Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isolating instruments

Options
  • 20-07-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Is there any software out there that can isolate the various instruments on a track. So for instance if one wanted to sample the drum beat from a song but nothing else from that track is it possible to isolate the drums as a sample?

Also when it come to using tracks for samples what is the best file type to use and software to mash a few samples together.

cheers

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

there is no software mto reverse engineer a track.

what software is best is subjective.there are loads and pretty much all wil;l let you do what you describe

best type of file to use is a wav file

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

thanks seanash for the reply

regarding the software what would be a good piece of software to start of with. Something basic to get the basics down?

thanx again

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

well to be honest there all gonna be difficult if you have no experience.

if your a mac go for logic if your a pc try ableton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think there is some software out there that maybe able to isolate a vocal or a particular instrument in some cases but afaik it would next to impossible to isolate a whole drum track simply because it involves so many frequencies across a such a wide spectrum. I may be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Never Isolate Instruments.

They'll only find a way of joining forces & overpower you. I learned that the hard way.

:rolleyes: ;)

Not that I've ever used it - But does Melodyne have a feature where it can do something like that?

Seem to remember watching a Vid here - ages back with some German Dude @ a Tech Conf. Showing off some bit of software. Was that Melodyne?

Sorry I cant remember.

He had isolated a trumpet & said that the drums you could hear on it had leaked from the Players Headphones. Bad workman, eh? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

As far as I know, you won't be able to isolate the different parts of the track unless you have stems for each section of the song e.g (bass, guitar, vocals etc).

I once got a free plugin that claimed to be able to mute the vocals of a track so you could sing along to it karaoke style but this did not work for all songs. Certain sounds had to be compromised to try to mute the vocals.

Advertisement