Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix park after dark

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

is the park a safe place to walk after dark, have often thought of bringing the dog but am weary of the place after it gets dark or is there just parts to be avoided ,if so which parts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

I wouldnt do it very dodgy everywhere . All sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I can't say it's dodgy, I don't meet anyone there. Everywhere realy?

But back when I was fit (fat bastard now :o) I used to go running in the park all the time, 10 milers a few times a week.

OP, at night it just is not possible without a torch. Well, barely possible when I did at 4am one day and that's because you can see the kerb but not the footpath.
    There is feck all lighting, you'll be tripping over things.
    Even along Chesterfield Avenue with the limited lighting it's extremely dark.
    The cycle lane is better lit then the footpath but you meet ninja cyclists with no lights and black clothing. So stay off the cycle lane.

I'm not saying stay out of the park due to people, I've hear the Emmett Stag story but I wouldn't have a clue where to go to meet anybody, the park is a big place.
    All I'll say is it's pitch black and do want to walk around somewhere like that?
    At least buy a torch, maybe the ones you wrap the holder around your forehead, they look good.
    Why not walk outside the park, Conyngham Road & Chapelizod Rd, well lit, straight, has a cycle lane so cyclists out of your way and there is traffic so no feelings of isolation, that's what I'd do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Keep clear of the papal cross and any of the residences in the park,
    one side you run into dealers and people up to all sorts the other it's security.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I can't say it's dodgy, I don't meet anyone there. Everywhere realy?

But back when I was fit (fat bastard now :o) I used to go running in the park all the time, 10 milers a few times a week.

OP, at night it just is not possible without a torch. Well, barely possible when I did at 4am one day and that's because you can see the kerb but not the footpath.
    There is feck all lighting, you'll be tripping over things.
    Even along Chesterfield Avenue with the limited lighting it's extremely dark.
    The cycle lane is better lit then the footpath but you meet ninja cyclists with no lights and black clothing. So stay off the cycle lane.

I'm not saying stay out of the park due to people, I've hear the Emmett Stag story but I wouldn't have a clue where to go to meet anybody, the park is a big place.
    All I'll say is it's pitch black and do want to walk around somewhere like that?
    At least buy a torch, maybe the ones you wrap the holder around your forehead, they look good.
    Why not walk outside the park, Conyngham Road & Chapelizod Rd, well lit, straight, has a cycle lane so cyclists out of your way and there is traffic so no feelings of isolation, that's what I'd do

yes your probably right about torch although maybe that could attrct weirdoes from a distance , think i will give it a miss unless i get a bigger dog , the one i have is a small bichon friese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I don't think there is a single park in Ireland that is safe to walk in during night....

best just to do some laps of your garden

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Brendog wrote: »
    I don't think there is a single park in Ireland that is safe to walk in during night....

QFT..this includes such illustrious havens as Stephens Green and Merrion Square..just keep out of parks at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mara.

if you're lookin for some lovin, there's plenty a rentboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

by now I've been there at any time of the day and night. Wouldn't consider it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Keep clear of the papal cross and any of the residences in the park,
    one side you run into dealers and people up to all sorts the other it's security.

drug dealing at the papal cross:eek: JPII would be spinning in his grave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I used to live beside it, I wouldn't go wandering in there after dark tbh. 90% of the place could be grand, but it could be just your look to find the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Depending on your dog. Rottweilers and Dobermans, yes....Pink Poodles and Chiwawas, definitely no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Parks in every city never have a good reputation as places to hang around in after dark. I know a good few people who live up around there and apparently some parts (Furry Glen?? me thinks) are a tad sketchy even in the daytime. i don't know the park welll enough to say how safe it is but I'd stay out of it at night if I were you, you probably won't meet anyone you'd want to at night. Wasn't there a German girl camping there murdered a few years back???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ive never had a bother in the park at night. Plenty of people walking dogs and jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dekbhoy wrote: »
    but am weary of the place after it gets dark .

Well if you're tired of it stop going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Dancor wrote: »
    Ive never had a bother in the park at night. Plenty of people walking dogs and jogging.

Or just plain dogging...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres an enclosed area in the flower garden near Parkgate Street that many homeless people stay in overnight, a romanian woman was murdered there over a year ago. Its a massive area of land and should be safe but if you ever get into a spot of bother you have nowhere really to go or have anyone to help. You could walk around there at 3am all your life and be fine or you could go in once and meet another Malcolm McArthur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Theres an enclosed area in the flower garden near Parkgate Street that many homeless people stay in overnight, a romanian woman was murdered there over a year ago.
    I think that you are mistaken - there was a Romanian woman who was found dead on Military Road area near the Magazine Fort. This was over the August Bank Holiday weekend 2009 - it forced the rejigging of the duathlon on August 5 (I was in that race).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

daymobrew wrote: »
    I think that you are mistaken - there was a Romanian woman who was found dead on Military Road area near the Magazine Fort. This was over the August Bank Holiday weekend 2009 - it forced the rejigging of the duathlon on August 5 (I was in that race).

Why didnt they just run around her,or better yet,move the body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mara. wrote: »
    if you're lookin for some lovin, there's plenty a rentboys.

Your starting early!.

Have a yellow card :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd steer clear of it - and any closed city centre park - judging by anecdotal evidence. Then again, if it's a big dog.. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

The what story?

Anyway, I wouldn't go to the Pheonix Park at night. Someone mentioned about a German student who went camping there, isn't there some rule against that a la Glendalough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The what story?

I'd say you know exactly what story

I'd never heard of this aspect of the Phoenix Park until this happened
    In 1994 Emmet Stagg, a Minister of State in the Fianna Fail and Labour coalition government, openly admitted indiscretion with a rent-boy in the Phoenix Park.

For weeks Stagg's resignation seemed imminent but eventually salvation came in the form of support from Tanaiste Dick Spring and Taoiseach Albert Reynolds who said "charity and restraint" should be shown to the government minister.

The Labour Party demanded a Garda inquiry into who told the press about Mr Stagg's late-night trips to the Phoenix Park. Emmet Stagg is still Labour TD for Kildare.

Late night trips to the park, it's relevant for the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

:eek: Honestly didn't know that, I wasn't up-to-date with the news when I was 4. And there was a Tanaiste called Dick Spring? Yikes! Thanks for letting me know about it, didn't have a clue about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

there was a Tanaiste called Dick Spring?

At the time, he was the only prominent politician in Europe who was named after a sex toy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Thaedydal wrote: »
    one side you run into dealers and people up to all sorts

ok mam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The what story?

Anyway, I wouldn't go to the Pheonix Park at night. Someone mentioned about a German student who went camping there, isn't there some rule against that a la Glendalough?

Camping is banned there but I think she just ignored the rules. I can't seem to find a newspaper article about it but I'm almost certain I recall it happening sometime in the 90's??? Does anyone else remember that murder or is my mind playing tricks ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ive been in there at night time and found it perfectly safe... then again... i WAS carrying an assault rifle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Whats a "Dick spring" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Camping is banned there but I think she just ignored the rules. I can't seem to find a newspaper article about it but I'm almost certain I recall it happening sometime in the 90's??? Does anyone else remember that murder or is my mind playing tricks ?

Your mind isn't playing tricks but you don't recall the details correctly. Two German men were attacked while camping in the Phoenix Park in summer 1991. One died and the other received serious injuries but later recovered. I can't seem to find any info online but I remember the incident clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The apparent murder of a 26-year-old German man in a tent in the Phoenix Park came two days after the announcement that crimes against tourists were down on previous years in the Dublin area. The man and a companion were asleep in their tent when they were set upon by up to four men who beat them with clubs. The dead man suffered severe head injuries. His companion feigned unconsciousness and was tied up. He was admitted to hospital after raising the alarm. This crime has shocked public opinion here and there were many calls to the German embassy in the aftermath.

LINK
    Two months ago a gang of youths leaving a pub around midnight beat a man senseless on the city's main avenue, O'Connell Street. A German camper was mugged and killed last summer in Phoenix Park, a few steps from the residences of President Mary Robinson and the American Ambassador, Richard A. Moore. From Homicide to Hepplewhite

LINK

Advertisement