Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good tweaking guides

Options
  • 20-07-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of a solid tweaking guide I could use to get my ATI 5970 to run decently? I have an i7 @ 3.8GHz with a good 12GB of RAM so it has plenty of breathing room. I see no reason I should be getting tearing in games like Bioshock and Fallout 3 that ran perfectly on my old laptop. There's something I'm not doing right and tinkering blindly isn't helping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

tearing? enable tripple buffering( in Catalyst Control Centre ) or vsynch( in game ) and it will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Vertical tearing aswell as the usual tearing across the screen, almost like tiles being out of place. I have vsynch on, so I can't figure this one out. Could it be the dual GPU nature of the card? The two GPUs not sharing the load properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

well i dont see how it should ever tear with vsynch on because the image will be completely rendered by the 2 cards and then shown in its entirety, so its impossible for any vsynched image to tear.

what you could be experiencing is microstuttering though but thats where the fps fluctuate when the loads not balanced among the cards and it starts showing the existing frame again while it waits for one of the cards to finish rendering.

Maybe try updating to the latest catalyst drivers, see if 10.6 fixes it, if not change to 10.5 drivers as 10.6 are pretty crap drivers.

*EDIT* also disable Catalyst AI( AI tab in Catalyst Control Centre ) and see if that gets rid of it, it basically puts your card in single card mode so you'll nearly halve performance but at least you can check if thats the problem

Advertisement