years time.
    They hired a load of staff and developers to work on it.
    Instead they decided that there was no need to bring out a more powerfull console as game developers weren't looking for more power.

So Kinect was developed to allow developers to move in the directions they wanted.
    The idea behind Kinect is one of future intergration.
    They keep talking about how they don't want to pigeon hole it themselves, as they're waiting for the game developers to go and run with it.

At the moment most of the games that are on it are Wii clones, mainly because that's all that the developers are used to, but already the work is being put in to go beyond what the wii can.

MS have started the varied interface intergration.
    You can chat with any online computer with a webcam, and the Xbox is also trying to take over the home theater with it's NUI.

Imagine in a few years time when Kinect is the hub for your whole house.
    Your music, your phone, your tv, your Kinect hooked up to your doorbell camera.

As they say, their plan for Kinect is to have it as your home hub.
    And they admit that they're only starting on this.

As for games, look at the first dancing game to come out compared to the dancing games on the Wii.

Imagine what they'll be doing in 2 years, or 3.

Kinect is €150 but it's like adding a whole new dimension to your Xbox.

(Incase ye haven't guessed, I'm excited!:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Imagine what they'll be doing in 2 years, or 3.

Kinect is €150 but it's like adding a whole new dimension to your Xbox.

(Incase ye haven't guessed, I'm excited!:p)

Yeah I'm more than happy to wait that 2 or 3 years until Kinect is reasonably priced. At the moment, it's just not doing it for me. Despite being a big Harmonix fan and mildly tempted by Dance Central! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

The thing about hardware, MS harware especially, is that it rarely drops in price. Remember the hard drives, wireless adapters and joypads.

Joystiq now have the 250gb Kinect bundle image, that'll be the one I'm gettin.

It's things like MS announcing ASL sign language support for Kinect.

That's immense.
    A tool that can be used to help with special learning programmes, while at the same time, allowing people with hearing difficulties to interact with a gaming console on the same level as regularly abled users.

Also the way that Kinect will be able to pinpoint your voice, ignoring ambient sound and track you as you move accross the room.
    it's just something that's never been done before.

NoterietyH think of it this way, I'm a big Harmonix fan myself, but not a big dance game fan.
    I am however a gigantic Micheal Jackson fan.
    With the announcement of the Micheal Jackson game, where you dance and sing along to MJ's classics, can you imagine the contrast between Kinect, Move, and the Wii.

With both Move and Wii it's gonna be hand movements, and wearing some kind of headset microphone.

With Kinect it's gonna be able to track your entire body, and pick up your voice without any peripherals.

You'll be free to sing and moonwalk, around the living room to your hearts content.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

You'll be free to sing and moonwalk, around the living room to your hearts content.:D

I don't want to though, and in any case, I've yet to see a game that lets you do just that. So I'm going to wait until there's a few good games out there for it. Child of Eden does look great, but you can play that without Kinect and it's also coming out on PS3 anyway. So at the moment it's just Dance Central that seems to use the hardware in any decent way and as a Harmonix fan I'm going to spend the money on Rock Band 3 rather than Kinect. Might sound contradictory but I've hardly stopped playing Rock Band since the first game was released whereas at the moment, looking at the Kinect games, I doubt I'd be playing any a week after release.

I don't care how good it could be in the future or what types of games might come out in the future. I'm not going to spend that much money on faith alone. A year from now Kinect could be like the vast majority of peripherals and be virtually unsupported. Fable III could have been enough to make me spring for Kinect, but that's not supporting Kinect at launch either so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got accepted into the beta tonight, new dashboard and everything, anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

how'd you get into the beta? just got a random email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just got accepted into the beta tonight, new dashboard and everything, anyone else?

I'm in it too.

Can't wait to get the hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just to let ya's know, apparently MS can ban your account for talking about the beta. Tis in the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Just to let ya's know, apparently MS can ban your account for talking about the beta. Tis in the small print.

Good point!

My lips are sealed from now on so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yep, keep shtum.

Advertisement