Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian lakes travel advice

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm going for one week to Italian lakes.

We will be staying at Lake Lugano. Plan to visit Milan and lakes around.
    We will rent a car.

Plan to do some photography and video. What is a must to shoot in your opinion.

Any advice what interesting to visit? Practical suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Bring lots of memory cards and switch them around often. And keep them in different bags. Seriously.

That way, if you happen to lose one or two - you'll still have loads of shots to treasure.

Other than that - shoot away! It's up to you what you think is photo-worthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi, I am just back from Lake Garda but unfortunatley didnt get much time to take many photos as the kids kept me busy!!! Will post some later if I can.

Didnt go in to Milan but Verona is worth a visit its not to far from you. Take the A 4 Autostrada from Milan and you will be there in 50 minutes, oops just looked at map Verona is a good drive from where you will be however the train service is quite good. Also about an hour from Milan you have Parco Paridiso which is supposed to be beautiful. Around Pescheira where I stayed early morning and evening time was nice. Bring filters, CPL and N.Ds. The light was very harsh.

Some beautiful gardens and some of the small villages are stunning. You have a car so set the alarm early and head into the country side. Enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Just back from Lake Maggiore.

One thing which might influence your photography is that there is a constant haze on the lakes so that shots of the views will lack colour and clarity. I went up two local hills to check out the views and it wasn't worth the effort. Travelling on the lake boats would, you might expect, give good shots of the shore on either side but that was not the case - haze, again.

So, not much in long distance shooting. Better to concentrate on things closer to hand.

Three excellent gardens easily accessible from Streasa on Lake Maggiore: Isola Bella, Isola Madre and Villa Taranto. Also, Isola Supiore dei Pescatore is very pleasant.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was there a few years back and only had a point and shoot digital.

Here are a few I've up on pix.

I was in Lake Garda, Verona and Venice. I did a trip to the dolomites, if you're into mountains then this a photographers paradise.

Edited to add - If you're going to Verona you should try and do one of the open air operas in the arena, not sure about cameras being allowed but they would be a great photo opportunity if you can get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Following on Phog's comments: Lake Garda is certainly a wonderful place, great for photography. The Dolomites are fantastically beautiful - and the air is clear. Verona is wonderful and the opera not to be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Milan, Bergamo, Varenna, Verona all fantastic. Milan is quite underrated as it pales compared to the likes of Roma and Firenze but there's still a lot to see (and shoot). I've been a couple of dozen times for football but there's more to see. I'd recommend getting the metro to the San Siro anyway, spectacular architecture. Here's some kodak-facebook albums I took on visits, not good photos but you'll get an idea

Milan

Milan

Milan Varenna Verona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DMax

Grande grazie for all your coments.

We've had wonderful time.
    This place is beautiful. Food, wine and coffee fantastico.

We explored both Lake Lugano and Como. Every little village or city was so
    amazing so we even didn't bother to go to other lakes. Maybe next time.

The haze is noticeable and I think it's due to hot temperature. On one evening we had heavy rain and next morning air was clear with good long distance visibility good for shooting.

I managed this time bring all my memory cards safe home.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont forget to post a few here. Ciao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DMax

Una foto:

4899081113_afbd00ace7_b.jpg

Advertisement