Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valium/dogs

Options
  • 20-07-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Please, does anyone have actual experiece with using diazepam in dogs for eg thunder terror?

I have a supply of 2 mg tablets. It does work well with the thunder terror thankfully; there are dramatic thunderheads and collie started displaying acute fear less than an hour ago; one 2mg seems to have stopped that.

Or reduced it dramatically!

We have a house move coming up with a long drive and I need to keep her calm for that while; the less stress the safer for all concerned. I am driving alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please, does anyone have actual experiece with using diazepam in dogs for eg thunder terror?

I have a supply of 2 mg tablets. It does work well with the thunder terror thankfully; there are dramatic thunderheads and collie started displaying acute fear less than an hour ago; one 2mg seems to have stopped that.

Or reduced it dramatically!

We have a house move coming up with a long drive and I need to keep her calm for that while; the less stress the safer for all concerned. I am driving alone.
    do not give people drugs to dogs unless you vet tells you to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We go over to Wales quite a bit and take Brodi wit us, we give her something called 'Calm Aid', it's a herbal remedy and can be picked up at most vets. Should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I know that many of the herbal & other "over-the-counter" remedies can be very effective for animals displaying mild anxiety but I would understand from this & other posts that your girl is far beyond that. As I mentioned on another related post, our vet (in UK) prescribed Valium for a cat. We also used it very successfully for same cat on the journey when we moved from England to Ireland.

Dosage is the key as you would not want to be giving too much. I wonder if there is any way of getting advice from a professional source (From previous posts not sure if your current vet would/could advise)?

There seems to be plenty of info online if you Google diazepam for dogs but would wonder how reliable it is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LisaO wrote: »
    I know that many of the herbal & other "over-the-counter" remedies can be very effective for animals displaying mild anxiety but I would understand from this & other posts that your girl is far beyond that. As I mentioned on another related post, our vet (in UK) prescribed Valium for a cat. We also used it very successfully for same cat on the journey when we moved from England to Ireland.

Dosage is the key as you would not want to be giving too much. I wonder if there is any way of getting advice from a professional source (From previous posts not sure if your current vet would/could advise)?

There seems to be plenty of info online if you Google diazepam for dogs but would wonder how reliable it is :confused:

Bless you for remembering our girl; yes indeed the damage from the abuse she suffered is just too great.

As for vets around here; the only thing they will give is ACP and I trust not them thus. And that was after four vets had been spoken with.

We have lived in remote places for decades and learn to deal with much that most would seek vets for eg sutures etc.

It was interesting last evening. There were thunderheads and collie started getting very agitated. So I gave her 2 mg of the valium and she quietened quickly enough. It did not flatten her or knock her out and when she and wee dog asked for a walk we went out and she was fine. No impairment at all. And later when she started barking, which sometimes precedes utter panic. a "NO" was enough to stop her.

The valium seemed to take the edge off enough to let her get control again. Which is the whole purpose of course.

We have realised that she was never ever trained as a puppy; simply locked in a shed 16/24., let out , fed and left to wander.

She is nine now.

So now she is having to learn all this; the other evening I told her off for barking too much and left her in her porch-bed.

An hour later I went and she was lying there with utter anguish in her eyes. When I spoke to her, she crawled over on her belly... I realised that she had only just made the connection between her barking and being told off.. When I consoled her, she sang and danced again. Happy dog!

I checked some of the sites; but the US vets advocate ACP.
    The dosages vary wildly too.

It seems the valium IS going to be the answer for her; we will try 2 mg before the journey.

I don't know why we are so hesitant re giving dogs meds; some of the collie forums have dogs like her that are on daily meds. She does not need that; just the times like thunder and stressful situations when she needs that help to stay in control with dignity.

Interesting re the cat too; am wondering re ours who will be in a box on the front seat while the dogs are in the back; he tends to shout all the way in the car... It gets very stressful! I think he does it in his sleep....

Advertisement