Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 30mm 1.4 vrs Canon 35mm 2

• 20-07-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience with either of these two lens? It would be used on a (cropped frame) Canon 40d. I already have the canon 50mm ƒ1.8 & 85mm ƒ1.8 but am after a wider big aperture prime for walkabout on holidays in a few months.

The canon is £240.52, the sigma is £285.28. Both + shipping from onestop-digital.com.

Im probably going to sell a sigma 18-50mm ƒ2.8 to fund it (if anybody interested ;))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a good copy of the Sigma and found it fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Borderfox wrote: »

Had?
    ...upgrade to FF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

He is/did :p

Yeah moved up, pity as it was superb. Build quality is excellent and has HSM (silent focus too)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/1918527883_7ceb540877.jpg
    1918527883_7ceb540877.jpg

Rest of the set here, most of them shot with the 30mm f1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Borderfox wrote: »

Good copy? Sorry to hijack thread, just curious as to what that means - can you get good ones and bad ones?

Anyway, sounds like a good length. I've got pentax, and have a 50mm for my (also cropped) DSLR and would like something closer to "traditional" 50mm length - I presume 30-35mm is it! Are there any other options to the sigma? Tamron etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Good copy bad copy = variances in quality of the lenses, think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Wow - and is it more prevalent with lens manufacturing than with say cars, or hammers, or other widgets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Im probably going to sell a sigma 18-50mm ƒ2.8 to fund it (if anybody interested ;))

On the look out for this lens if the price is right. Let me know what you are doing.

Was looking for a 35mm canon as well but not much price difference in second hand and brand new so gonna hold off quite a while as dont really need it.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Wow - and is it more prevalent with lens manufacturing than with say cars, or hammers, or other widgets?

I have never got a bad copy of a Sigma lens but have heard other peoples experiences (could be user error too)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Athenryman

The canon is £240.52, the sigma is £285.28. Both + shipping from onestop-digital.com.

they ship from HONG Kong

• Advertisement

Athenryman wrote: »
    they ship from HONG Kong

oh dear. So expensive VAT bill arrives as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Athenryman

yes you could be landed with import duty.
    Also the goods arnt under UK protection.

I bought 2 5d's - one from hong kong and one from uk.
    they are same spec but one feels flimsier. shutter sounds lighter etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Re: Onestop Digital -

Never dealt with them but I read that they pull a fiddle and reimburse you if it doesn't work... I won't say anymore because it's a bit taboo... but Google them and you'll find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

oh dear. So expensive VAT bill arrives as well?

yep. Although ive seen the second hand for in or around that.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Re: Onestop Digital -

Never dealt with them but I read that they pull a fiddle and reimburse you if it doesn't work... I won't say anymore because it's a bit taboo... but Google them and you'll find out
    Had a look....
    8. What is "VAT Free" guarantee?
    We offer "VAT Free" guarantee on all of our products for FREE, meaning we guarantee that you will not have to pay any import charges (namely import duty, courier handling fees, VAT and GST), i.e., DUTY FREE. If you are asked to pay import charges when you receive your package, please pay for these charges as requested and send the original VAT receipt to us. We will then reimburse such charges upon receiving the receipt. We would like to remind our customers to make a photocopy of the receipt before posting the original copy.

This VAT Free guarantee is only available for orders shipped to the United Kingdom at the moment.
    http://www.onestop-digital.com/faqs.php?osCsid=c22b1ae40695774a7b8fc815d5779783

Advertisement