Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Cork with no Landline

• 20-07-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using o2's dongle with a Dovado UMR now for 2 years. And it works, but recently everyone and their mother is on it, and despite being 200 metres away from a mast, I still can't watch a youtube video without it pausing to load.

I don't have a landline, and don't want a landline, but I do want decent broadband. What are my options in Cork?

I know there's UPC, but what others can you guys recommend, and who should I stay away from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bumpety bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb Metro, UPC or get a phone line. At the minute if you sound really reluctant eircom may give free install and free line rental for 6 months or 9 months..

Depending exactly where you are there may be no Metro wireless. There maybe other Fixed Wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

check out airwave internet, cousin of mine has it and its pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I've been using o2's dongle with a Dovado UMR now for 2 years. And it works, but recently everyone and their mother is on it, and despite being 200 metres away from a mast, I still can't watch a youtube video without it pausing to load.

I don't have a landline, and don't want a landline, but I do want decent broadband. What are my options in Cork?

I know there's UPC, but what others can you guys recommend, and who should I stay away from?
    I've a spare meteor pay as good go dongle, if you want to borrow it and see if it's better. My cuz was using in the CUH for video chats etc on skype and it was pretty reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Owen,

You could try Nova Networks, who seem to have coverage in your area. They stick a little box on your roof to pick up a wireless signal. I've been with them for some time now and, following some serious teething problems, they've been fine for the last few years. Low contention (12:1) - my 3 Mb connection is actually 3 Mb (although I do notice some slow loading with Youtube sometimes). Having said that, I'm in the process of switching to Vodafone since our exchange got enabled. Note that Nova offered me their €46/month package (7 Mb broadband + VOIP home phone) for €36 to stay.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. I'm contracted to o2 for another 10 months which is a pain in the arse. Gotta love those 18 month contracts. So if I get a new provider I'll still have o2, least I can configure my dovado router to default to the new provider and fall back on the dongle if it fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

check out airwave internet, cousin of mine has it and its pretty good

big +1 to airwave.. pm me if you need more info.. if you know your gps co-ordinates they can give you pretty definitive answer via email also.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got o2 to release me from my broadband contract this morning, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with UPC? I was going to go with Nova Networks, but I don't want the hassle of having to haggle with them over the monthly amount, or having to pay for installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

what area you based? pm if you like.. there is no install free with airwave! If you have GPS co-ordinates of your house most co's can give a fair idea whether or not they provide coverage in that area.

no personal experience with UPC

Airwave charge a fortune though. 40 Euro for 3 Meg, and 60 Euro for 3 Meg with a better contention ration and a fast upload speed (Which I wouldn't use anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭pah

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got o2 to release me from my broadband contract this morning, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with UPC? I was going to go with Nova Networks, but I don't want the hassle of having to haggle with them over the monthly amount, or having to pay for installation.

mi-fi from 3 is a good bet too, have it in Ballincollig with good speeds, Youtube needs a minute to buffer but no problems

You should know how good 3 are with your iPhone Owen ;)

No, I'm never returning to midband again. Poxy pretend broadband. If I need broadband on the move, I can tether my iPhone with the 5 gig allowance it has.

Advertisement