Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Bandwidth Problem

• 20-07-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm with Digiweb broadband, but something strange is happening. For the past week or so there have been some tremendous uploading on my account, one day in excess of 6 gigs. I don't upload much, the odd YouTube video, and I don't know where this is coming from at all. I've check my computer for programmes which could be causing this, and anything else around the house as well. I've changed my password to my network but the problem persists.

Is there any known reasons for why this might be happening, or anything I can do to help it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bonavox wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm with Digiweb broadband, but something strange is happening. For the past week or so there have been some tremendous uploading on my account, one day in excess of 6 gigs. I don't upload much, the odd YouTube video, and I don't know where this is coming from at all. I've check my computer for programmes which could be causing this, and anything else around the house as well. I've changed my password to my network but the problem persists.

Is there any known reasons for why this might be happening, or anything I can do to help it?

Thanks

Wireless router using WEP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Spear wrote: »
    Wireless router using WEP?

Yep. :) Changed the password three times this week and nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yep. :) Changed the password three times this week and nothing.

Not that changing the password will have any impact with WEP. Change to WPA (WPA2 would be better).

Not that changing the password will have any impact with WEP. Change to WPA (WPA2 would be better).

Thanks, changed and everything, hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thanks Spear! :D

Nope, still not stopped. :(

Another 500 megs uploaded over the past hour and definitely not uploaded by me. I'm nearing my monthly cap and it's really annoying when my speeds get throttled.

Any help on this is appreciated.

• Advertisement

Nope, still not stopped. :(

Another 500 megs uploaded over the past hour and definitely not uploaded by me. I'm nearing my monthly cap and it's really annoying when my speeds get throttled.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Check the router status page, find the list of DHCP clients or the ARP table. See how many entries there are.

Alternately your PC is the source of the trafffic. Time to run checks for malware/trojans. Run HijackThis, Spybot S&D for a start.

Could you have left a Torrent client or similar running in the background?

Check the router status page, find the list of DHCP clients or the ARP table. See how many entries there are.

Alternately your PC is the source of the trafffic. Time to run checks for malware/trojans. Run HijackThis, Spybot S&D for a start.

Could you have left a Torrent client or similar running in the background?

Okay, my DHCP Client List currently lists:

Robert-PC
    iMac

Both of these belong to me, but there's an unknown device with no name. I use other devices on the network, such as my PS3, could these devices be the unknown client? Also, I've made sure things like torrent programmes and such are all closed. I'm literally at my wit's end now!

Thanks for all your help Spear, it's really appreciated. :)

Okay, my DHCP Client List currently lists:

Robert-PC
    iMac

Both of these belong to me, but there's an unknown device with no name. I use other devices on the network, such as my PS3, could these devices be the unknown client? Also, I've made sure things like torrent programmes and such are all closed. I'm literally at my wit's end now!

Thanks for all your help Spear, it's really appreciated. :)

Any device will show the MAC address, so a PS3 would easily account for that, but not a name since it won't support SMB/NetBIOS.

Have you tried the malware checks?

It might be worth raising it with Digiweb to if they can identify the protocols/ports or destination of the traffic.

Any device will show the MAC address, so a PS3 would easily account for that, but not a name since it won't support SMB/NetBIOS.

Have you tried the malware checks?

It might be worth raising it with Digiweb to if they can identify the protocols/ports or destination of the traffic.

Done checks for everything like malware and stuff, everything came up clean. Will give Digiweb a call tomorrow, this is a joke. Is there anythig else I can do that you can think of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

You can use MAC address filtering to allow only your devices to connect if you're still unsure whether it is one of your devices or not. Some software firewalls will keep a log of all incoming/outgoing information with the name of the program listed as well so you could try one of those if it is one of your machines.

• Advertisement

Will give Digiweb a call tomorrow, this is a joke.

Did you manage to get any info out of Digiweb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if you can rule out bandwidth theft you need to check exactly what is being uploaded - do you run any peer to peer file sharing programs or torrents what would be uploading to others?

Did you manage to get any info out of Digiweb?

Rang them, explained my situation, and they got engineers working on it. Still waiting (since noon yesterday) and they refused to lift the cap until they've sorted it. Feel really annoyed that I'm suffering because of an error on their part.

corkcomp wrote: »
    if you can rule out bandwidth theft you need to check exactly what is being uploaded - do you run any peer to peer file sharing programs or torrents what would be uploading to others?

Nope, had no P2P programmes running. I unplugged my modem and router last night as an experiment, and when I woke up another 750 megs had been uploaded.

Advertisement