Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma2 - Operation Arrowhead Demo is out

Options
  • 20-07-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.arma2.com/latest-news/arma-2-operation-arrowheads-demo-released_en.html
    This 3GB demo thrusts you straight into the unique gameplay featured in the full version of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead; it showcases the realistic sandbox environment, offers multiplayer gameplay, and gives you a peek at the vast array of vehicles, weapons, units at your disposal. The demo offers a massive amount of highly detailed content, giving you a sharp flavour of the epic new environment (modelled on real-world data), a full taste of the mission editor, and a real appetite to experience the most authentic mil-sim available: war without the training wheels.

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead's demo includes:

* Singleplayer mission "Coltan Blues" from the main campaign
    * Singleplayer scenarios "Benchmark" and "Little Bird"
    * 3 Boot Camp scenarios (Basic, Driving and Helicopter tutorials)
    * Multiplayer missions "Hike In The Hills" and "One Shot One Kill"
    * multiplayer template "Team Deathmatch"
    * Mission Editor with save/load option

Hope the mods don't mind me cross-posting this here, some of You may not be aware of the tactical shooter forum. This demo gives You the chance to try it out and see if You like it and that it plays ok with Your pc. We've got our own Boards.ie dedi server in Dublin (for the full game, not the demo) and would gladly welcome any newcomers. We play for fun and don't take it too seriously like some other squads/clans. Here's some screenshots:

arma22010-07-1814-50-31-55.jpg
    arma22010-07-0620-15-49-33.jpg
    arma2OA2010-06-3022-03-56-66.jpg
    arma2OA2010-07-0200-08-32-07.jpg
    arma2OA2010-07-0200-02-57-43.jpg
    arma22010-07-1718-36-13-05.jpg
    arma22010-07-1814-50-48-20.jpg

More pics

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking of buying this,so its good they released a demo :).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

With the save/load feature in the editor, you could play seriously tonnes of user made missions.

Btw in case anyone is wondering who is the best Arma 2 player in ireland is, well its me and i have a prize* to prove it.

*prize may not actually be delivered but i won it. MUHAHAHAHAH jigsaw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Was thinking of buying this,so its good they released a demo :).

If anyone is buying, buy both Arma2 and Arrowhead together (Combined Ops) as this is what all servers online are running. Arma2 stuff can be used in OA, but not the other way round. You can buy it at a very reasonable price straight from the developer
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-honza.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

*Avoid buying on Steam as its a game everyone uses mods with, Steam only plays nice with mods for valve games, not this. Plus BIS release tons of beta patches (Arma2 actually got 40+ patches if You count the beta's), running the beta patch with Steam takes hacking (Steam thinks the beat .exe is a crack)

Some of You may have played the Arma2 demo, this was a poor initial buggy version of A2, the game has been greatly optimised now and plays so much better. A2 now uses 70-80% of my quad and makes use of much more ram since the last patch. The new map in OA has much less grass and therefore runs great.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If anyone is buying, buy both Arma2 and Arrowhead together (Combined Ops) as this is what all servers online are running. Arma2 stuff can be used in OA, but not the other way round. You can buy it at a very reasonable price straight from the developer
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-honza.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

*Avoid buying on Steam as its a game everyone uses mods with, Steam only plays nice with mods for valve games, not this. Plus BIS release tons of beta patches (Arma2 actually got 40+ patches if You count the beta's), running the beta patch with Steam takes hacking (Steam thinks the beat .exe is a crack)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8242

seriously use this, it actually works runs all versions of the game including steam and mods from arma 2.

Btw for anyone wondering what arma is its a 90% complete game ie the developers have made an engine that runs a military simulation on it in a very game based way. Included is possibly every weapon available to any army from handguns to A10s to KA50s you can use everything!

The other 10% is mods and user missions, i have never played the default MP missions that come with the game and i doubt anyone else has. Coop style missions are my favourite ie clear a town/objective/kill someone/defend/retreat but with no respawn.

The other kind of MP missions are Domination and Evolution they give you access to every vehicle the US/Russia/otherguys have to literally wreak havoc on the towns you must take. But the other guys(AI clever bastards) also have this **** but if US have A10 they have an SU34(americans lose in this fight) so not as easy as it sounds and with up to 40 people trying to take a town it gets fun.

There is also team vs team which is like what people would call normal Mulitplayer but in Arma its different way way way different, fairly sure in MW2 when you call in an airstrike its not your mate in an A10 singing the Top Gun song and waiting for you to point your laser designator at something to get the kill. Or me in an Apache 64 singing the airwolf team basically pointing all my death guns in the general area you specified and firing.

The map never changes you just control parts of it or die and dont. There are up to 20 maps available all 25km squared and free along with possibly every faction in the worlds guns vehicles skins all free.

If your PC can play it (bear in mind 40 beta patches , 5 official tho) there is no other game ever made that offers this kind of fun and serious gaming in one package and literally thousands of mods (missions are downloaded from the server so you need the mods running on it to play). At the moment our server is mod free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im just gonna buy this tomorrow.
    You guys still running a server?

• Advertisement

http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/125832
    http://www.hlsw.org/gameserver/217.78.4.73:2302/ARMA2

Server ip: 217.78.4.73 or do a filter search for boards.ie (just .ie will work)

Mumble ip: 217.78.4.73 and default port, password is "boardsie"

Krieg wrote: »
    Im just gonna buy this tomorrow.
    You guys still running a server?

yup

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Atm you need both Arma 2 and Arrowhead to play on it as pog pointed out its fairly cheap from the above link ^^

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Can't recommend this enough lads. It's basically the only game I play now. Amazing value for money and with an excellent mission editor there are literally countless different missions to play. There are about 6 of us that play this on the boards server every night so there will always be someone on to give a helping hand. It might seem daunting at first but if ye stick at it it delivers the best online multiplayer experience. Ye'd find it very hard to go back to the more generic online fps after playing a few nights of this. And it is also the best looking game on any platform.

Forget about the single player campaign, nobody bothers with that. I've not cleared the A2 SP campaign and i didn't play past the 2nd mission in the OA campaign. The SP senarios in the demo are quite good, especially Hike for the Hills and Littlebird, gives You a great feel for what the game tries to do.
    Custom Coop and SP missions is where this game shines. When I couldn't be arsed with a mission I just drop a platoon of armour and infantry on the map, spawn in an Apache and wreck havok.

Here's some clips from the other eve (in HD on Youtube)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im tempted, ill dload the demo first.
    I love realism but hated the first ARMA based on the crappy demo at the time.
    I loved the realism of likes of Red orchestra so arma2 might float my boat.

So its mostly co-op doing missions against ai and you guys mostly play custom missions?are these "custom missions" just user created missions or default missions changed to your liking?
    Also the team V team duking it out,does this have respawns?
    Im hoping they are not too long, cant stand games with long respawns, even CS when i played it was annoying as fcuk.

• Advertisement

The developers just give the game and the editor, the community make the missions. Most big coops and pvp or tvt have respawn, its the small 5-10 man custom coops that usually dont have respawn, they aim for realism, You respawn as a crow overlooking the action when You die, some have revive, others not, its completely set by the mission maker. The beauty of this game is that any available mission can be easily modded in minutes and uploaded and played they way we like it, we often add ammoboxes or better vehicles/toys as we play.

And just so anyone doesn't get annoyed with the demo just remember, its a simulator true and true;
    You cannot run and gun most missions need to be tackled tactically as a team, a single headshot will kill instantly, a shot in the arm will affect Your aim so badly You'll not be able to target, a shot in the leg will have you on the ground crawling, there is no regenerating health when You're injurde You must call a medic, weapons and bullets have real ballistics and bullet drop so centering Your crosshairs could be miles off depending on distance, You often have to learn how to use the scope (even google it) and use a rangefinder.

Here's the second vid I uploaded last night

4814328137_b27d284bf8_b.jpg

4814951354_117864a1e0_b.jpg

1st one is actually from Arma 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was that a nuke that went off there? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

nope, an ICBM afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

People say arma is lots of fun, but if you play in one of the no respawn games, die earlier and have to wait, (what 15-30 mins?) to continue how is that fun?:confused:

grizzly wrote: »
    People say arma is lots of fun, but if you play in one of the no respawn games, die earlier and have to wait, (what 15-30 mins?) to continue how is that fun?:confused:

Dont die tbh and/or never go somewhere 1st let the guy with the biggest gun go 1st.

We have an unwritten rule if whoever is admin of the server dies we restart :D or more than half the team.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103542

Developers looking for User made missions for the demo, fair few will appear there (i make one later with respawn grizzly ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wow! It looks great. I suppose there is zero chance that my 3700+ AMD 7600 GT could handle it.

Just got it and installed. any point in me installing arma 2 as well?

Wow! It looks great. I suppose there is zero chance that my 3700+ AMD 7600 GT could handle it.

I'd say it'd struggle, but thats what the demo is for, You can always try
    Just got it and installed. any point in me installing arma 2 as well?

Not with the demo, its standalone

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Not with the demo, its standalone
    nah I went and bought the full game.

I enjoyed arma 2 especially online, except I only liked the mode where players take on enemy AI. I really dont like the idea of having to wait 30mins to respawn, I simply wouldnt have the patience.

nah I went and bought the full game.

I enjoyed arma 2 especially online, except I only liked the mode where players take on enemy AI. I really dont like the idea of having to wait 30mins to respawn, I simply wouldnt have the patience.

There's none of that, 10 mins at the most, we usually restart when half the crew are down.

Definitely install Arma2 as well, into the same directory. All servers online are running Combined Ops. Be sure and defrag and try out some of the SP Scenarios to make sure its running ok and get online with us. I might be on after 9, sot some work shít to do first but the others will definitely be on.

I be on later possibly sober too :(

Get the latest beta patch for OA, lots of cpu & ram improvements that Arma2 got in 1.07 are in the latest beta patches. It also fixes a crash at ammobox issue. Best install it, it will leave a "launch OA beta patch" shortcut in Your Arma2 directory, just copy it to desktop.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Multiplayer earlier tonight. Full HD on youtube

Multiplayer earlier tonight. Full HD on youtube

i like tanks.

Ye tanks are great, so is ramming trucks off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

One of my personal best games of all time. I ****ing love this game. Will be buying arrowhead soon, still really enjoying arma2 atm.

This is what pc gaming is all about.
    grizzly wrote: »

To get the most enjoyment out of this game, you have to approach it like this:

Its massively open ended , meaning you can do what you want with the game , play it the way you want, etc etc.

The is one of those games I'd actually rather play coop then PVP.

I generally spend most of my time editing and making mission myself, for me and my mates to play together. Some of these missions I'll add a community made revive script to. So if one of us gets 'killed' we can 'revive' that person.

If we all get killed then its mission over (no one to revive us)

Other times I'll just have it that you spawn into an AI player in your squad, once the whole squad is dead mission over.

Very rarley will I use base re spawns.

If I'm not playing it this way, then I'll join a server online and play domination mode generally. Which is an large scale on going mission where your team unlocks new gear apon clearing towns and doing side missions. You die you spawn back at the main base.

Theres mobile respawns and the ability to para drop to locations also.

These dominations mission go on for hours so its a join in progress kinda thing.

I tend to prefer single missions played with friends either ones I made or ones I downloaded as it can be pretty intense. Domination is more laid back but good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

nope, an ICBM afaik

ICBM's are nukes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

i stand corrected

Advertisement