Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Electronics BB

Options
  • 21-07-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I live in a remote area of Donegal unserved by Eircom broadband or NBC, and can't get a signal on Vodafone, 02 or 3 mobile.

I've been seeing ads for North West Electronics satellite BB. Has anybody tried it and does it work at all? It isn't outrageously expensive but I'm not going to lay out the cash for it if it's no use.

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This was a 'special' NBS for Donegal from a few years back. It does not have a good reputation http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64244025

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Thanks - that is helpful.

Well, that's my last shred of hope of ever getting broadband in my house gone.:(

I guess it's continue humping the laptop down to catch McGrory's Wifi any time I need to download something big or use something more complicated than Facebook or a message board. At least it's a pleasant place to sit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I honestly don't know the situation now , ask in the BB forum about NWE Wireless and their current service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ZuluPunch

I live in a remote area of Donegal unserved by Eircom broadband or NBC, and can't get a signal on Vodafone, 02 or 3 mobile.

I've been seeing ads for North West Electronics satellite BB. Has anybody tried it and does it work at all? It isn't outrageously expensive but I'm not going to lay out the cash for it if it's no use.

Any comments appreciated.

Hi Tigress
    Well we have our broadband with North West Electronics / NWE in Derry.
    Unfortunately the connection has been down for ( and this isn't a misprint coming up) two and a half months!
    No idea when it is going to be fixed but apparently many others, according to NWE who are on the same mast are in the same boat. The mast we are on is somewhere near Lifford, so if they put you on that mast then expect problems.

Such a lengthy outage is completely unacceptable and we are looking into using a different wireless ISP. NWE seem understaffed and under-skilled for the job they are taking on. Ive also tried speaking to the managers in NWE but they are never free to take a call and never return a call.

You may get better reviews from folks who are on a different mast. The above is simply our experience. and for us NWE have been poor, very poor.

Good luck in whatever you do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Thanks for the heads-up, Zulu.

Back to the drawing board!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

They applied to join INEX yesterday, so they must be investing in their network.

Unfortunately all things are not equal with wireless and you can be unlucky with which mast you end up on. Give them a call and find out how far you are from your nearest mast.

Advertisement