Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increasing Wheel Size?

Options
  • 20-07-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the implications, if any, would be when inceasing wheel size?

Id like to throw some alloys on my 00 Corolla and Ive just seen a nice set of 16's with 205 / 45 /16 tyres.

Now the current tyres are 165/70/R14 on steel wheels so Id be increasing wheel size 2" and increasing width quite a bit, would this decrease fuel economy and what kind of effect would it have on the handling (not that it's anything special to begin with)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

You should see better handling with the wider wheels and lower profile tyres.
    Your acceleration might be slowed down a tiny bit, unnoticeable really, with the bigger, heavier wheels. Your mpg might decrease a tiny bit as well, only ever so slightly though as the wider tyres create more rolling resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Thanks,

I just did some calculations and I think the total radius (rolling radius ? ) would be increased by about 2mm which is grand from what I can tell, throws the speedo out by less than 1%.

One thing that's bothering me is the offset, I think these wheels are 45mm from reading other forums but the corolla is spec'd for 35-42mm (again, going by some website, could be wrong).

Would there be any problems going 3mm outside of recommended offset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Redisle wrote: »
    what I can tell, throws the speedo out by less than 1%.

?

your speedo is just a rough estimation, the faster you drive the further off it becomes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

So does anyone know if it's okay to go outside the recommended offset?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

It should be ok but there is a slight chance that the wheel won't clear the caliper due to the larger offset on the alloys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

There's a few things to watch out for when getting bigger wheels. I've a focus that had 205/40/17's on it when i got it. Did damage to the alloys a couple of time with potholes (:mad:) so when i was changing 2 of the tyres for the NCT i put 205/45/17s on instead, as the slightly thicker sidewall would protect the wheel a bit more.

Put them on the back of the car and as soon as i put a few lads in the back the tyres rubbed the body going over even minor bumps. Changed them over to the front sorted that (less suspension travel) but on the downside it had a fairly big effect on the car's performance. Granted the car was never exactly quick but with the bigger driving wheels on it now its quite a bit more sluggish. 5th gear is literally only a 'holding spped' gear now and pretty much zero acceleration. Annoying on a motorway.

I'd be reluctant to put 18s on a corolla but then again i haven't driven one so couldn't say for sure. Just a couple of pointers to bear in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Redisle wrote: »
    Now the current tyres are 165/70/R14 on steel wheels so Id be increasing wheel size 2" and increasing width quite a bit, would this decrease fuel economy and what kind of effect would it have on the handling (not that it's anything special to begin with)?

There's no benefits at all for doing this mate, you'd be far better off replacing the current ones with the same size but maybe made from a lighter alloy and get a good set of tyres, increasing the wheel size by that much will lower performace, lower fuel economy, make handling less responsive and may have other ramifications which you might have never considered, the car was designed for a specific sized tyre, changing that alone will only result in bad stuff happening, might look a little better but that's about it really.

Advertisement