Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cashing boi cheque- no account

Options
  • 20-07-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a boi cheque for 1300 issued from naas. i do not have a boi account, is it possible to go to naas boi with id and cash it? thanks for replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

No I don't think so, as far as I'm aware you need to lodge it into your bank account but that can be in any bank not necessarily BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Yes this is possible. My gf often does it. As long as the cheque is issued from that specific branch, you can cash it. Bring passport/driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

.. you will be able to cash in branch cheque is drawn on - as long as cheque isn't crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

pjmn wrote: »
    .. you will be able to cash in branch cheque is drawn on - as long as cheque isn't crossed.

The cheque has two lines goin through the amount alright. . does this mean crossed/account only?
    man cheques r backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

tommy21 wrote: »
    Yes this is possible. My gf often does it. As long as the cheque is issued from that specific branch, you can cash it. Bring passport/driving licence.

I stand corrected, thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

foundry wrote: »
    The cheque has two lines goin through the amount alright. . does this mean crossed/account only?
    man cheques r backwards.

.. sounds like it I'm afraid....

... agree with your 'backwards' statement - think we will see the phasing out of cheques over the coming years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

.. sounds like it I'm afraid....

... agree with your 'backwards' statement - think we will see the phasing out of cheques over the coming years...

Hmm interesting - does this mean the OP has to open a BOI account, or that he/she can lodge it via their own bank account but has to wait the obligatory five days?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Just an update i ended up lodging cheque into a friends boi account (with them beside me ) withdrew money straight away so it all worked out thankfully.

Abolish the cheque!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Your mate must not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. just because you got the cash straight away does not mean the cheque cleared so dont spend it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

foundry wrote: »
    man cheques r backwards.

Every cheque has cross lines printed on them - was it crossed with & CO or AC PAYEE ONLY?? If not, you can cash them no problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

dlambirl wrote: »
    Every cheque has cross lines printed on them - was it crossed with & CO or AC PAYEE ONLY?? If not, you can cash them no problem

My cheque book doesn't have lines printed on them!

If lines are on it, I think it means the cheque must be lodged to an account first rather than just cashed over the counter.

You can also cross it "account payee only" to instruct the bank it can only be lodged to the payee's bank account.

Advertisement