Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe flooding report

Options
  • 20-07-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Shock and horror, the long awaited report into the severe flooding in Ireland last year tells us.....what we already know i.e. "The report prepared by the Oireachtas Committee on Environment, Heritage and Local Government says it was not convinced that the State was prepared and able to cope with the severe weather."

Local Authorities and communities across the country were stretched to the limits to save life and property. They were credited for their work. OPW and ESB along with other state agencies were criticised in the report.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0720/weather_floods.html

ps...sorry for typo in thread title. should be 'severe'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

The worse part is you could substitute "severe weather" with "banking crisis" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm sure we all know of instances where state agencies could have been mobilised quickly and effectively. i.e our defence forces. Yes they were mobilised in some areas but not as widespread as they could have been.

There would have been no loss of face for the government, in fact the opposite would have been the case. Decisive action in a time of hardship for many citizens.

Looking forward to seeing the report and reading its conclusions.

What the government will take from it is anybodies guess but I reckon any action will be slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I have the report Tactical if you wish. send me your email by PM if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Dr. Kieran Hickey was speaking about this report on Morning Ireland earlier on. A guy who's views I rarely agree with (I find him a bit alarmist at times) but he made some interesting points nontheless.

Interview should be available on RTE site soon.

Dr. Kieran Hickey was speaking about this report on Morning Ireland earlier on. A guy who's views I rarely agree with (I find him a bit alarmist at times) but he made some interesting points nontheless.

Interview should be available on RTE site soon.

http://www.rte.ie/news/news1pm/playe...89778,real,209

he still referred to irish weather as benign in comparison to other eurozone countries. More or less, he said our rainfall events will become more intense thus resulting in more flooding

• Advertisement

front page of galway independent today
    121011.jpg

Advertisement