Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tulfarris 10 - Sat 7th August 2010

• 21-07-2010 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone doing this, The Tulfarris 10 Mile Road Race on 7th August 2010?
    This is a Road Running race over an accurately measured course of exactly 10 miles
    Course marked on the road (Both miles and kilometers) and measured w/c 19th July for anyone that wishes to do a training run, cycle or drive round the race route.
    The course is undulating in parts so is more a tough ten than classic PB material but the views will make it worthwhile for sure

Looks good, signed up for it ages ago.

Webpage:
    http://tulfarris10.com/

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 8 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    87%
    Mr Freezewilson8862Louisburgh lasswatergalcphowlinWonkagirlwgtomblin 7 votes
    3 stars (average)
    12%
    Lad GAGA 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Signed up for this, looking forward to it after having done half marathon in Ballybunion in April. Hope the scenery is as interesting!

Was putting it on long figure for a while as had a few other things on so missed the early worm (?) price but not to worry!

After this, aiming for half marathon in Pheonix Park in Sept, then hopefully full in October, all going well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

4 stars (good)
    10k is the most I have ran, I am in for a big shock in Tulfarris.

You sound like you are in good shape for it Qwerty!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 wilson8862

4 stars (good)
    Yep, I'm in for this too. First race in a couple of years, and really looking forward to it.

Nice part of the world, so fingers crossed for decent weather. Good idea to mark the course early....might well do a recce the previous weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Just a reminder to any boardies interested in this that early entry price of €35 ends on this Sun 25th at midnight!

Measuring and marking of course in miles done earlier in the week by AAI certified measurer so hopefully it turns out to be exacly right distance for the Garmin guys n gals who no doubt will be checking :D.
    Km marking on road are a rough indication only - taken from vehicle speedo which was a bit out but we will try to get the 10k mark fairly accurate by race day.

4 stars (good)
    Can anyone recommend any where in Blessington or nearby to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    Anyone been out on these roads- just wondering what kind of inclines to expect?

I'm going to go hell for leather for the next 10 days (apart from Galway races which is 3 days out of the training- oops!)

Got great motivation this am on Newstalk from the '32 marathons in 32 days' guys- they did their PB after 2 weeks and said they'd been getting stronger and stronger every day- so i figure ican do the same between now and tulfarris!

am only up to 9km or so at the moment.. planning a 12km run this sunday, then i'll just have to hope for the best on the day:D

4 stars (good)
    Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Anyone been out on these roads- just wondering what kind of inclines to expect?

They have a Garmin link on their site:
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/37833758

Looks quite hilly alrite, especially the 1st half.

As for training, ran a 10k road race on Saturday, am prone to injuries, and survived that ok, I might not chance running again before Tulfarris, just run it at a slow pace.

4 stars (good)
    that's good CKW, the shins are on the mend so, just in time!

I'm going to struggle in tulfarris on the basis of those inclines, big time. but it'll be excellent training for GFW.

4 stars (good)
    It sure will be good training.

Shins held up ok, but if I run again this week, they will flare up, it seems to be the trend so far anyways.

I have no choice to take Tulfarris slowly, I had hoped to be a lot fitter and injury free when I signed up ages ago and run a good pace, but sadly can't chance that now.

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any where in Blessington or nearby to stay?

Tulfarris Hotel itself might be worth a call? They might have some deal tied in with the race.

Rathsallagh House is not too far away, and has a fairly good rep. Might be pricey....depends what you're after, I suppose.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I have no choice to take Tulfarris slowly, I had hoped to be a lot fitter and injury free when I signed up ages ago and run a good pace, but sadly can't chance that now.

story of my life- i was aiming to smash an hour off my GFW time from last yr- will be lucky to do it in the same time at the rate i'm going- but sure it's always the way

at least we're doing the races- have a look at your friends, how many of them would have the balls? certainly in my case, about 5% of them MAX. granted, birds are generally not as active, but still. they all think i've lost the plot doing this kind of thing. losers :D:D:D

ETA- rathsallagh is gorgeous but very pricey- youd be talking 200+. A nice b&b might be the job, a lovely fry up from bean an ti! or there's a quality inn out on the M7 near naas- depends on how close you want to stay./how much u want to spend.. the osprey in naas has a pretty cool leisure centre if that floated your boat. or there's the blessington hotel, which i'd imagine is cheaper than tulfarris or rathsallagh.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for the suggestions, everywhere is booked up...

Got somewhere in Clane, twill do at this late stage.

Must take a spin around the course when I get up there on the 6th, anyone here familiar with the course?

From looking at the garmin profile, its probably gonna be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 watersurfer

Hey here is some info on Hotels etc in the area.

http://www.poulaphoucahouse.com

http://www.avonri.com/

http://www.maudlinshousehotel.ie/ (naas)

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g551559-Naas_County_Kildare-Vacations.html

Blessington Tourist Office
    Unit 5,The Craft Centre, Blessington
    Tel: +353 (0)45 865850

Email: blessingtontouristoffice@eircom.net

Map: click here

Will try did up some more .

Hope its a help .

4 stars (good)
    I clearly had my head up my ass when i signed up for this- would have been an idea to check out the garmin first- it looks pretty tough. Wondering am I mad taking part, given my current form barely covers 10km on the flat?

I have no issue walking bits of the steep inclines but I really dont want to be the langer coming in last either- that's never good for the soul.. i really only signed up to use it as GFW training, but now i'm worried i'll be in bits after it and that it'll do little more than fook up my legs for GF- opinions? Is the field likely to be a pretty serious one or will there be others like me?

planning on doing a 12km tonight, but that'll be the extent of it- might try and fit in a 5km tempo run on wed/thurs, although really i should be resting from wed, or is 10miles too short to include a rest?

ahh!!!!!!!

4 stars (good)
    Ya It looks very tough, but i am only using it as a training run, I don't care if I am last I plan to just plod it at my ease.

If I can run 16k before GF, I am in a good shape, I then have 2 weeks to recover if the shins flare up, hopefully they wont. Its doable.

Regarding how serious the field will be, Excuseless should be able to answer that for us?

4 stars (good)
    god yeah, i'd be delighted if i managed to run 16km prior to gaelforce, that would be a real boost! i wont manage some of the steeper inclines on sat i dont think but as long as i walk them as fast as i can manage i'll be happy.. havent ever done more than 10km really, so a hillly 10miler was probably a bit ambitious! but to be fair, it'll be similar to GFW on aug 21 so better to do it (even if i come last) that not do it..

be careful of those shins CK, especially on the downhill bits on sat. I'm sure you'll be fine though, the 2 weeks rest you already took was very wise.

4 stars (good)
    Ya I didn't run at all last week, just 4 cycles, am killed out, so need this week to recover, will have to try a very short 4 or 5k run Wednesday, then rest till Saturday.

Its taper down time now for me, no running after Tullfarris, just one more cycle after it.

Doing Tulfarris whether you have to walk the odd hill are not will really stand to you in Gaelforce. Be laughing along that 1st 12k!

4 stars (good)
    jesus i'm ramping up big time until aug 17th, i know i'm probably leaving it a bit late, but there'll be no tapering for me until the tues before..! i'm doing the hellfire duathlon a few days after tulfarris, probably madness, but that's me all over.. doing a LSR this evening and a cycle after if i can manage it. no shin/knee problems (little wonder i dont have shin or knee problems, the little training i've been doing:D)

4 stars (good)
    Well I am tapering down early as I am so injury prone this year.

Looking forward to tullfarris anyways, looking at the garmin route the 2nd half of it wont be too bad, mostly down hill, bar one large climb in the last mile.

The 1st half though is gonna be pure hell...All climbing nearly.

Haven't heard of the Hellfire, just as well I would probably have signed up for that too.

4 stars (good)
    hellfire is a 3km run on hellfire hills, then 17km cycle, then 3km run to finish.. entrants were limited to 300 and i think those 300 will nearly all be taking part in GFW from what i've seen. it's on aug 11th so only a few days after tulfarris, but (TOUCHING WOOD) i'm not that injury prone (not in the legs anyway) so hopefully i'll be ok..

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Sounds like a nice event...good distances, you should be able to tear into that one once you get over the hills at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Think of doing Tulfarris myself. It's a lovely route and Tulfarris Hotel is a great venue.

Doing Hellfire so it's a tad bit close to that.

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Think of doing Tulfarris myself. It's a lovely route and Tulfarris Hotel is a great venue.

How "lovely" is the route? Enjoyable to run or tough as hell?

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »

I'm doing both (and indeed GFW like yourself)- i'm really only using tulf and hellfire as training exercises for GFW to be honest. They're all reasonably close together right enough, but i'll only be going hell for leather on aug 21. Hellfire is short and really only consistent with the type of training you should be doing 10 days prior to GFW anyway, at 23 km?

Also, i've really only done about 4 competitive races as an adult, so i figure the more actual races i take part in the less nervous i'll get on the day. I'm getting nervous right now about saturday already! i wouldnt mind, but i'm not a nervous person at ALL! Does anyone else get that?? I mean it's not so bad that i'd feel sick or anything, but i do get a small bit panicky- especially as i've had some training runs where it just hasnt happened for me.. i guess if i'd done the right amount of training in the first place i'd ahve little to be nervous about, but it's a tad too late for that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

4 stars (good)
    I clearly had my head up my ass when i signed up for this- would have been an idea to check out the garmin first- it looks pretty tough. Wondering am I mad taking part, given my current form barely covers 10km on the flat?

I have no issue walking bits of the steep inclines but I really dont want to be the langer coming in last either- that's never good for the soul.. i really only signed up to use it as GFW training, but now i'm worried i'll be in bits after it and that it'll do little more than fook up my legs for GF- opinions? Is the field likely to be a pretty serious one or will there be others like me?

planning on doing a 12km tonight, but that'll be the extent of it- might try and fit in a 5km tempo run on wed/thurs, although really i should be resting from wed, or is 10miles too short to include a rest?

ahh!!!!!!!

I have power-walked uphill past people trying to jog up steep hills.
    Basically if I know I'm going to be quicker walking instead of jogging with baby-steps, then I walk and have passed many people while doing this. Then when you get to the top, you'll be able to start running again a lot quicker than those that have struggled up the hill.
    So basically - don't be afraid to walk as it's the better tactic in a lot of cases !

Worry not about the "serious types" doing the race Wonkagal - all good GFW training indeed.
    Serious sorts are fairly scarce and it will be mainly be regular runners and I know a few locals are planning on walking it so it will be fairly relaxed all round.
    Numbers will be small - expecting somewhere between 150 and 200 so no big race pressures on anyone.

On-line entry is now closed but we will take entries on the day at Registration on Saturday morning between 9 and 10.30am

The Helly Hansen running tops are worth the entry alone IMHO:)

It is more of a "Tough Ten" than a PB type of course but roads should be very quiet in general (Might be a bit busy by country standards between 5 and 7km) and there are some great lake and mountain views on the route.

There are team trophies on offer (First 4 home from each club to count) so well worth the boardies getting together to enter team in mens and womens sections I think - just let us know at registration if you want to be listed as Boards AC if not already entered as such.

4 stars (good)
    Thanks, will definitely put down Boards AC now!

4 stars (good)
    thanks watergal and excuseless, i feel much better now! Gonna register early on the day to make sure i get a small HH T-shirt, there's been so much hoo-haa about them- but you're right, the entry price alone is worth that.

Will register as Boards AC so- god help us i'll probably still not come in the top4 if there are about 5 of us:D

weather 4cast looks reasonably good, should be a nice morning out!

Feck it, I'll do this so. Could do with a Helly top.

Sure I'll probably win the fecking thing.*

*Declan Moffit.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    thanks watergal and excuseless, i feel much better now! Gonna register early on the day to make sure i get a small HH T-shirt, there's been so much hoo-haa about them- but you're right, the entry price alone is worth that.

Will register as Boards AC so- god help us i'll probably still not come in the top4 if there are about 5 of us:D

weather 4cast looks reasonably good, should be a nice morning out!

I'll ask to get my registration changed to Boards AC too.
    Have a bbq at 2.30 in Harolds cross so as long as I'm back for that I'm happy !

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

hey guys,i entererd this race on run ireland but when i went to tulfarris website it said online entry was closed!

i think my credit card was charged cos i got a run ireland email receipt

anyone know what the story is with that ?

4 stars (good)
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    hey guys,i entererd this race on run ireland but when i went to tulfarris website it said online entry was closed!

i think my credit card was charged cos i got a run ireland email receipt

anyone know what the story is with that ?

Hi,

I would just bring my recepit to registration. I entered another event a few weeks ago via runireland and when I went to pick up my number, I wasn't on the list as the names from runireland hadn't yet come through- or the organisers hadn't loaded the most recent list of names ..( I entered the day before the event). The organisers said fine -and I got my number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I'll enter as Boards AC on the day as well!

Im coming form Harolds Cross as well Watergal so I'll race you and see whose back home first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

just to say guys fromtulfarris were in touch andproblemwith my booking on run ireland should be sorted

4 stars (good)
    nachoqueen wrote: »
    just to say guys fromtulfarris were in touch andproblemwith my booking on run ireland should be sorted

good stuff !

AM lovin' this :

"Final nerves" toilet facilities in the forest will be "au naturale"!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Qwerty27 wrote: »
    I'll enter as Boards AC on the day as well!

Im coming form Harolds Cross as well Watergal so I'll race you and see whose back home first!!!

I don't think you'll need to put in too much effort to beat me at that stage !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

I think it says it all when organisers send out a mail days before the race saying that it's a 'tough ten' not a 'pb ten'..Lovely! Im driving from Cork..Better be able to drive home afterwards!! Regardless, Im training for a marathon in November so no notions of breaking course or world records at all!!

Should be good craic and there should be plenty of encouragement for all us 'hill strugglers'!!

Wish I was doing GFW..it seems every year something is on that weekend that means I cant do it..THis year it's my brother's wedding..Selfish ba***rd!! :D

Good luck to all on Saturday! NO doubt we'll be on here next week re-hashing it!

4 stars (good)
    Heading for Wicklow after lunch today, and staying over to be fresh in the morning for the run.

Might take a spin around the course too!

Anyways Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!!!! Hopefully bump into one or 2 of ye there, who knows!.

4 stars (good)
    altercor wrote: »
    Wish I was doing GFW..it seems every year something is on that weekend that means I cant do it..THis year it's my brother's wedding..Selfish ba***rd!! :D
    !

oh i'd be raging!

i actually got invited to a wedding on 21 aug of an old friend- well, to be honest, my best friend when i was a teenager. Now, i hardly ever see her any more. Does it make me a very very very VERY bad person that i RSVP'd 'No' so that I could go to GFW instead? I told her i had another wedding on, not that i was taking part in a race. was too ashamed.

i've been feeling bad about it like!

Good luck tomrw all!

oh i'd be raging!

i actually got invited to a wedding on 21 aug of an old friend- well, to be honest, my best friend when i was a teenager. Now, i hardly ever see her any more. Does it make me a very very very VERY bad person that i RSVP'd 'No' so that I could go to GFW instead? I told her i had another wedding on, not that i was taking part in a race. was too ashamed.

i've been feeling bad about it like!

Good luck tomrw all!

Just make sure a photo of you doesn't end up in one of the newspapers the
    following day.

i called sick into work once to go to Slane. Got a phonecall from the boss the next day telling me to look at page 5 of the Mirror. Lo and behold, there's a photo of me having a great time at Slane! Luckily he saw the funny side of it.

Still in two minds about the race tomorrow. It looks like I might have to cycle 20km to the start.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    jesus, cringer re slane

nerraw, you may as well. as has been mentioned many times, great HH tech tops on offer! a 20km cycle/16km run is about half what you'll be doing on Aug 21, so the reality is it's the very least you should be doing tomorrow anyhow! i'll be doing a spin later that afternoon

have been trying to train in order- run then cycle.

4 stars (good)
    Nerraw, i'll be driving down via tallaght & blessington tomorrow if that's any good to you? In fact, have room in the car for a couple more if anyone needs a lift from dublin in the morning? Leaving templeogue area around 8.45/9.00.

PM me if interested,
    Wilson.

4 stars (good)
    yes sorry, meant to also offer. i'll be leaving lansdowne at 9am

Cheers for the offers. I think i have a lift sorted for the morning from Blessington.

If you see anyone thumbing at Blessington wearing asics, be sure to pick me up as my lift is still in bed.

See you all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

3 stars (average)
    Hello Boardies
    Long time observer, first time poster. Anyway starting my first ten miler in a long, long time tomorrow as part of my attempted assault on my first marathon in October. Best of luck to everyone taking part, the forecast isn't looking too good!

4 stars (good)
    Just drove the route!

:eek:

It's the toughest route I will ever run!

4 stars (good)
    Just drove the route!

:eek:

It's the toughest route I will ever run!

It was tough alright but I enjoyed it ! got a stitch at 7 miles so had to slow right down for a mile until it had subsided.
    Came in around 1:23 which I was happy with seeing as I had to shuffle for that mile.
    Didn't see any other ladies registered as boardies ..and only one guy down as a boardie ??
    That was my practice for C.P. in 2 weeks time !

4 stars (good)
    Really well run event, twas tough as hell but enjoyed it.

That must have been you in the pink top infront of me so Watergal, I did it in 1:23:26. Well done, you were flying it, there was no catching ya.

Congratulations to all who participated in the inaugural Tulfarris 10 Race.
    Overall winners were Martin Conroy in the mens and Emma Donlon in the ladies

LINK TO PRELIMINARY RESULTS HERE: http://www.tulfarris10.com/

Final results and Photos to follow Shortly

4 stars (good)
    5 stars from me. Great route & organisation, nice laid-back atmosphere. Nice shirts too...lived up to the hype!

Good value race at the 29 euro i paid, but the 45e would have been too steep for me.
    Still, a great addition to the race calendar, and i'd hope to see it back next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement