Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Per-post CAPTCHA requirement for every user's first 10 (?) posts

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I can't remember if there was some sort of CAPTCHA-style human verification thing when I created my account and I don't know if there is one now, but I'd think that the requirement of human verification when signing up and for every post of a new user's first few posts would eliminate a huge amount of spam (at least the automated kind). Having the verification take place over the course of several posts wouldn't be taxing on a new user as they'd be entering text when posting anyway, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if there was an explanation that the requirement to do so would disappear after a certain number of posts.

(I'm sorry if this was posted before, I couldn't find the previous thread if it was.)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is there a big problem with automated spam? I've been on boards for quite a while, and I can't recall ever seeing any spam that was bot-created. Also, there's a pretty big percentage of new users who will not read the detail about captchas only being required for a few posts (you only have to look at the number of new users posting in help desk looking for everything to see that), and it will put them off.

Seems pointless to irritate new users for something which isn't a problem

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a 3000+ post thread just listing spammers' usernames at the top of the forum, a fair whack of which are spambots. I think the idea would irritate people, especially if the harder-to-read captchas are used. It would shift the donkey-work from the mods to the newbies, which is perhaps not all that fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive seen it used on some sites before.

Unless we were absolutely intolerably laden with spammers other than the likes of Sharpy :p i really dont like the idea.\\Im all for making it as easy and straight forward for new members to get included in the site, and as little effort as a CAPTCHA would require its just another straw in the way of posting and imo makes it tedious, particularly for those of us that has poor browser / internet speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I run a VB site in the UK and it's relatively easy to customise VB to also include a few custom questions at registration time to weed out the bots - Captcha alone is next to useless now.

Advertisement