Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stealing

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

One of the new members of staff has a record for theft and its quite substantial and was not their first time either, what do I do, do I approach my boss and mention it or just pray nothing goes amiss on our shift, i'm new in the job also. What should I do,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

kittybee wrote: »
    One of the new members of staff has a record for theft and its quite substantial and was not their first time either, what do I do, do I approach my boss and mention it or just pray nothing goes amiss on our shift, i'm new in the job also. What should I do,

A record of theft from your employer? Of a criminal record unrelated to the job?

If they've been stealing from work, of course you should report it, but if its a criminal record obtained outside of work, then its not any business of yours.

If a criminal record impact on the employee's ability to carry out the job, then the employer should make provisions to assess this. If not, then its probably best not to stigmatise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

kittybee wrote: »

Please see the 1976 rehabilitation act .... There are guide lines set out that might be useful.

Under this legislation SPENT convictions do not need to be listed in a job application ... depending on the type of work and profession.

I assume you don't want to associate with a criminal and want to do soemthing about it. If you feel that way then write to your local TD and get them to petition to legislate a rehabilitation act for ireland rather than feel it is in any way a work issue when it isn't. The irish law reform commission have recommended that most convictions are spent after 5- 7 years. It is not very well thought out and should be considered more closley imo.

At least you have made some effort to do the right thing. Your possibly right also if his convictions are recent he should have listed them. I suppose your too afraid to confront him about it because he might be dangerous and target you blah blah blah or just be a outright liar. Even if he has a conviction he is entitled to work for a living. The purpose of punishment and rehabilitation is that the person has repaid society for their crime and are now welcome back to society.

I know many irish people do not understand this because our system is inadeqaute antiquated and largely ineffective with overly lenient punishments and irish criminals can be very very mean. But ireland is not a big prison and people have rights.

IMO Much of this hardened attitude is a little to do with people like you but mostly the extremely corrupt judicial system that causes so many wrongful convictions.

Advertisement