Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Novice Users- Do You Want Some Guidance?

• 21-07-2010 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

Getting your greasy mitts on your DSLR can be pretty daunting stuff. There are so many controls, loads of manual options and even interchangeable lenses- a far cry from a simple compact camera. Then there's all the terms and technical stuff such as aperture, shutter speed, focal lengths etc. It's not easy at the best of times- we've all been there at one time or another.

Photography is a long slow process, there's always something to learn. I know back in the day I'd have liked a guiding hand. I've always taken things on board far better when I can see what's going on, ask questions rather than reading from a book or computer screen. Back in the day (only a few years ago) I didn't have that chance and so learning how everything works has been a long ongoing thing.

Let me state that I'm not the worlds greatest photographer, not by any means. I never really had a hobby and fell into this somewhat after having met my other half. I really enjoy taking photos for my own personal satisfaction though and can churn out a decent photo or two every now and again. With that said I have learnt a few things and had been mulling over an idea for the last few weeks.

If there is any interest from the novices among you I would be quite happy to meet up some Saturday or Sunday and go through various aspects of your new toy, explain some of the terminology and give you some pointers. I can bring along some of the gear I have and show you the benefits of that. If after all that you're still hungry for more I am quite happy to give you some information in regards to Photoshop and Lightroom and show you these in action (this does involve coming to my abode as my laptop battery is all but dead!).

As I said, this is for the photographer who is new to all this and feels like they might be in over their head. I don't have any sort of ego but if I can offer some advice and if it benefits someone well then that's fantastic. Rather than a group of people (that'd just be scary) this might be better one on one for the moment. Maybe it'll turn into a group thing, who knows. Anywho have a look at what I deem to be my best photos and if you're interested reply on this thread saying so. First person to do so is the unfortunate lucky one. If you cancel then it'll go to the person after you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/sets/72157622446614194

If another forum regular thinks I'm an idiot and that this is a terrible idea please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Great idea I think :)

Brave man though, you have no clue who will respond to such a request!!! Imagine ... if say, Cailna .... pretended to be a n00b!!! .... man ...

.... jk.

I do say go for it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Sounds like a great idea! I hope it goes well for you and its great you want to share what you know with others :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i think its a good idea, although the term noob is not exactly flattering, considering your trying to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm ok with being called a noob! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

stcstc wrote: »
    i think its a good idea, although the term noob is not exactly flattering, considering your trying to help.

Ah it's meant with some jest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Noob is fine sure :D. What a great idea Kintaro Hattori and if I lived any bit closer to Dublin (where I presume you are ?) and had a babysitter, and ... I'd take you up on it. I've been trying to self-teach the last year or so, but it's a lonely road, although thank goodness for the internet, forums like this really help. Haven't been able to join a club/class yet (work and kids and... time ???) so never got a chance to ask someone a single question on camera/lenses/exposure/etc... ever really. Have no photog friends nearby :(. I've asked the few questions online here and there, but as a noob you're always afraid to sound really silly, or be shot down in flames for "not reading the manual", or not googling something. Google is all good and fine, but it can't always replace somebody's live advice.

So thanks, hope someone takes you up on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd make an awful tutor.
    'what does this button do?'
    '****ed if i know.'
    'this one?'
    'eh, turbo boost?'
    'okay, how about this one?'
    'it makes the little thing big'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

sorry i wasnt being smart, i just didnt want people to get offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

At what stage do you think the 'n00b' tag can be dropped? I still feel like a noob, though I have manual controls down, pretty much. I feel I take decent pictures and I'm handy enough at the PP. But, I still feel There's a mountain of stuff to learn yet. I guess novice is a better word than n00b? :)

stcstc wrote: »
    -Chris- wrote: »
    I'm ok with being called a noob! :D

If I'm new to something I have no problem being called a noob- it's not insulting, it's just a term used on the web and which has been around for many many years. I find it hard to believe that someone could derive any insult from the way in which it was used here.
    Newbie is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming.[1] It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

Nevertheless the term has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Lovely idea, fair play!!

So nobody has taken you up on it yet.... may I? ;)

kjt wrote: »
    Lovely idea, fair play!!

So nobody has taken you up on it yet.... may I? ;)

Ha - I think you could teach all of us a thing or two Kyle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Ahh I think everyone who picks up a camera can teach anybody a thing or two. I've learnt lots from family member who aren't even over 10!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im game ball for this. When i did photography as a module in college, it was pre the digital era! Therefore despite my all singing and dancing DSLR, i only use 2 features - On and Off!

:o

faceman wrote: »
    Im game ball for this. When i did photography as a module in college, it was pre the digital era! Therefore despite my all singing and dancing DSLR, i only use 2 features - On and Off!

:o

Coola Boola Faceman. Now I'm based in Dublin and if I remember correctly you're somewhere like Wexford or Waterford.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Coola Boola Faceman. Now I'm based in Dublin and if I remember correctly you're somewhere like Wexford or Waterford.

Im in Dublin too, never lived in Wexford or Waterford! ;)

Im in Dublin too, never lived in Wexford or Waterford! ;)

Hehe OK, don't know how I thought that. Alright then. I'll send you a PM and we'll organize something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id certainly love some help as well would it defeat the purpose of the one on one if I came along?

Grimes wrote: »
    Id certainly love some help as well would it defeat the purpose of the one on one if I came along?

Heh no I think I can manage the two of you. I'm ok with it as long as Faceman doesn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Heh no I think I can manage the two of you. I'm ok with it as long as Faceman doesn't mind.

Excellent, I look forward to it. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Oooh! It turned into a threesome....nice! :D

Seriously though fair dues to you, Kintarō Hattori, for offering your services. Brilliant idea and very noble of you. Hope it goes well and look forward to reading your posts on the follow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Yes do, please post a follow-up post, might be the starts of something! Great idea.

Looking forward to this now! :)

Looking forward to this now! :)

Noooooooooooooooooo! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

It's a fantastic idea fair play! I'm still camera stalking/shopping but would have jumped in on this otherwise!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    It's a fantastic idea fair play! I'm still camera stalking/shopping but would have jumped in on this otherwise!

When you do make a purchase you're more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

When you do make a purchase you're more than welcome.

Thank you :)

Due to a hectic schedule Faceman was unable to meet today (meeting him later in the week) so I'm happy to try this thing again tomorrow. Say around 2pm- any takers?

May I?

I know the very basics, but even would like to be thought those again from another person. You can never unlearn anything :)

Edit; woops, just seen this is organised for tomorrow. Wouldn't be able to do it. Hope ye both have a good time though. :)

• Advertisement

Damn, I just got a call from the sister who is over from Edinburgh with my niece and nephew so I'll have to go home and visit them. It was a total surprise that they are in the country.

OK next Saturday I can't meet-up but I'll be free on the Sunday, again around 2pm so if there's any takers just let me know.

So Kintaro was my teacher for a couple of hours last week and it was definitely worth hooking up with him! He's knows his stuff and he didnt make me feel like any of my (dumb) questions were stupid. Picked up a few things and now all I need is my nifty fifty and Im sorted! ;)

(well that an intense Photoshop tutoring!)

Thanks for the session dude!

Advertisement