Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tulfarris 10 - Sat 7th August 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

4 stars (good)
    5 stars from me too! soooo glad i did it.. was nervous as hell (so much so that i forgot to register as BOARDS)- came in at 1.29 which i was over the moon with, given it's the longest i've ever run, and the conditions were tough!

CKW introduced himself to me on the road (before he took off!!) but didnt meet any other boardies.

Legs are in bits! really really sore. hope i'll be ok tomorrow, had planned on doing a 40km spin, might take the day off though. Hellfire on Wednesday- no rest for the wicked!

Well done to the organisers, paul & brian always run superb events. Better sign up for achill roar b4 it's too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race over a fantastic course. Really enjoyed today, well except the last mile.

Very scenic and those roads were made for running with lovely rolling hills. Got around in 75 mins with a neg split which I'm chuffed about. Great organisation and atmosphere. The mc is good craic

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

3 stars (average)
    Jeez that was a nice handy one for my first ten miler!!! Was delighted to get through it but the last two miles, especially from 8-9, was really tough, was nearly at a standstill trying to get up that last hill. Did it in 92 minutes which for the course that was in it I was happy enough with. Well organised and a nice mixed crowd doing the run, sure what else would you be doing on a Saturday? Roll on a half marathon, somewhere, next.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

4 stars (good)
    CKWPORT wrote: »
    Really well run event, twas tough as hell but enjoyed it.

That must have been you in the pink top infront of me so Watergal, I did it in 1:23:26. Well done, you were flying it, there was no catching ya.

'twas me in the pink top alright ! you couldn't but see me in that thing ( no washing done this week, so what was clean had to be worn)
    so that was you in the blue on my tail !
    think the only thing taking flight was my lungs ...

well done to everyone. Legs are fine which means they'll probably hurt tomorrow ..and of course I stand corrected..after looking at the results there were a few guys down as boards and I wasn't the only ladee down either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Wow..What a tough tenner! I thought it was the first two miles that did it for me. COuldnt find a stride and catch my breath for ages! Was happy with my time considering the world of pain i was in though! Got in just under the 70mins.. Straight in to the car and back to my brother's stag!

Are anyone's glutes killin' them??

Nice event, tough course, organisers were great and very helpful!

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    oh i'd be raging!

i actually got invited to a wedding on 21 aug of an old friend- well, to be honest, my best friend when i was a teenager. Now, i hardly ever see her any more. Does it make me a very very very VERY bad person that i RSVP'd 'No' so that I could go to GFW instead? I told her i had another wedding on, not that i was taking part in a race. was too ashamed.

i've been feeling bad about it like!

Good luck tomrw all!

D'ya think I could do the same with my brother's wedding? I mean, we don't even live together anymore..Havent done so since we were kids..:D:D

4 stars (good)
    altercor wrote: »
    Are anyone's glutes killin' them??

Glutes and Quads.. particularly the latter. VERY stiff!! Considering the longest i'd run before was 10km, i suppose it's to be expected. Guzzling water today to try to recover, but

One thing i learnt from sat- my hydration is all off. Even though i drank 3lts (potentially closer to 4) on sat, my pee was still dark orange by the end of the day.. so clearly, i was totally dehydrated going into the race.. yet, i felt like i needed to pee all the way through the 10 miler?

i dunno.. i think i need to take on more a few days before, rather than the day of the race. but it's all over the place anyway!

Glutes and Quads.. particularly the latter. VERY stiff!! Considering the longest i'd run before was 10km, i suppose it's to be expected. Guzzling water today to try to recover, but

One thing i learnt from sat- my hydration is all off. Even though i drank 3lts (potentially closer to 4) on sat, my pee was still dark orange by the end of the day.. so clearly, i was totally dehydrated going into the race.. yet, i felt like i needed to pee all the way through the 10 miler?

i dunno.. i think i need to take on more a few days before, rather than the day of the race. but it's all over the place anyway!

Hills get at you on your arse on the way up and the quads on the way down.. I had done a lot of strength work on quads (sprints, leg weights etc..) but none on my glutes (hill sprints etc..) and Saturday really exposed my weak arse!:o

You drank 3-4 ltrs after the race and your pee was still dark??? Now, that is strange. If you drank it before the race, as in that morning, then that would explain the needing to pee the whole way round.. and the subsequent dark pee.. Its not a good idea ot overload the water on the morning of a race i don't think. The day before is the time to have clear pee..and then hopefully it'll be clear the morning of aswell if you sip a bottle before race.

I'm dreading tomorrow...If one is usually more stiff 2 days after an event then I'll be walking like John Wayne..

4 stars (good)
    I'm dreading tomorrow...If one is usually more stiff 2 days after an event then I'll be walking like John Wayne..

I was just thinking the same thing- i'm likely to be even worse tomorrow- day 2 is always worse... i had a sports massage (bloody brilliant www.massagebypatrik.com) today so hopefully that might help

The 3-4ltr yet still dark pee thing is peculiar for sure. TMI, but my pee still hasnt run clear. I must have been chronically dehydrated going into the race (the bottle of vino on thurs nite didnt help i'd say). I think ur right about prehydrating in the days before the race.. i took on about a Litre (between 8-10am) on sat morning.. was that too much?

• Advertisement

Na, I think a litre is ok..One thing I do is do a good warm-up. This is for the obvious reason of the whole warming up thing but it also bounces my bladder in to submission before the race so I have to pee. I've noticed that after about 3-4 mins of running I always need to pee :D..So, I pee and that's me sorted for the race then..Unless it's a marathon, in which case I always need to pee at least once on route. It's reassuring in a marathon though..Means your not dying!!:)

Everyone is different though and it's better to have to pee than to have enough salt on your brow to douse your post-race chips!

4 stars (good)
    How are the legs today altercor? Mine are bad enough, the glutes are fine now but the quads are heavy and weak. having doubts about participating in the hellfire duathlon on wed now.

here's the thing- i needed to pee AND i had enough salt on my forehead for a weeks worth of chips!! it's all very strange really. Good tip re the warming up though- to jiggle the bladder about- and maybe if i just hold on til the very last minute before going, that also might help.

4 stars (good)
    Na, I think a litre is ok..One thing I do is do a good warm-up. This is for the obvious reason of the whole warming up thing but it also bounces my bladder in to submission before the race so I have to pee. I've noticed that after about 3-4 mins of running I always need to pee :D..So, I pee and that's me sorted for the race then..Unless it's a marathon, in which case I always need to pee at least once on route. It's reassuring in a marathon though..Means your not dying!!:)

Everyone is different though and it's better to have to pee than to have enough salt on your brow to douse your post-race chips!

My legs were fine afterwards. Went for a nice 10k run yesterday. Then out on the bike, but got called by work after an hour so had to turn back.
    I go up and down the hills in the pheonix park, so maybe that helped.

With regards to water - I drink 2 litres every day ( a bit more if I need to after training). Did the same last Fri- drank 2 litres and just a glass on Sat morning about 1.5 hr before the race so I could get a pee out.

Hydration should begin in the days leading up to an event- on the day you should just be topping up .. (IMHO of course !)

Legs are much better today really..Glut is still quite stiff but I'll do a session today to loosen it out. Ya, I can understand how your quads would be sore, the downhills (of which there were little!!) were quite fast. If you have a forward running stance at all downhill your quads would have taken a major beating.

Just think though, that was a seriously tough course so it's all tough miles in the bank! If you're training for something a bit longer then you can view that as one hell of a 'toughen up' session..I never knew i could do sub 7 min miles for ten miles so I learned a lot about myself sat too! (as well as learning about my lack of ass strength!).

All in all a job well done me thinks!

Tip o' the cap to all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Thanks to all for the positive comments since Saturday.

Hopefully the sore quads are somewhat improved today but think of the good it has done you particularly if in training for GF, Roar or WAR :)

Feel free to e-mail us at info@tulfarris10.comwith your feedback as we can put it up in a testimonial / feedback section on the siite which hopefully will encourage others to give the "Tough Ten" a go next year.

We are not aiming to have it a mass participation event with thousands but the reality is that we do need some more participants to make the event viable.

We decided to stay away from the whole "Goody Bag" lark and just give a reasonable entry price and something valuable and useful in terms of a momento, which we think the Helly Hansen tops were, along with a well marked, marshaled and organised event which I think we did given the positive feedback here and by e-mail.

Hopefully we will see more boardies back next year :)

Some photos from the event taken by journalist Lindie Naughton are now posted at http://www.tulfarris10.com/

Others photos from Ross Harding who was out on the course should be up by Tuesday evening when our webmaster returns from holidays

4 stars (good)
    Yes, who wants a goodie bag when you get a more reasonable entry price, and a bloody briliant HH tech top! Definitely the best i've seen.. gonna wear mine up the reek on aug 21, it seems to be good and warm. And most importantly, it matches my pink buff and cycling gloves :D

• Advertisement

Yes, who wants a goodie bag when you get a more reasonable entry price, and a bloody briliant HH tech top! Definitely the best i've seen.. gonna wear mine up the reek on aug 21, it seems to be good and warm. And most importantly, it matches my pink buff and cycling gloves :D

I couldnt agree more! Also, I felt that the small entry was great. The trek to the start made me feel like it was gonna be something a bit special/different, which it was.. Obviously to make it viable a bigger entry would be better but going on Saturdays level of organisation along with how accommodating and friendly the organisers/stewards were, I'm sure there will be plenty of people telling their mates to do it next year.

I just wish more races ditched the goody bag notion..If i get another sachet of shampoo or single serving of some vitamin tablet I'll go insane!

Well done Tulfarris!

4 stars (good)
    I just wish more races ditched the goody bag notion..If i get another sachet of shampoo or single serving of some vitamin tablet I'll go insane!

for sure.. all people want is a good tech top. Hats off to the lads for pulling off these HH ones. brian & paul (and the rest of the crew from sat) are a class act, roll on achill roar.

4 stars (good)
    I couldnt agree more! Also, I felt that the small entry was great. The trek to the start made me feel like it was gonna be something a bit special/different, which it was.. Obviously to make it viable a bigger entry would be better but going on Saturdays level of organisation along with how accommodating and friendly the organisers/stewards were, I'm sure there will be plenty of people telling their mates to do it next year.

Well done Tulfarris!

definitely ditch the goody bag. The amount of flyers/mini deodarants etc that are lying on the floor of my car is tragic ..
    ( should clean out my car though I suppose !)

wore my HH top yesterday out on the bike. I'll be wearing it as a base layer for GF.

4 stars (good)
    watergal wrote: »
    wore my HH top yesterday out on the bike. I'll be wearing it as a base layer for GF.

yeah me too. i definitely think it's substantial enough to take us up CP. i'm gonna wear another lighter tech top which i'll whip off (keep an eye out boys haha!) at the base of CP and do a switch.

got myself a new pair of fancy black and silver three quater length salomon cycling shorts- very cool- half price in the great outdoors. black waterproof northface goretex, then all the accessories are pink- cycling gloves, buff, beanie.. looking the part will be half the battle! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Well done everyone on saturday...great organisation and lovely scenic course...first mile was slower than last so happy with where I am for marathon..will try out my new top at weekend, hope it fits!! Good luck to everyone with their next event and/or their training!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You should be hydrated in the days before the race and the whole time, given the training.

If you're trying to hydrate yourself on the morning of the run, it's probably too late.

The tech tops are nice all right. But I think every race should have the option of whether you want one or not with a discount available. Some people have drawers full of techs.

Advertisement