Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you train yourself to get by on less sleep?!

Options
  • 20-07-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies

As the title says- is it possible to get used to getting by on less sleep? I have found that over the past year or two (basically since I left uni and got a proper job that I had to be on good form for) I've become almost obsessed with getting enough sleep!

I get 7/8 hours usually but when it comes to evening then I just crash in front of the TV and have to force myself to stay awake until a reasonable time to go to bed. I often don't do any of the chores that I intended to cos I just feel shattered, which means they all just build up.

It's making me feel old before my time- sure, I'll go out midweek once in a while but the hangover (even if I don't drink much) and late night makes me feel like such absolute death the next day it's often too tempting to say no to invites, which I hate doing.

I didn't realise I'd become this sleep-obsessed until we got talking about it at work and I realised that my friends there rarely go to bed before the early hours of morning, whereas I'm rarely up past 11. I feel like I'm missing out on hours of my life! And thinking about it- when I was in uni and working at the same time I'd often go into work on 3 hours sleep and then go out again that night, whereas I'd now find that so physically debilitating it wouldn't even be an option.

I think there's a psychological aspect to it in that I've almost become phobic about being tired because of how unpleasant it makes my day in work and the long commute- if I'm out after work with the next day off then I can keep going all night, but if I come home then I'm passed out on the couch for the evening feeling like I've been run over!

How do I get out of this mindset and start living for the moment a bit more? I'm going to be working for the next 40-odd years and I'm damned if I'm going to feel like this the whole time! I was dragging myself around in work the other day feeling sorry for myself after a late one and just though "Oh, for God's sake! You're TIRED. That's all! You had a fantastic time last night- do you think you're really going to be on your deathbed saying..."Ooh, I should really have got a few more early nights"??

Help me get my life back!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't see anything wrong with being asleep by 11! I'm usually asleep by that time and I'm 26!

If you want to up your energy levels then start getting active, join a gym or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You can certainly learn to survive on less sleep but you also have to make sure the sleep you are getting is quality zeds.

Make sure you eat well, drink plenty water and exercise every day - first thing to help wake you up if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Semele wrote: »
    I get 7/8 hours usually but when it comes to evening then I just crash in front of the TV and have to force myself to stay awake until a reasonable time to go to bed. I often don't do any of the chores that I intended to cos I just feel shattered, which means they all just build up.

Yeah, you need more exercise. Start walking/running in the evenings just for half an hour. Maybe even just when you come home so you don't get the problem of settling on the couch for the evening.

By the way I'm usually in bed 10-11 so... nothing wrong there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, unfortunately it's true that exercise helps, which is of course the last thing you want when you're knackered!

If it helps, I'm 23 and I like to be asleep by 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately it's true that exercise helps, which is of course the last thing you want when you're knackered!

If it helps, I'm 23 and I like to be asleep by 11.

Exactly, I'm the same age and have the same bedtime! Whenever I get regular exercise I sleep like a log, it's lovely :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I exercise every day and the only thing it's done is help me sleep. I've had problems sleeping for years but can easily get by on 4 hours or so. I'm usually in bed before 11 on weeknights to try and get some extra sleep - with training I have to get quality snoozes otherwise I'd struggle to maintain my level. I know a lot of people in their 20's in work, who, like me, would rarely go out on 'school nights'. Our work is fairly physical though so we need our snoozes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from tLL, probably more suited to here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ChallengerDeep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Semele, how's your diet? Your diet plays a big part in energy. If you are eating high carb meals all day and sugary foods then you'll crash in the evening and feel tired and not be able to budge.

Also, I find that when I get home from work, if I steer clear of the couch and get stuff done straight away I have more energy then I did when I first got in the door. Sitting down usually makes me more tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I'm 24 and I try to make sure I get 8 hours a night.

I mean, I guess it is possible to train yourself to get by on less. I remember at some business seminar I attended the guy said the secret is to sleep less (he said 6 hours).

However, not getting enough sleep is bad for your health and can lead to depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

+1 on the exercise...it can be difficult to drag yourself to the gym after a 12 hour shift but after the first few days or so you can really feel the difference, not only higher energy levels and better quality sleep but it also makes you feel better about yourself and gives you a bit of a confidence boost....it takes effort though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thomascullen

you could try Polyphasic sleeping, but if you are going to try it , make sure you start off at a mild plan, it can really mess up your sleeping though so be careful.

Advertisement