Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone like their jobs?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

I have had three jobs now since college. All have had their disadvantages and advantages, mainly disadvantages. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever have a job that I will be happy in. My latest job is far worse than the previous two... I just wonder does anybody love their job? or is it just a fact of life that your job should always be a pain in the ****.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

There are many people who hate their job. Unfortunatley, the majority of those people are working part-time jobs.

In reality everyone eventually hates their job...You start off, you like it, you love it...but doing it continuously can be dawnting.

Just sit at it....This is a recession, tough times have to be worked through. Your lucky enough to have a job.

be thankful!

I work 3 jobs and I hate 2 of them. Its very difficult working 8-4, 6-11 and then 1-10 on weekends. But its only because its summer. I know when college starts back up I'll be working to jobs with less time.....I'll probably be working 2 days a week(If I'm lucky)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like is to strong a word.

But for what I get paid for, it's an alright job. I've gotten paid less to do more in the past.

I find the people you work with makes the job enjoyable or not. If the're pricks, you're f**ked. If they're nice, you'll find yourself going drinking with them long after you leave that job.
    Brendog wrote: »
    I work 3 jobs and I hate 2 of them. Its very difficult working 8-4, 6-11 and then 1-10 on weekends. But its only because its summer. I know when college starts back up I'll be working to jobs with less time.....I'll probably be working 2 days a week(If I'm lucky)
    Does tax not make that overkill, or are you
    a) going to claim back tax at a later date?
    or
    b) not get taxed ;) on one of he jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I like my profession. Always have. Always knew what I wanted to do, since age 13, and I am still happy with my choice.

Might not always agree with the company's policies or the way things are handled, go through phases of absolutely hating or loving my workmates, don't always agree with the boss (any company I worked for so far), but hey, that's part of it, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

galah wrote: »
    I like my profession. Always have. Always knew what I wanted to do, since age 13, and I am still happy with my choice.

Might not always agree with the company's policies or the way things are handled, go through phases of absolutely hating or loving my workmates, don't always agree with the boss (any company I worked for so far), but hey, that's part of it, isnt it?

Ya same here, every job has it's boring and **** bits but for the most part I believe in what I do, it makes a difference and my work is recognised, have to deal with very stupid management decisions and management talk but that's par for the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I loved my last job is that is any help! I did 4 years in college and when I came out as a graduate my first job was tough going, I liked to work, just not the boss of the people I worked with.

My second job I loved, loved the work, the people were nice, the bosses easy to work with and very fair, decent money...but then the recession hit and that was the end of that !

I am lucky to be in the job I am in now, after months of unemployment, the job itself is grand, the bosses are awful but the people I work with are decent, the money is absolute rubbish, but beats the dole any day, and right now a job is a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My job has gotten worse since the recession. Much more pressure and much more understaffed. However because I'm there a lot longer than nearly everyone I work directly with, they come to me first with the choice of more hours if I want them, I don't do the crappy parts of the job that new people are landed with, and they work around me to an extent because I've been ill so they're cutting my hours at my request etc. The people I work with are great, the social life is great, I met my best friend working there and I've several other close friends there, though a lot of them left of course. I've loads of rights considering I'm only part-time too. And the pay is really good. The MAJOR problem I have with the job is that about half of the customers I deal with are rude ignorant pricks. So I don't exactly like my job, but I don't hate it. It's grand and I'm lucky to have it financing my way through college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

yes, no, yes, yes, yes...no, no, no , hell no, yes... repeat until 70 (if you make it)

Sometimes I find you just have to be a robot to get through the sh1te and sometimes it's a wonderful day and a pleasure to be there.. Focus on the stuff you enjoy and the other stuff just needs to be done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

For the most part I like my current job. Definitely agree that your workmates can make or break it for you.

I have worked in jobs in the past that I hated.

Started off with a job I liked but low paid.
    Moved on to a job I hated but better pay.
    Moved onto a job I hated with more pay again.
    Moved onto a job I liked a lot with the same pay.
    Then moved to a job I liked with much more pay.

So I suppose it goes like that until redundancy, retirement, death or a lotto win.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

ive been outta work last two years. you're lucky you've a job, as prob stated above.

Peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

love my job to bits 7 years in it now

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I enjoy mine. It is something I'm trained for, I'm good at it and it is in a good secure niche area. I'm getting loads of leadership experience that I wouldn't get anywhere else (the joys of understaffing....), so I fully plan on leveraging that when I move on in a few years time.

Of course, I've done my share of really crappy jobs - I mean, I couldn't get a good decent job during the Celtic Tiger era, so I fully appreciate the one I've got now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

It's all relative, ask me if I'd prefer to be on a yacht in the Caribbean and the answer is obvious. I don't like getting up in the mornings, but If I'm off on an awesome holiday I still don't like getting up in the morning, so that's not because I dislike my job.

On balance I like it. I was unemployed for more than a year and to be honest, being without purpose was a lot worse that having to go into a sucky job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Firstly try and control all you can in a job search, try and find out your strengths and weakness and choose a job that plays to your strengths.

It is worth paying money for a career and educational assessment so that any weaknesses you may have can be identified and any knowledge and skills you are good at can be worked on and expanded. It is hard for an individual to identify his own strengths and weaknesses and it may need an outsider to see them. Look for feedback from all people you deal with, teachers, parents, colleagues, bosses etc,,,,, but always be aware of the vested interests behind the answers. A parent will always give a favourable answer while a boss will always minimise any contribution to avoid demands for more money.

Make out a development plan to get a better job or more bargaining power, more skills, more versatility etc.... Work on areas you find hard or difficult so that they become easier over time.

AVOID like the plague people who are negative, pessimistic, backbiting etc... they only pull you down and if you are seen associating with them too much it is only human nature for a boss to think you are negative as well.

Do not express your true opinions about anybody at work unless they are favourable. If someone screws up and its not your job to report them keep your opinions to yourself. If it affects your job and is your duty to do so then do it and move on. Of course any safety or legal stuff should be reported as it jeapordises your workplace and your job. Nobody likes a snitch who is always telling tales and trying to get everyone in trouble but don't let discretion get you into trouble.

Another minefield is personal relationships at work, avoid them as they are fraught with difficulties. What do you do if you have a row with a girlfirend/boyfriend and you have to work with them 40 hrs a week?
    What if they become your boss and have it in for you at promotion time?

Always do the right thing even if it means taking pressure from other colleagues who are collectively doing the wrong thing, such as sciving off early for football finals etc... You may not be found out today but sometime a crackdown will happen, change of boss or company takeover, and lax practices will be punished if they are allowed to creep in.

Long lunch breaks, coming in late, skipping off early etc is a minefield, always be able to account for every minute of your day, keep records to do so and have a plan to get through audits and crackdowns which will happen from time to time in any company. As you develop a reputation as an honest, reliable, straigh shooter work will actually become easier, you will not be watched all the time and you will become trusted and may even enjoy your job more. Senior management, if they are any good at all, will see you as a trusted ally and will support you if a junior boss tries to make life difficult. In difficult situations you can call on your solid reputation if you have taken the time and trouble to build one up, otherwise things can be difficult if no one believes you.

Get into the habit now of writing down everything and organising your work regarding messages, things to do, checklists etc. I find as one gets older the memory cannot be relied on and I need reminders and to do lists more often than before. Forgetting is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Find something you love to do, get a job doing it, and youll never work a day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

T-rev wrote: »
    Find something you love to do, get a job doing it, and youll never work a day in your life.

So true but not always that easy!
    Some days i really enjoy my job & certainly enjoy certain aspects of the job. Other days, i struggle. But hey, it pays the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

I've been at my current job for 4 years, I enjoy it more and more everyday. Even though I love going working, I'm leaving soon.
    My job has nothing to do with what I'm qualified to do or what I want to end up doing, so sometimes enjoying a job is not enough to stay at the same one.

I know the job I'm leaving it for will not give me as much enjoyment as my current job, but it will give me a step in the direction of a job I really want a future in.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Don't like my job but don't complain about it as much now. Realise how lucky I am just to have one in the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I love my job. Was lucky enough to change career two years ago and now delighted with change....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

the_syco wrote: »

Does tax not make that overkill, or are you
    a) going to claim back tax at a later date?
    or
    b) not get taxed ;) on one of he jobs?
    Brendog wrote: »

Tax credits are calculated on a yearly basis, Brendog will be using credits accumulated since January, also 3 part-time jobs = no employee PRSI contributions ;)

I Worked four part-time jobs all through my part-time degree and was always able to claim almost all my tax back on grounds that I was paying tuition fees.

I have had jobs that I loved, moved on for career advancement and change of circumstances, dependant mainly on management of the business and my co-workers but to a certain degree also the clients (did bar work and managed a bookmakers which I hated!) and the actual job itself. If you find a position with a combination of all three and your landed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

chops1990 wrote: »
    ive been outta work last two years. you're lucky you've a job, as prob stated above.

Peace :)

That has to be one of the most irritating things in the world to hear. Ever.

• Advertisement

• I grew up being told that everyone hates their job and to suck it up and just put up with it. I don't believe it at all. I've really liked the last few jobs I've had, especially teaching English. It hardly feels like work and sometimes I almost feel disappointed when I have to finish up a good class. I'm going into a new career now and I love it so far (I've been freelancing) - stress/pressure is incredible sometimes, but the buzz is amazing. I go in not knowing who I'm going to meet and what I'm going to be dealing with. I've had a few office jobs where I was miserable and I've realised that office jobs are for me. I can't stand the office politics, or even just sitting in front of a computer all day trying to look busy while completing mindless tasks. I've come to realise it's worth working bad hours/weekends and not having the cushy internet access/unlimited coffee to have an interesting, challenging job where I have loads of different things to do. Don't settle for a job you really don't enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not particularly in love with the job I have now but the people I work with are ace. The job that I now look back on as my favourite didn't feel like it at the time, but working in bad jobs makes you appreciate the good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I'm currently not working (about to go into college) but worked full time in the last 2 years in Ireland. I have found the Irish to be a lot more accepting of being in a ****ty job situation than the Dutch. The Dutch will complain faster and insist that working should be fun, whereas many of the Irish (only going on what I have seen directly) seem allright with it if their job is b*ll*cks as long as they've something good waiting at the end of the day (a pint in the pub, a shag with their partner, a walk with the new puppy, whatever..).
    I've worked for 2 reasonably large companies in Galway and didn't particularly like either. In both cases I didn' t enjoy the work (it was contact centre based customer service) but in the first job they did put a lot of effort into team building and the management was very approachable. In the second job, this was not so much the case. Unfortunately that place discriminated somewhat against the non Irish people, even though they were largely dependant on the people with the second language.

Advertisement