Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Childhood Toy

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Inspired by my recent viewing of Toy Story 3 this should be pretty self explanatory, post your favourite childhood toy(s).

So to start things off;
    When I was 2-5 I was fond of this plush dalmatian named Flex. I took him everywhere, he currently resides in my wardrobe.

The later half of my childhood was spent with various nerdy toys such as the Gameboy Colour (and later advance) with which I wasted many hours playing pokémon and levelling charizard to level 100 again and again.

So what about everyone else? Who did you spend your childhood with?
    Also:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have a doll, that I got when I was about 6 months old that I played with for years. Its still on my shelf, I'll never throw it out. It's named meme, after my first words :P

I used to be obsessed with sylvanian families, had loads, but was never allowed get all the houses and stuff, but a girl in my estate had them all, I was so jealous.

Then my first bike "poppet", it was pink and I used to cycle it to playschool. I cried the day I got a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I too had an amazing dalmation. <3 that guy, his name is Lucky and he too is still in my room. Let go of my childhood? Never.

I also had an AWESOME drum, the coolest trainset ever and a fisher price cassette player thing in primary colours.

Those were the good days, or at least they are far enough in the past that I have convinced myself that they were good.

Either way, wooo being 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Had this little pink teddy called Karen (yeah, dunno why) that I got the day I was born, used to bring it everywhere with me till I was about 8. It's still in my room, on my bed, I'm never getting rid of it.

I had fairly shìt toys though, my best friend had way better ones. Well, she wasn't really my best friend at the time, I used her for her Barbies. Apparently she used to wake up in the middle of the night and I'd just be there playing with them. In the pitch dark. O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I had [and it still lives on my shelf] one of those power ranger giant robot things that you can split into the other vehicle bits.It was a christmas/birthday present when I was 5-6 and I f*cking loved that thing, it was my go-to toy for about 4/5[who am I kidding 13 :pac:] years after I got it.

I suppose I should give it to my nephew,but feck him I don't wanna share and I'm bigger than him so I win.

Who said I was mature?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I had a cute teddy I called Pinky! I left it in my granny's house in Mayo one summer, and I was so upset as I live in Louth! I had to do without the teddy for a whole year, but I was counting down the days until we went back to Mayo so I could get it. As soon as I arrived, I scrambled into the living room, and there it still was under a table (my granny couldn't bend over!), albeit slightly dust covered! I was so happy.

It's actually still in the house somewhere. No way am I going through the trauma of losing him again :P (although I haven't seen it in years my mother might have thrown it out)

*runs up to attic*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever these days, but as a child I had a huge collection of dinkies and toy trucks. I'd spend ages just racing them up and down the hall. Also had a yellow teddy type-thing called Fellow who had long arms and legs you could tie in knots and stuff. In hindsight, I have no idea what sort of a creature he was supposed to be.

Other than that, I didn't have that many toys. I was a quiet little nerdy child who preferred reading and stuff. I had the entire collection of Mr. Men books! :cool:

Any toys I do have have been passed down to my nephew, and he'll get the Mr. Men collection when he's old enough to read. (He better take damn good care of them though..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I rarely played with dolls except for this one I got when I was a baby. Her name is Judy and she's one of those soft body ones...I still have her and all her clothes put away in my old room. Sometimes I take her out and dress her up.

I also had a soft toy that I got when I was 4. He was a dog named Hermie. He was the closest thing I had to an imaginary friend. He's still in my cupord but only comes out when I'm upset. :o

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I had an actual Woody doll, just like the one from the films, and I played with him tons- to such an extent, as a joke, my Mum bought me another one for my birthday this year.
    It wasn't movie quality this time though.[/stepbrothers]

I also remember getting a Red Ranger toy from my godmother, coming home with it on the tube, and finding a Silver Ranger in the playground and keeping it for myself. You just can't pass up a Silver Ranger flippy-head toy. The GameBoy Pocket was probably the best toy I ever had, that thing was so good- why did I give it away?!

I also had the car from Ghostbusters, that was cool. The coolest toy I ever saw though belonged to my friend, he had a huge Millenium Falcon toy.

I think I wasn't giving many toys though because I had more fun drawing made-up ones most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It wasn't really a toy I wasn't really into them but I had a "blankie" that I brought everywhere! It was filthy but I just couldn't bare to get it washed!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Nes.

I <3'ED MY NES!!

It wasn't even mine; it belonged to my sister. But I played it way more often and so had squatters rights over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Had a remote control firetruck thing that ran on like 6 huge batteries but would still only last like 5 mins loved it so much...my cousin got jealous one day and tried to break it :mad: things have never been the same since seriously. Its still in my bedroom.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Baby Born. I was actually obsessed to the extent that looking back now, I think it was a little bit creepy! That doll was never out of my arms. My mam then made me give her to my younger cousin who unfortunately didn't shower her with the same affection... and wrote all over her face with permanent marker.

I also had a love for Barbie and my brothers Action Man. Oh, and playing some kind of show-jumping game on PlayStation. Good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

K'nex ftw :D Me and my brother made monstrosities of machinery out of it. That and board games like Monopoly and Risk kept us entertained. I never had Barbies, I went through one Baby Born phase where I looked after it for a week and made my mother swear she'd feed it when I was at school :o

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

My favourite childhood toy was a little brown teddy bear called Jerry, or Jerry From Germany to use his name in full! Here's a pic:

jerry.jpg

My dad used to go away on lots of international business trips when I was very young, so I wouldn't see him that often. He had to go on a particularly long ESB escapade in Berlin when I was 3 years old, so he was missing for some of the weeks coming up to Christmas. I was anxiously looking forward to him coming home and was so happy when he came back with a toy for me! I can exactly remember the moment he presented this my teddy to me in our house's kitchen. Such a joyous moment... ahh, to be young, etc.

I was obsessed with that little bear! He'd go everywhere with me - I'd bring him to school, in the car, and tuck him into bed with me every night. If I did a drawing it would likely be of him, with each detail included down to the brand tag poking out of his right leg. My brother was similarly fond for a toy puppy he owned and we used to play together with them, having conversations and imagining adventures with them. If I remember correctly, Jerry could hop onto Puppy's back and soar through the skies by flapping Puppy's oversized ears.

Watching Toy Story 3 brought all of those memories back for me. I was 7 when the first film came out, and the idea of a film about toys that were real and had lives of their own was so magical for me. Andy's toys were represented just as I saw my own toys, which made their adventures so exciting! I fell in love with the characters (especially the utterly endearing Rex) and they became a part of my childhood too. 15 years later, while sitting in the cinema with 3D goggles of the future on my face, I couldn't believe that it was over! You never really reach a point where somebody politely declares "you are officially and irrevocably an adult now!", it's something that occurs gradually. The end of the Toy Story series perfectly mirrored my own coming of age, and allowed me to reflect on my own childhood experiences.

I'm considering going again and bringing Jerry with me for it, embarrassing as that may be. Luckily, there's still room for childishness when you're no longer a child. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

MASK CRUSADORS!!!
    CORPS! (the cheap G.I joe that had anatomical leg to torso ratio problems)
    DINOSAURS!!!!
    ROCKLORDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I had about 20 Barbies and only one Ken haha looking back, there must have been some exciting stuff going on in my dreamhouse when I folded it up! I loved that house! When you folded it out all the rooms were huge and I had loads of (pound shop) furniture for it. And her pink remote control convertable! And a camper van! And a school set with desks and a blacboard and Shelly and 2 of her friends! :)

And one year Santa got my a Hunchback of Notre Damme huuuuge set with like 3 million tiny pieces. Mam defo regretted that one!!

Dad taught me to read :)

My uncle aaaaaaaalways either got me books or book vouchers which was always epic.

I remember when Tesco was Quinsworth, my local one was called crazy prices. Aaaaanyway, for a few weeks if you spent so much on your shopping you got a hand puppet/teddy think for like 5 quid. Dad got me the lion, tiger, hippo, bunny and elephant!

And he got me 3 animaniacs teddys, 20inch Wakko Yakko and Dot :) they're still in perfect condition!

Loved my gameboy colour. It was purple. I <3 purple.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I had about 20 Barbies and only one Ken

I wish I was that KEN:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I was one of those annoying little kids that would throw tantrums for toys and then not care about them soon after :o Happend with many a toy... I cant act remember one that I loved for ages, and not just until the novelty wore off.
    Well I used love stuffed animals, I had loads of them, and I had my fave one or two but they were still mehhed at I think and I just wanted them to say I had them.. Same with my stables of schleich horses. http://www.schleich-s.com/en/action_figures/collectables/product_range/world_of_nature/farm_life/horses/index.html
    Still have them though, they look purty :)

What an annoying fecker of a kid I must have been though :L

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I had a clown teddy called Lucky since I was born. Threw him into the fire a couple of times, chopped off all his hair and coloured him with markers. But i <3 him.

Oh and you were always cool if you had a baby born that wizzed :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I had two rabbit teddys called Paul and Barry. None of these fancy names. Good manly names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

my favourite was Big Trak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Trak

I can hear the sound now just thinking back when you hit enter after programming it.

I had a clown teddy called Lucky since I was born. Threw him into the fire a couple of times, chopped off all his hair and coloured him with markers. But i <3 him.

Good to know that you had such an appreciation for irony even at that young age! :P

johndoe99 wrote: »
    my favourite was Big Trak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Trak

I can hear the sound now just thinking back when you hit enter after programming it.

DUDE, thats so fu&$ing cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lego was probably the greatest and most played with toy I ever got. Loved it.

I had these amazing Sonic shoes that provided a silly amount of entertainment, I know your thinking, shoes? Really Conor? But I loved them, I was also under the impression that they made me run faster >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Lego was fairly epic, and me tractors and animals. I used to use the guard for the fire as a shed. I was a right builder/farmer as a chung'fileh.:cool::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Fad wrote: »
    I had these amazing Sonic shoes that provided a silly amount of entertainment, I know your thinking, shoes? Really Conor? But I loved them, I was also under the impression that they made me run faster >_>

This is why we are friends.

Anyone remember LA-LA bikes??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

This is one of my favourite threads ever. :)

I had two teddy bears, a brown one and a panda one, who were very imaginatively named Teddy and Panda. I loved them so much and they led to a much wider teddy bear obsession which carried on longer than it should have. But them two were always my favourites. I still have them in a box under my bed and will have them forever. <3

I was also obsessed with Barbies. I had so many of them, too many of them when I think back now. They all had cars and houses and motor home things and swimming pools and classrooms and horses and so on. My sister and I had a massive cardboard box filled with their clothes and shoes. I would spend all day dressing them up and putting different outfits together. Oh and playing weddings with them. Weddings was the best Barbie game ever. I miss being small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

My Pikachu teddy. I loved that little dude...not to the point of bringing it everywhere, but I was pretty fond of it and took it to every Teddy Bear Picnic at school :P I also had a Barney teddy too, who I took to bed with me every night until Barney became uncool...

I had a few Barbies and dollhouses and pink cars in my time too, but pretty soon people began to realise that dolls really weren't my thing :P

So yeah, all in all, I was never really that mad into toys, bar a few. Except for Pikachu and Barney, of course.

Advertisement