Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are all the jobs?? (NO CHAT - Read post #481 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Aurora bar on Dorset street looking for waiting staff. Min two years experience. Sign in the window

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

you won't just wander into a job as an interpreter because you've a bit of another language . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

MACE on Clanbrassil Street (still) looking for staff, I think, the sign in the window was there before, it says 'with Deli experience'

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm finding that a lot of places are telling me 'insufficient experience', yet they're looking for someone with 2 years experience and I've over 7. In reality, I think most places want to hire the best staff for basically nothing. Sure I've told places that I'll work for a very basic wage (€30k less than what I was on) but they don't seem interested. Very frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bbeck11

Any advice on coming to work in Dublin city when I have to get a work Visa? I graduate next year in the states but plan to move back here to Dublin and I don't think working at Dunne's or a bike shop would get a visa. I see what you mean about having seven years experience...have you tried Microsoft or JP Morgan? AOL is also a good option for Dublin...they are looking for unique applications and apparently don't care if you are a man woman, old or young they just want creativity.

• Advertisement

'Beaumont House' on Beaumont Road/corner Shantalla Road, D9, are looking for an 'experienced waiter' and 'experienced kitchen porter'. Sign in the window says 'Apply within'

The Killkenny shop on Nassau St. wants staff with min 2 years fashion retail experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw this advert on Jobs.ie by www.rawmarketing.ie and although it's not P.C., someone might get a job out of it. Happy to pass it on. Sorry I don't know how to shorten the link:

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1174579&utm_source=jobalerts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Job%2BAlerts

"Young Mum's wanted
    We are looking for chatty young mums looking for some part time work.

Ideally we are looking for:
    • An outgoing, chatty, approachable candidate.
    • Must have use of a vehicle
    • Must be easy going and flexible to change
    • Must be 100% committed to the full 8 weeks.
    The promotion will be an in store demonstration for a very well known Irish brand.
    It will run on Friday and Saturdays fro 5-6weeks starting June 8th.

You must be available to attend the training on the 6th or 7th of June."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

That Hireland has jobs all over Dublin on it.. its like a back to work scheme trying to get businesses to create one job. Its good I know a few lads who got work through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Closing date for the jobs was 3 months ago unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

maggege wrote: »

They want someone with a degree to sell books?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sign up at Forever 21 Jervis Street. Looking for (assistant?) managers and retail associates. There was a contact email address on the sign. Can't remember the address, sorry!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Goro wrote: »
    They want someone with a degree to sell books?

It says third level education preferred, not required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Twee. wrote: »

It's still a bit of an ask for a shop assistant who's most likely going to be on min wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Twee. wrote: »

That's just the excuse they will use to delete applications they don't want. I suppose they feel a need to have an excuse due to the huge numbers of applications these days. It is ridiculous to even mention third-level. I have got to know quite a few bookshop assistants over the years as I often visit those shops, none of the ones I know ever went beyond second-level and a lot didn't even get anywhere near second-level. They are great at their jobs and they know their stuff. You don't need to be a professor to stock, stack or sell books or anything retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Larianne wrote: »
    Sign up at Forever 21 Jervis Street. Looking for (assistant?) managers and retail associates. There was a contact email address on the sign. Can't remember the address, sorry!

recruitmentjervis@forever21.com

I gave this a try the other day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 missdisco

i'm a postgrad, and i wouldn't mind working in a bookshop if it wasn't for the fact that most people have NO taste, and would be buying fifty shades of grey, so your knowledge wouldn't be challenged, only your ability to tolerate stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

missdisco wrote: »
    i'm a postgrad, and i wouldn't mind working in a bookshop if it wasn't for the fact that most people have NO taste, and would be buying fifty shades of grey, so your knowledge wouldn't be challenged, only your ability to tolerate stupidity.

Wrong thread really this if for posting about available jobs, but hey way to intorudce youslef and make yourself sound like a bit of snobby ahole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

missdisco wrote: »

Well if that's how you see potential customers, it's no wonder no one will higher you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 missdisco

Well i was being facetious, but nevermind. My friend was manager in a large bookshop though until it went under, and that's what he found.

Also, there's an entire book on it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weird-Things-Customers-Say-Bookshops/dp/1780334834

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Dominos in Drumcondra have a sign in the window looking for full and part time staff. Think of all the Dominos cookies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"Grub" on Georges St (Next to the George) are looking for all kinds of staff, not sure when it's opening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

O'Brien's sandwich bar on Lower Baggot Street have a sign in the window looking for full-time deli staff, and a part-time kitchen porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Cafe Moda in Rathmines have a sign in the window looking for a barista.

Whelans (Could have been the Village or Solas actually) are looking for staff.

Whelans (Could have been the Village or Solas actually) are looking for staff.

The one on Wexford Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

La Pizza on o Connell st looking for staff, as are some deli at the bottom of the street. Saw loads of staff wanted signs walking around the jervis area recently, can't remember them for the life of me though!

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The one on Wexford Street?

Yup.

• Advertisement

Yup.

It's Whelan's then. Saw the sign myself.

Advertisement