Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

longterm camper in europe question

• 20-07-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi

Am planning on traveling through europe for over a year in a camper. Have been looking at campers in buy in the UK or europe.

Now if I am not importing one into Ireland I don't have to pay vrt but where do I stand in terms of tax and insurance on them. Can I just pick one of the countries I will spend a good bit of time in and pay the road tax there or pay in for whatever country the camper is presently registered in. Sorry if this is a stupid question just never though of this before at all.

In terms of insurance does the regularly quoted 330 euro insurance cover longer term travel, or do I need another type of policy for that?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

can I ask why you want to get one abroad?

Ireland is probably the cheapest place in europe to buy a camper now

try done deal

plenty of overpriced crap, but bear in mind most of those campers will not sell this year, and some need the cash. I'd expect 10-20% off advertised price

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

Have been looking on done deal and have viewed quite a few. Am still looking but have spotted this one in the north that looks promising and just wanted to look if it was a runner paperwork wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Market Road in Islington, London is a good place to look if you intend on traveling. Aussies and Kiwis heading home sell their vans to people arriving who are about to do the trip around Europe. You might get lucky there, friend of mine did.

That said with my small amount of experience it seems to be easier to get a camper on the road here than in the UK regarding MOT and the like. I could be wrong though.

I'd also consider the availability of spares if you are traveling out foreign for any length of time.

Advertisement