Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astra and Hotbird on a 60cm dish

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

As the title says Im wondering if its possible to get Astra 28.2E and Hotbird 13E on a 60cm dish with 2 LNB's in Co.Waterford?

Living in an apartment block so an 80cm dish might be too big

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'll get the stronger Hotbird channels, maybe all in the clear sky.

In Athlone or West/ North /South west it would be pointless.

It's marginal and you will have breakup on 13E or 28E or both depending on the arrangement of offset during rain.

If an 80cm is too big, they won't allow a 60cm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had an 80cm, and was getting breakup, the ever talented Rippy sorted me out with a 90cm upgrade and all is well now. I'm in Cork with 3 LNBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you could motorise the 60cm? then you'll get a lot more than those 2 satellites

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

Thanks for the replies guys

I thought it might be asking a bit much of a 60cm dish. A 60cm with a motor is a good idea I might look into that

Realistically Ill need at least an 80 then because if there is going to be interference, that kind of defeats the purpose

Even with a motor, 60cm is a little small, even in Waterford (which is better than say, Limerick :) for ALL the channels, in rain on hotbird.

• Advertisement

Im lucky with location because Im right in front of the sea so have a clear line of sight, but with that comes heavy winds in the winter, so Ill need something sturdy to hold it on the wall, plus the rain factor aswell

Im at a loss of what to do because I only want channels from Astra and Hotbird, so I think a big 80cm/1m motorised dish would be wasted, and Id be worried it would be whipped off the wall during the winter

But a 60cm with 2 lnbs is too small, maybe Ill go with an 80cm with 2 lnbs and a disecq switch

SteJay wrote: »
    Im lucky with location because Im right in front of the sea so have a clear line of sight, but with that comes heavy winds in the winter, so Ill need something sturdy to hold it on the wall, plus the rain factor aswell

Im at a loss of what to do because I only want channels from Astra and Hotbird, so I think a big 80cm/1m motorised dish would be wasted, and Id be worried it would be whipped off the wall during the winter

But a 60cm with 2 lnbs is too small, maybe Ill go with an 80cm with 2 lnbs and a disecq switch

It doesnt have to be mounted high, my 1.1m motorised is about 1.5m off the ground on a ground mount. Avoids all the wind, and most of the rain!

That might be an idea, I have no earth as such to bury a pole but a tripod might do the trick provided nobody messes with it

You can get a stand with four pad on ground to take blocks or slabs.

Maybe Im being too cautious, there was a sky dish in the exact same position I want, on the wall already with no problems, would a normal t+k bracket not keep an 80cm motorised dish on the wall?

• Advertisement

You need more clearance from the wall depending on dish, azimuth, bracket type and motor design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

A 65 cm dish here in Antrim will bring in Hotbird (or the stronger transponders at any rate). Id imagine a dual LNB serup for 13/28* East would be pushing it a bit though

* By "Astra" I presume you mean Astra 2

Its ok now, I went with a sky dish just for Astra

watty wrote: »
    You can get a stand with four pad on ground to take blocks or slabs.

Ive a 75 cm dish fixed onto a heavy block in the back garden. Hasn't moved in 3 odd years. The mount i used was a Maplins dish mount that i had spare, that when fixed the wrong way round worked perfectly bolted to a block, giving me a vertical mount to mount the dish.

Advertisement