Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are the new trains that were promised?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

i seem to recall reading two years ago or so that all the older trains on the sligo - dub route would be replaced with brand spanking new ones with storage for bikes, a shop, etc. i take the train to dub about once, sometimes twice, a week and more often than not i get stuck on the horrible green ones. i thought all the older trains were to be replaced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

As far as I know they use one of those old trains once a day (1pm service). It's awful, a right bone shaker.
    Last time we were on it the ticket master said the best thing for it was a match. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

i'd say that there at least 4 trains servicing the route but a large number of the trains, at various different times, seem to be the old ones rocking from side to side there and back

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i seem to recall reading two years ago or so that all the older trains on the sligo - dub route would be replaced with brand spanking new ones with storage for bikes, a shop, etc. i take the train to dub about once, sometimes twice, a week and more often than not i get stuck on the horrible green ones. i thought all the older trains were to be replaced

well there is no shop on the new ones, unless you are referring to the overpriced refreshment cart

;)

the new intercity trains run on most schuldes, although they do still run the commuter coaches on one or two of them most days

the new ones do have bike storage, think there is room for two on each 3 car set. which is also over priced.

the no shop thing is a pain, sometimes you can be on the train for over an hour before you see the trolley. also, when i have taken the new train from dublin in the afternoon times they always seem to be packed as some of them run with only 3 carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fid10

There has been a huge improvement in the quality of trains on the Sligo / Dublin route in recent years.

But the provision for bicycles is a big disappointment. I brought mine to Dublin recently and that was an adventure! It cost €8 (the same price as a dog!) Getting it on board wasn't easy - there is space for just two bikes. Bikes are carried upright, and I did well to get mine into the space allowed (that is after I found the correct carriage).

Removing it in Connolly station was another adventure too. It would be impossible with baggage attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I remember turning up at Sligo station with my bike and being told I couldn't bring it on the train, when I asked why, 'because I said so.' Charming :rolleyes: Made a complaint but nothing ever came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Truley wrote: »
    I remember turning up at Sligo station with my bike and being told I couldn't bring it on the train, when I asked why, 'because I said so.' Charming :rolleyes: Made a complaint but nothing ever came of it.

Customer service eh?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Truley wrote: »

maybe more a rant at CIE service generally

turned up at connolly with my bike, was only able to buy a return ticket for my self and a one way for the bike at sligo when leaving a week or two earlier, so had to queue at the ticket desks again in connolly when heading back home.

train was advertised as a intercity service with intercity train (the new ones) running the route, so bikes are allowed, after reaching the front, the cashier advised i/he had to get permission from the inspecter to buy/sell a bike ticket, it was up to me to find him.

:confused:
    :mad:

eventually got bike to train after tracking down the person who had filled bike sapce full of luggage, no guard monitoring this or to assist.

:mad::mad::mad:

had carried bike on serveral intercity and commuter trains in the UK in those couple of weeks away, no charge for either. can reserve space for your bike on line or over phone up to 3 months in advance on the IC services. for the commuter services, just turn up, if no space for bike, just wait 10 to 20 minutes for the next train. somes times up to 6 spaces per train for bikes. Guards to assist and check bike reservations if bikes allready taking up bike spaces. CIE has a long way to go.

Fid10 wrote: »
    There has been a huge improvement in the quality of trains on the Sligo / Dublin route in recent years.

i agree that there have been improvements with regard to the tracks and the new trains but i feel that the current commuter trains on the route are unsuitable. even the old orange and black ones are more comfortable than the green commuter trains and they are warmer. the ticket prices seemed to have gone up and up in recent years but the trips is no more comfortable or enjoyable on those commuter trains than it was 5 years ago. i'm getting the train in a couple of hours, whats the bets it will be a commuter train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

irish-stew wrote: »
    after reaching the front, the cashier advised i/he had to get permission from the inspecter to buy/sell a bike ticket, it was up to me to find him.

Same happened me though I got permission from the man at the desk and then the ticket inspector told me I couldn't. Cue about three trips over and back between the two; one saying I can't, other saying don't heed him I say you can. Keeping in mind this is Sligo station where the ticket inspector and seller are within site of each other, it was such a farce. Though in fairness the man at the desk was good about it. Finally I went back to front desk man and asked for a complaint form, back to inspector, asked for his name so I could make a complaint. He refused to give it to me. Had no choice but to take the bus to Dublin because I needed my bike :(:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Fid10 wrote: »
    It cost €8 (the same price as a dog!)

Can you take a dog on the train? :confused: Is it actually allowed sit beside you or do they have kennels or something? Hmmmm could be another adventure for the pair of us! :D

Advertisement