Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pics from unnamed vernal pool, Yosemite

• 20-07-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Just back from the Yosemite high country. It would take too long to describe where I took these, but they're from a seasonal pond I've driven by up there my whole life that I finally decided to stop at.

GordonLR.jpg?1279643138

P10105961.jpg

P10105931.jpg

P10105981.jpg

P10106011.jpg

This last one, for the hell of it, was taken Saturday, just off the bridge over the Tuolumne River, center trail, Tuolumne Meadows, going west by about 200 meters.

P10105701.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you looking for C&C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

you looking for C&C?

Oh, duh. Yes, I am. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at the risk of sounding hideously cliched, i think some of them work work well in greyscale, or else a bit or warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

They all look overcooked to me. The colours look unnatural and they are over sharpened. Looks like HDR may have been used and it doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Mjollnir wrote: »
    Oh, duh. Yes, I am. Thanks.

Do nothing for me im afraid. Overcooked and nothing of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

PostHack wrote: »
    They all look overcooked to me. The colours look unnatural and they are over sharpened. Looks like HDR may have been used and it doesn't work for me.

How odd. I didn't do anything to the colors, except a bit more blue in the first one, used a little bit of contrast adjustment, and there is no HDR whatsoever used (I don't even have the software for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

Hi Mjollnir,

My initial comment is that the images are too big to view, I've 32" monitor and I'm still scrolling up and down to see each in it's entirety. This does make it hard to view them properly and critique them as a result. That being said:

I'd agree with magicbastarder, they all seem to have a heavy blue tint to them and are quite cool as a result. If you have the option to change the colour temperature on your camera I'd have a look at that and make sure it's set correctly.

#4 would have the most potential for me from an artistic side, although there seems to be something funny going on with it and its sharpness, I'm not sure if the image is blurred or its suffering from compression...I'm guessing a little of both

The rest unfortunately don't work for me, I can certainly see what you were going for but I'm just not sure it's been pulled off. For example, #5 is quite an interesting composition but the reflection of the trees is too strong against the reeds, as well as taking away from them it is leaving the image very top heavy and unbalanced. This is in addition to the comments on the sharpness issue in all the images, they do look a little unnatural

#6 is quite nice, the tree and rock are nicely balanced in their position. I'd probably crop the foreground though to remove the brambles that are appearing and let the river run to the bottom right of the frame, alongside the island that appears to the right, it's a little dark and its omission won't hurt the composition too much.

Hope this helps

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

3, 4 & 6 I like. but agree they look slightly over saturated and sharpened. I like the composition and with a slight tone-down I think they'd look great.

It's not just the blues, i think the greens look 'over-cooked' too.

I've 32" monitor and I'm still scrolling up and down to see each in it's entirety.
    what res are you running at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I'm wondering the same? I'm looking at them right now on a 10in netbook screen and the landscape orientated shots are only a margin bigger than I can view.

• Advertisement

what res are you running at?

1,360 * 768

Can you see each of the pictures in their entirety on your monitor?

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm running @ 1280 x 1024 on a 19" monitor and can see the pics in their entirety.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'm running @ 1280 x 1024 on a 19" monitor and can see the pics in their entirety.

Maybe it's just the wide screen that's playing up for me then, I've only certain options to choose from and that's not one of them.

In any event, it was a minor point on the feedback for the images.

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Guys you can zoom out with most browsers these days ctrl and the minus button

first one
    just not doing anything for me I can see what you are trying to do and I have seen images like it that work but this does not for some reason maybe it is the angle of the shot also the detail of the rotting wood is not clear enough to provide the contrast i think you are looking fo

second one

interesting shaped rock nice reflections

third one:

if you zoom out the shot kin of works

fourth one.

my favourite. esp the perfect reflections of the rocks.
    fifth one.

another one of those shots that should work but does not seem to be
    again I think it is the laqck of detail in the grass

sixth one.

I like it interesting shaped rock and trees on the left probably needed less grass in the foreground and more sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

I remember the last one from when I was in Yosemite three years ago, lovely place

Advertisement