Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can i get My Media Player to work properly again on PC and in Firefox

• 20-07-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Recently when downloading an extra media player (VLC) i think i accidentally reset my media player from windows default on my pc, so i did this Start > Set Program Access and Defaults > Custom > (assuming the 'current media player' was no longer Windows Media Player) i selected the Windows Media Player box and whilst it did change from the new player to Windows..it doesn't look right - all the files that had the usual WMP icon now have different more specific icons WMV or AVI etc and listening to my favorite radio station used to automatically open in the Media Player when i use Firefox it no longer does (though it opens if i use IE??) I have a feeling i need to do something on both my PC and in Mozilla but i've no idea what?

WMP itself plays fine its just the interaction with internet and the fact that the icons look wrong.

Help please (and apologies if my description sounds convoluted) sort of hard one to explain.
    Thanks in advance guys!!

Ps. I've put this up on yahoo answers as well as its messing up my own website player (which is now just a series of black boxes) so even if anyone has thoughts on where else i could post this i'd appreciate it - i've gotta resolve this urgently
    Thanks again

DrF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried right clicking on the video or audio file that you are trying to play and selecting open with and selecting WMP, then tick the make this my default

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

in firefox go to tools-options-applications-you will see two lists on the left is the content (your on line radio station should be here),if you highlight the application on the right, then left click it once you will get a drop down menue where you can chose what firefox uses to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help here.
    Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried right clicking on the video or audio file that you are trying to play and selecting open with and selecting WMP, then tick the make this my default

Yeah i tried that but in terms of media on my website page nothing comes up? It's just a blank rectangle the play buttons etc are gone and nothing happens when i left click the rectangles. I've been told they're playing alright (but opening very slowly) on other computers when people view the page (gonna go out later and check in an internet cafe or somewhere to confirm) but not playing on my pc any more
    mp22 wrote: »
    in firefox go to tools-options-applications-you will see two lists on the left is the content (your on line radio station should be here),if you highlight the application on the right, then left click it once you will get a drop down menue where you can chose what firefox uses to open it.

I don't see anything in the list that comes up as the station (its todayfm) but i've selected one of the options for Windows Media Audio Shortcut and changed the option on the drop down from - Use Windows Media Player Plug In to Use Windows Media Player Default - to see if that makes any difference once i reboot later...but i'm not sure it will really as its just a random application i've chosen from the list.

The thing is...opening the external player for todayfm this is a problem in Firefox but it opens fine in IE but the media on my website (which is edited using firefox as per recommendation of site providers) won't play in either Firefox or IE on this pc. Both of these worked fine up until this problem.

I'm just wondering at this stage should i try system restore? Not sure how that works but from what i can gather it restores your settings to what they were before a specific date.

Any thoughts on this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I dont know if this will help,attached is how my firefox is set up,it plays on line radio in wmp.

mp22 wrote: »
    I dont know if this will help,attached is how my firefox is set up,it plays on line radio in wmp.

Cheers mp22 that at least clarifies that i don't need to change wmp from plugin to default in apps as i've done (see image) so i'll undo that.

Other than that it looks as though we're set up pretty much the same...

• Advertisement

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Or even a recommendation on whether or not a system restore process would be an option?

Cheers ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Uninstall firefox,reboot pc and download the latest version.IF you use system restore to june 1st 2010,you,ll lose all data,mp3s saved,after june the 1st.

ricman wrote: »
    Uninstall firefox,reboot pc and download the latest version.IF you use system restore to june 1st 2010,you,ll lose all data,mp3s saved,after june the 1st.

Cheers ricman, will give that a shot and hopefully the system restore won't be necessary - though if i do have to go the restore route i think i'll be alright as i havent added much in the way of data that i can't resource easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i thought system restore didn't affect files. what OS are you, OP?

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i thought system restore didn't affect files. what OS are you, OP?

Hi whiteman i'm windows xp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement