Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No date for a wedding

• 21-07-2010 6:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a wedding coming up and my date just bailed for work. I haven't been to a wedding in years, so I don't know how bad it is to turn up with no date. Would it be like turning up to a ball alone? I guess in the mass part it won't be too bad as we'll all be sitting together, but if there's assigned seating then there'll be a space next to me, and that would make me sad.

I can't really ask a friend as it's a work day, and it's very far away. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Tell the bride and groom quickly you will be coming alone and they can rearrange the seating and might get out of paying for your date's meal. No shame in going alone but dreary if you don't know anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At a wedding, you're often assigned to a table, not to a seat. So when you go to the table, you can choose your seat and make sure that there are people on both sides.

The question is, do you know enough people at the wedding to keep yourself entertained for the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exactly as Grawns says.

There's no harm in asking one of your friends - they always have the option to say no if it doesn't suit them. You never know, one of them might be looking for an excuse to get away for a break.

Whatever you're doing though, it's good manners to let the bride and groom know who will be attending their wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice. I have asked a few people, but doubt they'll come. Guess I'll just let the bride and groom know. My overwhelming thought it to just not go. I've had too many incidents like this in my life where I've felt like a total loser. Not sure if I want another.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

At my sisters wedding a friend of hers came on her own who knew absolutely no one.

My sister sat her beside my cute cousin who was on his own and they hit it off.....they are still dating now!

Go and laugh.....Ask the Bride if there are any other singletons going! :D

Don't bring someone to fill a seat.....its a long enough day without you having to babysit someone for the sake of it.

Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

no date wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have asked a few people, but doubt they'll come. Guess I'll just let the bride and groom know. My overwhelming thought it to just not go. I've had too many incidents like this in my life where I've felt like a total loser. Not sure if I want another.
    Meh, if you've felt like a loser, it's entirely a self-imposed feeling that no-one around you cares about. I've been to numerous events on my own, just get chatting with people. Presumably everyone there will have at least one thing in common, namely that they know one of the couple, so that will give you a starting point. If you're sitting in a corner not interacting with anybody, then you will feel like a loser, and if you feel like a loser, you'll sit in the corner on your own

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Go it alone, there is no big shame in it, I dont see what all the fuss is about, I have friends going to weddings and panic about not havin a date and i just think its mad.

Im going to my friends wedding next month, All my old friends from school and home will be there with there husbands/wives, even my ex boyfriend will there there with his wife-to-be but im going alone as my guest cant make it anymore and I really dont care.

Once you get there you will meet people and you really will realise there was no need to worry so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being afraid you look like a loser for going to a wedding alone (when you know a lot of people there anyway) is a bit needy IMO.

And I doubt the bride and groom would be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

It depends on how many other people will be there that you know. Often times in weddings couples (especially married ones) are so sick of each others company that they would be happy to have an 'outsider' come and chat with them.

If all the other people that you know are in couples then its a tricky one. Would the couples mind you hanging off them for the night? If they are proper friends then they wont mind.

Do you feel crap that you are not bringing that someone special cos they have to work or feeling crap because you are bringing no one full stop? Because if your partner genuinely cant make it theres no shame in going alone-no one can turn down work in these recessionary times!

A gang of 5 of us at college and one girl is getting married in December. All others in long term relationships except me. Im panicking of course. I dont mind being single and I have to ask myself are they really good friends if I am worried what they will think when if I come alone? I am worried of course, just like you. Was actually thinking of not going aswell...

Are there any few buddies who could come and join you after the meal? I know you said the wedding is far away but they might make it up/down after work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Loads of people go to wedding alone. It's not a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you're going alone and know nobody there id understand, but surely if its a work do you'll know a good few people there. If thats the case i wouldnt be in the slightest bit bothered. Im more single than not most of the time, so id never leave the house if i was worried about going to events on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

Have you ever seen The Wedding Crashers?
    Weddings are often where people meet the love of their lives.
    I mean look at the whole set up - free food, booze on tap and everyone invited is a friend of the bride or groom.
    There's an atmosphere of love and sentimentality.
    Everyone is expecting to have a good time and enjoy the craic.
    Ideal for meeting the opposite sex.
    There will be plenty of single men and single women and everybody will be dancing with everyone else.
    With hundreds of people there nobody will miss you if you sneak off for sex with one of the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

I've never brought a date to a wedding. Always go it alone and have a grand time. Don't let it worry you. Everybody there has at least one thing in common with your, and that's the people that are getting married. You won't be stuck for conversation or fun on the day. Don't worry about it.

Advertisement