Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Childhood Toy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lego!!!!! You could play any game you wanted with that! I still have a HUGE crate of it in the atttic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I remember one of the best games being taking all my brothers power-rangers, pretending to be a doctor and bandaging them up with flour, water and toilet paper. Wasn't being 4 a great time?

Otherwise, I think I have a big bag of Betty Spaghetti dolls somewhere
    spaghetti-zoe-doos210x260.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i loved creating little buildings out of lego

oh and puzzle 3d i loved creating stuff out of it

i had the best teddy ever!! he was a lil green fluffy frog teddy named hopper....he still lives on my bed :D

AND my beloved sindy doll!! she came with me anywhere i went shes still somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I had a big doll house which I loved.:)

I wasn't much of a toy's girl though, I loved playing rounders when I was a kid. All my best childhood memories are from playing rounders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

K'nex ftw :D Me and my brother made monstrosities of machinery out of it. That and board games like Monopoly and Risk kept us entertained. I never had Barbies, I went through one Baby Born phase where I looked after it for a week and made my mother swear she'd feed it when I was at school :o

Ah Jaysus, remember our Game Of Life days? :p

My favourite childhood toys were probably Beanie Babies. I had HUNDREDS of them (no exaggeration >.>). They were so awesome <3

e929f896199285dca747a860c5810db4892437a9.jpg

TalkGirl kept me entertained for years... playing tapes (oh tapes!), recording myself, making up plays and interviews... oh the lulz were had :D

3152859757_c07f821aa9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

K'nex ftw :D Me and my brother made monstrosities of machinery out of it. That and board games like Monopoly and Risk kept us entertained. I never had Barbies, I went through one Baby Born phase where I looked after it for a week and made my mother swear she'd feed it when I was at school :o

I made my Mam take my Tamagotchi to work to keep it alive :D

I never liked dolls at all really. I did have one, named Pebbles, which I dragged everywhere with me for a while. And I got a Baby Born at one point but all the feeding and nappy changing got pretty old pretty fast. I had some Barbies but they remained in a drawer under my bed from like, the moment I got them. Had a pram to put my dolls into too (It was like a real pram, that you could swap around depending on whether you wanted your baby facing you or not <3) but I used that to teach myself to rollerblade, more so than push babies around >_>

I had a plastic rainbow trolley filled with plastic food, a cash register and a plastic kitchen with various kettles/microwaves/ironing board/hoover/other appliances/household items. I did love my kitchen/supermarket set up <3

Also had billions of cars and a town map mat thing that kept me amused for a long time when the only other child around was my brother. He also made a good housewife though - He loved that kitchen more than I did. <3

Then I got a gameboy, and lost my imagination. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hotaru wrote: »
    TalkGirl kept me entertained for years... playing tapes (oh tapes!), recording myself, making up plays and interviews... oh the lulz were had :D

I had one of those! Except it was a Talkboy....

When I was really young I had two rabbit teddys. One was called labels, because he had the same kind of fabric as clothes labels have for the straps of his dungarees. I liked to rub the labels and suck my thumb :D My other one was called Brownie, because he was brown. I loved them both, and always wanted a pet rabbit. Then my childhood dreams were dashed when my brother got one for Christmas a few years ago. Evil little bastards, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Lego was awesome, I used to build crazy stuff out of it and make up stories as I went along.

I also had a load of wrestling action figures and a Smackdown ring. I'd put all of the wrestlers into different positions around the ring while, again, making up a story as to why they are where they are. :p I'd do the same thing with my action man and his jeep.
    I was more about the story behind the characters rather than just smashing them into each other as a fight. My friends would hate playing with them with me because they want to throw them into each other where as I'd want to set them in place in a scene. :o

Also, I remember spending hours on Donkey Kong Country and Mario Cart on the SNES and then hours on a load of different games on my Playstation. Spyro was definitely my favourite game when I was younger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm struggling to think of any cherished childhood toys :(

I had a few Action Men and stuff like that, but no toy in particular earned my love, that I can think of. Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Apart from my telescope, I didn't really play with toys all that much. They "impeded the development of my imagination." :pac: I didn't like dolls or anything like that, but I do remember getting a Talkgirl one Christmas and having great fun with my friends using it. I had a rabbit too, can't remember his name but he was green and had a red jumper and I took him everywhere, until I was seven and my dad threw him out. I also had a bag with my name on it in glitter glue, not a toy but I LOVED that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

That laptop loaded with games from the 80s was some epic piece of work. The games were way before my time, but still fun. Video related. Digger ftw.

We also had the commander keen games, wolf3d and duke nukem, who needs a NES?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've still got a few of my favourite soft toys lying around in my room :)

Might upload a few pictures later.

It's threads like this that make me wish I'd never sold my Sega Mega Drive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lads.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121095&stc=1&d=1279749997

tbh.

:eek:

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT SHOW!

I loved it! I went to see a live show of it even!

What the hell was it called?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Sooty and Sweep. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Sooty and Sweep. :D

I named my dog Sooty, because he's black and reminded me of the guy I'm pictured with above as a puppy.

It was several weeks later I realised that it was in fact Sweep he reminded me of, and I'd gotten the names backwards.

This event did indeed happen.

Oh Sooty and Sweep! And strange man! Oh how awesome ye were with yer high pitched voices and merry antics!

Thank God for YouTube <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I came across a few photos of me as a wain earlier on, two of them featured a lovely brown teddy that I clearly loved at the time. Yet I can't remember its name or even having it. Poor teddy. :(

I have better memories of my little sister's teddies; I invented personalities for them and even gave each of them their own distinctive voice. My sister has since grown up a tad and put an end to my ventriloquism. Someday in the future though Super Paddy the orange rhino will return as the irascible yet lovable superhero, saviour of all teddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Colm! wrote: »

That laptop loaded with games from the 80s was some epic piece of work. The games were way before my time, but still fun. Video related. Digger ftw.

We also had the commander keen games, wolf3d and duke nukem, who needs a NES?

Omg, digger, such a classic. That music was so annoying but so addictive. Keen was like an ancient mario type thing, him and his pogo stick :P

Edit: Just watched the video...you could SHOOT them??? I feel deprived of ever doing well in that game, I never knew that :(
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Lads.

attachment.php?attachmentid=121095&stc=1&d=1279749997

tbh.

This photo was made even more epic by my stupidly slow internet, that downloaded the top half of the pic, got stuck there and then about 30 seconds later the teddy just suddenly appeared :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I can't chose!
    One of those barking/flipping electric dogs,furby,my bike,etch-a-sketch type thing,my little pony,polly pockets,barbie, nes and playstation then.
    Does a sandpit count?I loved my sandpit.:pac:

I'd have to pick polly pockets,wtf is with the new ones?They're effing huge!
    I'm surprised more people didn't eat the smaller ones though.:pac:
    Ahh..nostalgia.

Edit: I forgot Binx,my teddy/best friend untill mam threw him out when I was 5,he was in the sandpit a lot too and was probably filthy.The more I read this the more I think people will mistake sandpit for something dirty...:pac: Sorry,insomnia causes me to ramble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It's a tough question, can only narrow it down to two toys.

Action man, still have them all in the attic. Ninja action man was the best because you could wind up his wrist and press a button so that he'd spin the sword in his hand. Amazing at the time. I had a few Dr. X's as well, but he was a prick!

power_arm_ninja.jpg

I was mad into power rangers as well. Had the costumes for halloween etc. The power ranger figures never got into, more interested in epic megazords! I had the tigerzord which was amazing because it was the only one afaik could transform from animal to megazord.

2ic9rm1.jpg

WhiteTigerzord2.jpg

Worthy mention goes to my original Tonka fire truck which I love dearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Omg, digger, such a classic. That music was so annoying but so addictive. Keen was like an ancient mario type thing, him and his pongo stick :P

Edit: Just watched the video...you could SHOOT them??? I feel deprived of ever doing well in that game, I never knew that :(
    WinDig.exe -> http://www.digger.org/windows.html http://www.digger.org/download.html
    You can now relive your the awful music and the fact that you didn't know you can press F1 to shoot.
    <3 that game tbh.

And yes, the Keen games were like Mario, with pogo sticks. The guys who made it made it based on technology they made for a PC port of Super Mario Brothers 3. After approaching Nintendo with a full port of SMB3, they were told that nintendo didn't want to enter the PC market at that time. So, they made their own game, and it was PRETTY DAMN AWESOME. Sadly, Nintendo made Super Mario World, which was even more awesome.

EDIT: whoaa, the commander keen games have a modding scene? http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxy_Mods. I think I'm going to have to find that keen floppy disc again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars and Space Jam (MJ and the green alien) toys ftw

street2bshark2bbiker2bm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Had all the toy story ones too but they were too big tbh

My old DOS box.
    Fire her up, type in the following:
    cd games
    premiermanager

Get past the ridiculous copyright protection they had on floppy-disk games back then; you had to have a spinning disk thing which matched up certain numbers with other numbers, then they chose random numbers and you had to use your disk and type in the corresponding numbers.

Damn complicated, just to play a football game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hotaru wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, remember our Game Of Life days? :p

My favourite childhood toys were probably Beanie Babies. I had HUNDREDS of them (no exaggeration >.>). They were so awesome <3
    Beanie Babies! \o/

I had 4 which I adored.

rhmys5.jpg
    Humphreys(camel), Peking(panda), Peanuts(elephant) and Piglet(pig)

All 4 still reside in my bedroom but a little worse for wear (All are missing their tags. I have the tags, they just aren't connected anymore.

EDIT: It was easier to post one single picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

creggy wrote: »
    It's a tough question, can only narrow it down to two toys.

1) There was a NINJA action man and nobody informed me? WANT.

2) I had/have that tigerzord! It was the only thing that sprang to mind when I was trying to think of toys. Pretty badass :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

A Neurotic wrote: »
    1) There was a NINJA action man and nobody informed me? WANT.

2) I had/have that tigerzord! It was the only thing that sprang to mind when I was trying to think of toys. Pretty badass :cool:
    I have a good few action men as well. After a while they made them with plastic hair instead of the fuzzy material. Never was teh same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

1955 to 1958 my fav toy was a golliwog named Jack. Was one of the very few toys I had. Took him everywhere.

Advertisement