Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the scientific method

Options
  • 20-07-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Im interested in hearing what people believe the scientific method is. From reading threads one does get the impression there is a 'scientific method' that research should follow - but apparently not:

"
    Scientific method

• There is no single, strict scientific method used by all scientists, a misconception popularized by elementary science textbooks. The rigid hypothesis→experiment→conclusion model of science is an important part of many fields, particularly basic sciences like physics and chemistry, but is not the only way to perform genuine science. Many sciences do not fit well into this mold, such as the observational sciences of astronomy or paleontology, or the abstract science of mathematics; and much important scientific work has come from curiosity and unguided exploration, for example, the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, or the development of the atomic force microscope.[120][121
    "

Just curious what peoples thoughts are as this seems to be in contrast to what The Skeptics Forum normally means when it refers to the scientific method.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

when it comes to science,the scientific method;their is not really a problem until beliefs and philosophical statements use science to deny the existence of something, i dont believe science should be used to deny the existence of anything....
    Its more a problem with intelligent design.

Modern science investigations {not all but some} use science in this way which is a shame and annoying, not to mention lack important details to an investigation.{i did say... Some!}

I dont think i answered much if anything but nice OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Something like;
    See strange behaviour.
    Attempt to replicate such behaviour.
    Reduce the process to it's simplist form. E.G Instead of using a 200mGauss magnetic field, anything above 150 will do.
    Produce a theory to fit the resulting data.
    Get peer reviewed.
    ??????
    PROFIT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The Wikipedia article you linked to sums it up well at the very start

Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.

The reason there is no one single strict formal scientific method is because humans are all individuals and nothing can force them all to think a like. For example, most scientists would view Popper's ideas on falsifiability as a key component of the scientific research. But of course there is nothing stopping someone from not following them and still saying "I'm doing science"

Science, like most things regarding humans, is a matter of agreement and consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

a very important part of the scientific method in any version I've ever seen, is the process of trying to verify that what you think is happening actually is. This is why claims of the paranormal are more often than not dismissed by skeptics who hold to scientific thinking, because the claims are quite arbitrary, they could be happening but equally it could be any number of other things and with no way of telling the difference such claims are rather pointless.

• Advertisement

i agree with that too, but then again thats why many of us try pretty hard to find out other causes for apparent paranormal occurances. theres many real, environmental causes that can simulate a lot of so called paranormal occurances.

Im trying to collect papers on such stuff at the minute, to build a database of papers that go some lengths to explain just *how* emf/infrasound etc etc can cause people to hear and see things etc etc. You cant blame people for thinking they are having a paranormal experience as it probably seems quite real to them, but Im quite confident a lot of those experiences can be explained by various kinds of radiation and how it affects us. In saying that, it wouldnt explain everything paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

maccored wrote: »
    i agree with that too, but then again thats why many of us try pretty hard to find out other causes for apparent paranormal occurances. theres many real, environmental causes that can simulate a lot of so called paranormal occurances.

Im trying to collect papers on such stuff at the minute, to build a database of papers that go some lengths to explain just *how* emf/infrasound etc etc can cause people to hear and see things etc etc. You cant blame people for thinking they are having a paranormal experience as it probably seems quite real to them, but Im quite confident a lot of those experiences can be explained by various kinds of radiation and how it affects us. In saying that, it wouldnt explain everything paranormal.
    how is your collection giong as of now!? im keepin a close eye

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

I always thought it was a sexual position where you both wore lab coats.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

interesting

*writes it down to avoid forgetting*

jonbravo wrote: »
    how is your collection giong as of now!? im keepin a close eye

its a fecken hard job. I'd hope the many sceptics around would have loads of links to such things not alas, it seems not. if you *really* want to keep a close eye, help out at http://journalparanormalresearch.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Wicknight wrote: »
    a very important part of the scientific method in any version I've ever seen, is the process of trying to verify that what you think is happening actually is. This is why claims of the paranormal are more often than not dismissed by skeptics who hold to scientific thinking, because the claims are quite arbitrary, they could be happening but equally it could be any number of other things and with no way of telling the difference such claims are rather pointless.
    Hince why the paranormal is one of the most fascinating discussions.

If you look at poltergeist activity for example, a lot of it is reported when teenagers are about. Its reported to only bang and hit the ground or what ever but you rarely, if ever see the flight of the object.

I find it facinating.

Advertisement