Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beefjerky's Better Body Beef Cake Bonanza - post #33 restart

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Injury update - Central protrusion of disc and significant degeneration of disc L5

had a good few sessions with the therapist and now am able to walk without a limp or cramping up, however no lifting anything for another couple of months.

OK, back to it, s l o w l y.

got a bit depressed when the back went because I stopped all activities and so was very tired and lazy so I will need to get my measurements again, needless to say I've gained weight, dropped cardio and general fitness levels a lot.

I have done nothing since 19th August.

Starting this week
    Crunches. Lots and lots to build the core strength.
    Range of movement, 3/4 times a day to stop muscles cramping up again (9-5 desk job)
    Walking, 3 days this week will do 5km each time. And 5 days a week from Monday.

See how that goes, then next week or the week after, throw in some light jogging with the walking e.g.,
    1.5km walk
    500m jog

All the time - Loads of stretching, my flexibility was getting better but is now worse than before! Hamstrings seem to be the worst.

And back to posting each time to keep the motivation going.
    I just have to keep telling myself not to rush back into it as I know I could easily injure my back if I put too much stress on it.

Slow and steady wins the race and all that.

Delighted to be able to even go out walking again :D

After a long lay off (19th August) I am getting back with the boards better body challenge, which I was only able to start yesterday due to an auld bit of flu for the last week and a bit
    (which got me down 4lbs to 14st even without doing any excersize already! although I'm sure that will jump back on as I get back to eating normally again, so I won't use it as my starting weight)

As I said before, because of the auld back recovering, I am starting slowly with no running or weights at all.

6FT (probably won't get this to change )
    14st 4lbs (I will put up the measurements later on in Tuesdays post)

Monday 17th
    2km walk before work
    3.5km walk at lunch
    2km work after work

hundredpushups.com/week1 (the middle set)

Crunches
    5 x 20

I'm likely to stick with this for the first week, but I will lengthen the walks each day.

The healthy eating is back on track, i forgot how much I enjoyed it!

I am looking forward to my 5 or 6 small meals for the day now instead of toast for breakfast, just picking up a chicken fillet baguette from spar at lunch and then a pizza or some sh1te for dinner
    I am also going to start a fitday account to keep track and use g'ems calorie requirements post as a guide (great post!)

Despite my previous post saying no running, I'm going for the couch to 5 km. :rolleyes:

I was doing 5km before the injury in an OK time so am not new to running, but I'm going to follow the tried and tested program, as it eases in so gently which is essential for me, along with the walking sessions for cardio.

Measurements:pac:
    Neck 16.5”
    Chest 44”
    Bicep 13.5”
    Wrist 7”
    Waist 44”
    Hips 40”
    Top of Legs 28”
    Knee 18”
    Calf 15”
    Body Weight 200lbs
    Body Fat 30.5 using this online calculator (no calipers)

Tuesday 18th
    2km walk before work
    2.7km walk at lunch
    Week 1 day 1 couch to 5k
    3km walk

Advertisement