Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best newspapers for book coverage

Options
  • 21-07-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

What newspapers do people here read for book related things?

I got a copy of Saturday's Irish Times and I was impressed overall. The book section was pretty decent, compared with the Irish Examiner anyway.

I also see a lot of The Guardian [British paper] online, but I doubt that that's as available here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

The Guardian is available in most every newsagent. They sometimes don't get too many copies so it may sell out fast. Not sure what day they have most of the book reviews. Could be Saturday .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

You will find both The Guardian and The Observer online at http://www.guardian.co.uk/ It's completely free. The Observer's book pages are (in my opinion) better than those of the Irish Times. The IT will cover more locally published books, that's inevitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I read the Sunday Time's Culture section every week. It has some great book reviews.

The economist magazine is also pretty interesting. You come across some strange titles every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I usually read the Times Literary Supplement and the London Review of Books online; just for whatever is free on there, not the stuff that's behind a pay wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Without doubt, The Observer, published on Sundays is the best. Their 'New Review' magazine is brilliant. "The Arts' supplement in The Sunday Tribune is very good for a quick glance but The Observer is comprehensive, interesting and informative.

The Guardian is very good too but The Observer has a lot more in it and is a sister paper of The Guardian anyway. Pretty much every newsagent will have both of them, just don't leave it too late on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Joan Fontaine

I like the Guardian and if you can't get it in a shop it's all online.

Great paper all round by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I got today's Guardian - great paper. I haven't got to the lengthy book section yet, but even the normal news is peppered with topics I'm unused to seeing in the Irish papers.

I might buy The Observer tomorrow, for comparison purposes! Cheers for the recommendations, all.
    Denerick wrote: »
    I read the Sunday Time's Culture section every week. It has some great book reviews.

It seems interesting as a general magazine too. We get Time Magazine here but it is hopelessly Americo-centric. I was thinking of changing the subscription to The Economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I have the Lond Review Of Books. It's not a news paper, but it looks like one :)

Advertisement