Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could be causing my terrible broadband??

• 21-07-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭

Since last Monday my download speeds have been ridiculously bad, I did a speed test a few minutes ago and it was 0.11 mb (on a 7mb line). I called eircom support on Sunday, first guy hadn't a clue, said to call back in two hours for someone who could fix it, that person couldn't fix it either.
    They sent out an engineer who arrived this morning, he said the problem was that little box that connects the outside phone wire to your router. He put in a new box and said it was fixed, but tonight it's got worse, since 9pm it's been down 95% of the time and when it isn't I'm getting speeds like 0.11mb as I mentioned above, what could the problem be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Line stats needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Where can I get those from?

I called eircom again this morning and they said the phone/router splitter I was using was not allowing me to get 8mb speed and it was stopping it from working altogether, so they had to reduce it back down to 6mb, seems to be working now if still extremely slow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

search boards for "line stats" and then giz your line stats please

Without Phone Line Connected

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 21.50
    CRC Errors 11 1

With Phone Line Connected

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.00 21.50
    CRC Errors 10 1

Without phone line connected

886851455.png

With phone line connected

886848150.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have you a filter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're syncing at 6Mbps, which is a little low for 37dB attenuation, but not too bad all the same. The phone line is definitely causing a drop in SNR margin, so there's some wiring issue there, or possibly modem/splitter problem. Low margin can cause disconnects and problems with stability.

If the problem is internal wiring, then you've got a lot of checking to do. eircom's responsibility ends with the main NTU, and any other equipment they rent to you. If the problem is the modem, then it's an easy fix, eircom may or may not provide a new one, but they're very cheap anyway. You might be better off to buy your own, rather than getting the incredibly crap Zyxel that eircom are currently providing.

Have you a filter?
    No
    jor el wrote: »
    You're syncing at 6Mbps, which is a little low for 37dB attenuation, but not too bad all the same.
    They manually reduced it down to 6mb this morning.
    jor el wrote:
    If the problem is the modem, then it's an easy fix, eircom may or may not provide a new one, but they're very cheap anyway. You might be better off to buy your own, rather than getting the incredibly crap Zyxel that eircom are currently providing.
    Hmm maybe I should try another router.

Advertisement