Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saved a best mate's life today..

• 20-07-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

.but the shock is only hitting me now.
    He attempted suicide this morning, I was lucky to have found him or else he would have bled to death. Stable now thank christ.

I keep getting flashbacks of that moment when I first saw him

I really dont want this to bother me in my dreams tonight as im already dying of a bad flu and its too much, I think it will drive me crazy. Anybody know of any remedy for this to take my mind off it?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 st_andalou

Sorry to hear, that must have been awful.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any short-term remedy. You're probably experiencing shock or post-traumatic stress. Take it easy for the next few days and maybe consider some counselling? It doesn't have to be anything long-term, just to help you get through this.

Either way, don't bottle anything up. I'd recommend talking to a counsellor, but it can be anyone close -- a partner, friend, family member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE NOW!!!!!! Same happened my brother, he found our cousin, pelase talk to someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Call in a close family member or friend and either stay with them or get them to stay with you - you need someone to chat to or just be around an look after you at the mo.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Vent,let it all out and talk to someone.

and remember,you're a hero,someone's alive because of you.That's a real difference you've made to him/her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, thanks for the caring replies.

I have taken your advice and have talked to two trustworthy friends about the incident. It has helped a lot, and my parents and sisters have really looked after me. The shock never actually hit me, cos it was all a constant adrenaline rush this morning, so i'm afraid the shock may hit me randomly?

Its also an odd week for me as my gran passed away last week also, and that really hasnt properly hit me yet. So i just dont know how to feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

Go talk to someone and tell them how shocked you are.
    You saved a human life so you should be proud.
    Whoever saves one life saves the world entire.
    Give yourself a pat on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Pembily wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE NOW!!!!!! Same happened my brother, he found our cousin, pelase talk to someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't argue with passion like that, please listen to everyone above and get help xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

You did a really good thing today, but if you need to talk it will come out one way or another, best to talk to someone you trust about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

1960a wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the caring replies.

I have taken your advice and have talked to two trustworthy friends about the incident. It has helped a lot, and my parents and sisters have really looked after me. The shock never actually hit me, cos it was all a constant adrenaline rush this morning, so i'm afraid the shock may hit me randomly?

Its also an odd week for me as my gran passed away last week also, and that really hasnt properly hit me yet. So i just dont know how to feel.

It will randomly hit you and you will need to have someone there to just sit beside you / hold you, a close friend or family member is best... Just remember you saved him and you ROCK!!!

Just remember to mind yourself too!!! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Hey OP, You did a very brave thing. When something like that happens we go into overdrive, and act on impulse. The initial reaction to something like this is one of shock, support, care and adrenaline.

What you're going through is absolutely normal. You've come back to your routine and realised how shocking this morning was. Remember that you saved your friends life. You could've been dealing with different news tonight. You acted very courageously for your friend. He's in the hospital now (Presumably) and getting the care he needs. Now you must look after yourself. You've been through something traumatic and you need to go through a process to deal with it. I'm not a qualified counsellor but you should speak to someone about it. Someone whose professionally qualified to help you work it out. it's like anything, there are steps you must process before you can deal with it. Be it, shock, upset, anger, depression, etc etc etc. If you are having trouble sleeping tonight why not ring the samaritans 1850 60 9090 (Open all day and night) or jo@samaritans.org where you'll get a response within 24 hours.

Sometimes it helps to write down how you're feeling. Anywhere. Just jot it down and it helps. It's great to know you've got a network around you whose there for you when you need them. Let your family look after you.

On another note, did you know your friend was thinking about committing suicide? Do you know the reasons? It's great that you could help a friend but make sure you're not taking on his problems aswell ya know?

• Advertisement

I knew he had a couple of things on his mind alright, but there is deeper stuff he isnt telling me. I wasnt really expecting it at all really, never thought he would do it. But he did abuse drugs a lot while in college either legal or illegal. He's off them now but im afraid they may have caused his depression to get worse. He was self medicating himself. He said he tried 2 days before to hang himself but the rope snapped, real sign he cant go yet.

Im going to talk to a counceller soon just for a small debriefing, im getting better now since he's recovering well. Less flashbacks thank god

Just want to say a big well done again, echoing other comments. What you did yesterday is giving your friend another chance at life, and it might be something that effects your life forever for the positive. However, situations like this can cause problems for you. Your act, as selfless as it was, could upset you. It probably won't, but if it does a form of counselling called CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is what's best for post-traumatic stress disorder, which you probably won't have. Keep your head up high - you're kind is what keeps me going during my darks day. Thanks for being there, from all of us :)

Hi op, I just want to say that you're a very courageous person and words cannot estimate the huge difference you have made, a few months ago my friends saved my life,will be forever in their debt, the shock is huge at first but time,support and talking about it with family,friends eases the memories:)good to hear that your friend is recovering well:)

Advertisement