Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my external Hd goosed?

• 20-07-2010 9:10pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically I hooked up to my laptop,left for a while,came back forgot it was hooked up,picked up the laptop and the hardrive took a fair wallop off the ground

Now it won't recognise on the laptop,took it apart and connected into a desktop pc.It recognises a sata hardrive plugged in but just says it 0.00mb
    I guessing its goosed..........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Longshot but Try running chkdsk scandisk on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

k123456 wrote: »
    Longshot but Try running chkdsk scandisk on it

No it only recognises it in the bios so can't do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Your problem happened to a mate of mine recently - dead external drive after a fall, removed it from casing and tried connecting it directly - no joy - ended up going to data retrieval place in Dublin - and cost something like €400 to retrieve the data :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

400 euro :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Your problem happened to a mate of mine recently - dead external drive after a fall, removed it from casing and tried connecting it directly - no joy - ended up going to data retrieval place in Dublin - and cost something like €400 to retrieve the data :eek:

haha, robbed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    400 euro :eek:

Yep, priced amongst a rake of "data retrieval" places.
    Noxin wrote: »
    haha, robbed :D

Don't doubt it - but bear in mind the drive inside the box was taken out and attached to a couple of pc's and wasn't spinning up or showing up in the bios. Dead. Completely. So it was taken to a place where they dismantle the drive itself - and get the data somehow - way over my head anyway!

The guy had no choice as it contained family photos stored over about 5 years - and he never backed them up!

(Noxin - how would you have gone about getting the data back out of interest if it wasn't spinning or anything? thanks)

Advertisement