Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedplay xero or X5?

• 20-07-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Folks both are the same price what would you recommend?Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

the zeros

you can set the float yourself

and when i say set the float, its just one simple turn of a screw, so not rocket science

ive got them and love them, my brother now uses them and races on them to

a great pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Thanks chrisbonnie I just ordered the zeros. My knees are starting to get angry with the Shimano spd-sl's!Hope they arrive before the weekends spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

olmo wrote: »
    Thanks chrisbonnie I just ordered the zeros. My knees are starting to get angry with the Shimano spd-sl's!Hope they arrive before the weekends spin.

yeah, they're sweet Olmo

at first it'll feel like you're skating on ice, but within a spin or 2 you'll be grand, and once you feel how easy it is to engage, and disengage, you'll wonder how you ever got on without them

bit of advice, cycleways sell coffee shop covers, they're a little rubber cover that goes over the cleat for when you're walking around,

they're only about €15, but well worth it

0048356.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Just got a set 3 weeks ago and am only now seeing the benefit of them. Taking a while to break them in (Hard to clip in as they are stiff at the start) but they are a great bit of kit. Highly recommended.
    Should say they are the Zero Stainless in Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The walking on ice bit usually only happens when walking on tiles and usually only with new cleats. You quickly learn to walk on the back bit of your shoes.

If you mean while on the bike then adjust the cleats. I doubt there are many people still leaving 15degrees float in either direction.

The zeros are great pedals though. I had the luck of dealing with their customer support too which were actually very quick to respond and very helpful. A cleat failed in case you are wondering. Mounting plate sheered in half from the shoe. Speedplay sent replacement plates. I'm still using Speedplays too on both bikes so I have faith that it was a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Didn't get the coffee shop covers but I'll pop into town and get a pair.Can the zero cleats be used on other speedplay pedals ie X5 or light action?Might look on ebay for pedals only for the 2nd bike.Thats if i like the ones I just bought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

olmo wrote: »
    Folks both are the same price what would you recommend?Thanks in advance

Hi There,
    I would recommend the zero pedals. The float is adjustable from 0 to 15 degrees.
    Personaly I prefer their Track special pedal (same as the stainless steel version, but stiffer release tension)

The best pedal I have ever used, is the Time Pro Mag. Very heavy by modern standards. I am always on the lookout for these, and their cleats:D

I have a set of slightly used X5 pedals, I found them ok for riding at a steady pace. But I wouldn't rely on them keeping me clipped in under aggresive and fast riding.
    It is stated on the box, X5 pedals are not suited for competitition use Their X2 has a longer realese angle, but are much more expensive than the X2.

Let me know how you get on.

Happy Cycling:)

Advertisement