Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent PC

Options
  • 20-07-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey!

I have a noisy back-up pc runing various audio applications and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or has built a "quiet box" to solve this problem.
    Basicially I need this pc to be virtually silent. I don't really want to get into taking the pc apart eg... changing fans etc..

So if anybody can help?
    or could point me in the right direction to someone who can.

Ta,
    R.I.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Unfortunately that's what it takes...

The noise is caused by fans, hard-drives, any other vibration sources, the airflow of your case and the materials it's made of (solid metal vs plastic) etc.

To silence your pc, you'll need to remove as many sources of vibration as possible while maintaining good airflow.

That means replacing your case for something with better airflow/materials (build quality: heavier materials are less likely to vibrate. loose fittings will grind against each other causing noise. A case with a solid front door will have worse airflow than one with front fans, but will make less noise than the door-less equivalent.)

Removing as many fans as possible and replacing essential ones with low-noise fans, running at as low RPM as possible while keeping the system cool. (I recommend Sharkoon fans). Larger size fans can shift more air at lower speeds, and thus are quieter than small fans.

Suspend your hard drives with string in 5.25" bays instead of screwing them into 3.5" bays. This minimizes transfer of vibrations to the case. Or even run the essential software / OS off an SSD and move all the other hard drives to networked storage in a different part of the house.

There are other things you can do, but they would require a bit of DIY outside the usual system-builders experience, so I won't mention them here. This should give you a base to start from at least.

Advertisement