Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lagoa physics engine demo, looks amazing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

looks stunning, its going to be forever before games have effects like that( and actually make use of them )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Very impressive indeed, shame its created by a sub division of Ubisoft :p

EDIT: Actually it appears to be a side venture by on of their technical leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

lmimmfn wrote: »
    looks stunning, its going to be forever before games have effects like that( and actually make use of them )

Not really, next gen. This is what the next gen consoles should be aiming for, what the pc's of today are nearly capable of. Time goes v quickly in this scene, we're nearly stagnant lately because of consoles, Crysis is 3 yrs old in November

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not really, next gen. This is what the next gen consoles should be aiming for, what the pc's of today are nearly capable of. Time goes v quickly in this scene, we're nearly stagnant lately because of consoles, Crysis is 3 yrs old in November

Any idea how what kind of processing power it needs, still even with the dial scaled back a couple of notches it would still look very impressive I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nah man, you can see the editor cant support realtime + rendering and the vid states what each scene was rendered with. The CPU/GPU requirements for that to be real time are astronomical( you can see from the vid that its prerendered ). I would expect current top spec pc hardware( dual i7 cpus with mobo supporting dual i7's like Asus Supercomputer mobo + dual/tri 5890 if the engine supports gpu physics ) to render those scenes at about 5-10FPS avg, maybe max 20FPS in real time

You can compare that water to Nvidias physx water, its far far more impressive and looks a 100 times more detailed than in Nvidias physx example( which runs well on the latest gfx hardware, but not with that amount of particles )

Anyway, dont mean to be a killjoy, i cant wait for it, dont expect it for ages though, same with ray traced gfx, that will be equally as amazing( and will probably come sooner ), mirrors and proper reflective and refractive surfaces in games will be amazing, especially with lighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

^ +1 on that.

Excellent effects, no doubt. A lot better than Pissyx. Not going to see it for a very long time though. Hardware manufacturers aren't investing enough in a unified engine for this. nVidia are, but in fairness, thats just a marketing ploy to get rid of all the leftover G92 cores. : /

Advertisement