Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Club "ban" use of semi-autos & pump actions at club clay shoot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

shedd7 wrote: »
    Sorry mate,safety is not conditional,particularly by people of various ability with firearms.

No matter what someones ability or experience with a firearm if they cannot handle and use it safely they shouldn't have it at all.

As stated here already if the Safety Officer believes there are people in the club who are not proficient in the use of their firearms he should endeavour to remedy the situation with proper instruction and not simply propose a ban on them using their firearms at a club shoot. Maybe a proposal to hold a proficiency/refresher course for all members would be a more sensible proposal from a Safety Officer?
    shedd7 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that someone who seems to know about the technical side of shooting is finding it so difficult to understand the basic,simple concept of safety.

It's because I do understand the technical side of shooting and I have the knowledge, & the ability to impart it to others, that I find the actions of this Safety Officer intolerable.

Sparks wrote: »
    You've actually been in contact with him then?

I haven't, but others have and he is point blank refusing to compromise or agree to discuss the matter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I haven't but others have and he is point blank refusing to compromise or discuss the matter :rolleyes:
    Well, that puts another spin on things.

Well, that puts another spin on things.

There's always a spin :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sorry mate,safety is not conditional,particularly by people of various ability with firearms. It is a must, not a must so long as I agree with how it is applied. I'm surprised that someone who seems to know about the technical side of shooting is finding it so difficult to understand the basic,simple concept of safety.

I am curious, it must be said, as to what it is about semi-auto shotguns that you may think may be so uniquely and inherently unsafe that they pose a particular hazard to safety which is not posed by manually readied shotguns, and which may support such a prohibition.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

There's always a spin :D

Cancel your shoot, have your AGM next year and don't propose him for any jobs on the committee.

Otherwise have the shoot bring your pumps and semi's he can decide who shoots or doesn't, ye can have yer AGM next year and see how well he does at voting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why wait that long?Call an EGM and let this offical put his case forward,whatever it is,and put up a counter proposal or vote of confidence in this person as a saftey officer.

I get the feeling he will be in the "idonlikedelookodat"stable of arguement.
    Possibly having the smart" busisness idea" of getting pumps and semis banned and making a sales by flogging your lads a rake of non moving O/U and SXS?? Or somone has in officaldom somwhere put the frightners on him somhow regarding these type of guns,and that they a re best got rid of?Not to mind that he wont discuss this shows that somthing is well fishy.

Better still,as this is a flapper ,when and where is it on?All of us pump and semi users turn up to go shooting.He will look a right CNUT turning away fee paying shooters from far and near and that will go down well with your comittee.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

EGM & counter proposals sorted. Will advise of outcome :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good man Bunny,dig in you'r heels.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Good man Bunny,dig in you'r heels.

TBH my heels aren't the only ones being dug in :cool:

Thanks to all, apart from one possible troll, for posts here. Nice to see fellow shooters supporting each other instead of shafting each other :cool:

• Advertisement

EGM was held last night.

My counter proposal was carried - 13 for, 1 against and 2 abstentions

Common sense has prevailed :cool: :)

My counter proposal was basically that guns will be checked to ensure they're empty & unloaded after firing on each stand by the person in charge of each stand and then gun is to be put into a slip/box until ready to shoot on next stand.

Oh, and I'm the "new" safety officer :eek:

The next thread on problems at the gun club should be interesting so ;)
    You know Bunny, you're now the one responsible for making it all run perfectly and addressing every complaint from anyone... :D
    Welcome to the sanity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well done bunny, good result

I hope no ones nose was out of joint after the meeting though

The next thread on problems at the gun club should be interesting so ;)

:D
    You know Bunny, you're now the one responsible for making it all run perfectly and addressing every complaint from anyone... :D

I do. I like a challenge :D
    Welcome to the sanity ;)

Been here before ;)

Vegeta wrote: »
    Well done bunny, good result

Cheers. TBH it was an unnecessary distraction :o
    Vegeta wrote: »
    I hope no ones nose was out of joint after the meeting though

Well there is one, which is unfortunate BUT he reaped what he sowed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

EGM was held last night.

My counter proposal was carried - 13 for, 1 against and 2 abstentions

Common sense has prevailed :cool: :)

My counter proposal was basically that guns will be checked to ensure they're empty & unloaded after firing on each stand by the person in charge of each stand and then gun is to be put into a slip/box until ready to shoot on next stand.

Good on ya:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good to hear basic cop on still exists.:).Maybe get a bunch of chamber unloaded flags for the pump and semi guys too?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ...........Maybe get a bunch of chamber unloaded flags for the pump and semi guys too?

Excellent suggestion any links?

Excellent suggestion any links?
    Starting already, getting everyone else to do the work, sheesh... :D
    Here :
    http://www.claypigeoninstructor.co.uk/shopsafetyflags.htm
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=535054

Good result, well done.Safety Flag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No need to spend that kind of dosh for flags. PM me for a better and very cheap way.

Starting already, getting everyone else to do the work, sheesh... :D

I was born to delegate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I was born to delegate :D

Just remember never ask someone to do something you are not prepared to do yourself ;)

homerhop wrote: »
    Just remember never ask someone to do something you are not prepared to do yourself ;)

Or haven't done yourself :D;)

bunny shooter for the laugh, you should tell all the lad's with the semi-autos, and village pump's to boycot the shoot and go have a ****.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So before the vote, did the guy make any attempt to justify his position? I am still most curious as to what his supposed logic was.

NTM

So before the vote, did the guy make any attempt to justify his position? I am still most curious as to what his supposed logic was.

NTM

+1

NTM

TBH at the EGM all he was saying was that the whole concept of the EGM was "unconstitutional" and that semis & pumps "are inheritently more dangerous than other guns" and tbh he made a fool of himself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

To satisfy my own curiousity, does this particular dealer/ex-safety officer still sell pump and semis which he regards as more dangerous than other shotguns? Or did anyone bring that up at the EGM?

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    To satisfy my own curiousity, does this particular dealer/ex-safety officer still sell pump and semis which he regards as more dangerous than other shotguns?

He has and does. He sold a semi to a friend of mine not too long ago :eek:
    johngalway wrote: »
    Or did anyone bring that up at the EGM?

It was brought up, not by me, and his answer was "I advise people before they buy them that they shouldn't" :confused:

Advertisement