Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of service - is this reasonable?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just want to get your opinion of a recent service we got to our 02 Astra. It was by far the most expensive service we've had on it since we bought it in 2007.

Now, this is in part cos of the new timing belt but still wanna get an opinion.

Oil Filter - 4.05
    GTX Magnetec Oil - 30.20
    Timing Belt Kit - 129
    Water Pump - 86.10
    Front Brake Pads - 37.95
    Environmental Charge- 4.80

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just want to get your opinion of a recent service we got to our 02 Astra. It was by far the most expensive service we've had on it since we bought it in 2007.

Now, this is in part cos of the new timing belt but still wanna get an opinion.

Oil Filter - 4.05
    GTX Magnetec Oil - 30.20
    Timing Belt Kit - 129
    Water Pump - 86.10
    Front Brake Pads - 37.95
    Environmental Charge- 4.80

Cheers

Looks about right to be honest. Service, brake pads and a belt and water pump for £400 isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

EPM wrote: »
    Looks about right to be honest. Service, brake pads and a belt and water pump for £400 isn't bad at all.

+1 Especially with the Timing Belt done. Seems fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

What mileage is on it and did the €400 include labour too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

What mileage is on it and did the €400 include labour too?

Labour included and it's on about 78k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seems a very reasonable price, where did you get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Thats very good value then. it should have taken the mechanic about 4 hours to do everything there which would have cost about €100 on labour.

I think you got a very good deal.

Did you get the old parts back? I always ask the mechanic to put the old parts in the boxes the new parts came in and put them all in the boot for me to take home. That way you know exactly what he has changed and if they were original parts or not. I always ask him to put whats left of the new oil in the boot too so i have some if i ever need to top it up.

That's very very reasonable OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i wopuld be very happy with that price....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you did some stuff yourself you could cut costs but that price seems on par with most mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Thats very good value then. it should have taken the mechanic about 4 hours to do everything there which would have cost about €100 on labour.

I think you got a very good deal.

Did you get the old parts back? I always ask the mechanic to put the old parts in the boxes the new parts came in and put them all in the boot for me to take home. That way you know exactly what he has changed and if they were original parts or not. I always ask him to put whats left of the new oil in the boot too so i have some if i ever need to top it up.

You're mechanic uses gallons of oil? I thought most guys would use barrels at this stage. Unless you get some obscure stuff :pac:
    Also I'd love to be able to get that work done for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have to agree with the above posters, sounds like a pretty good price for the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Strictly speaking this is not a service so you cannot compare previous bills. A timing belt alone on some models can be €450+ from some dealers so I think a service and a belt replacement at that price is very good.

mooman wrote: »
    You're mechanic uses gallons of oil? I thought most guys would use barrels at this stage. Unless you get some obscure stuff :pac:

Was thinking the same, most of them have 200L barrels of the common types of oil and 5 gallon drums of the fancy spec stuff for VAG and Ford diesels etc. Then you have the folks with just the 200L barrel of 10w40 that they throw in every car :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Seems a reasonable price to me, especially considering labour is included here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Take the cost of the timing belt out of it and youve got a service for about €160. Thats a pretty good price, especially if it was a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Thats a good price, very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seems a very reasonable price, where did you get it done?

McChesneys in Monaghan.

Always been happy enough with them. Just said I'd check to see what other people thought though.

Advertisement